FACT (Re: Maia vs. Masvidal)

Stopped reading after "fact" a, maia was close to getting his shit pushed in and masvidal was never in that kind of danger

My favorite Maia fight:
http://i27.tinypic.com/2vmj950.jpg

jkd4200 - 
Positive Energy - 

Maia fights are great for exposing who the dumbest people on the UG are...this thread has rooted out at least one.

You are actually correct... you find out how people don't really understand MMA or jiu jitsu.

Its crazy how many "hardcore" fans don't understand the ground game.

Maia is the perfect example of an MMA fighter.

Cant wait for him to take Woodley back. It will be a very interesting study of combat.

Rickson Gracie Jiu Jitsu at its finest.

yup

mada - 
Steve_73 -

Maia won that easily. Masvidal did next to nothing.

He certainly won but Masvidal did more damage than Maia's last 5 opponents combined. It wasn't that easy. 

I think he means easy to score, not to do.  

Yes it was much harder than his last fights but his last fights he took very little damage.  

I dont know how anyone who watched that fight thinks Maia didnt win.  He easily controlled position 80 % of the fight.  

lol @ 3 strikes.  What fight did that guy watch?? 

Does Maia retire after he beats woodley? He's almost 40

I had it 3-0.for Maia. Don't understand the split at all. Maia was never hurt and Masvidal spent half the fight fighting off chokes.

Maia won that fight quite clearly I thought but Jorge should take a big rise in that he did better than a lot of guy's.

jkd4200 -
Politically Incorrect - 

Maia was 0/6 in takedowns in the 2nd round. 

You confuse takedowns with getting your shit stuffed and then taking someone's back for intermittent periods between getting your face beat in. 

P.S. Maia won with landing 3 significant strikes, a UFC record in a decision "win." 

train some jiu jitsu...

you will learn what a sweep is.

:)

When he pulled half guard and swept him it was a thing of beauty. 

MagSlim -
jkd4200 -
Politically Incorrect - 

You confuse takedowns with getting your shit stuffed and then taking someone's back for intermittent periods between getting your face beat in. 

P.S. Maia won with landing 3 significant strikes, a UFC record in a decision "win." 

train some jiu jitsu...

He is so 1 dimensional that he absolutely must incorporate that 50-50 Ryan Hall style into his game more. Things weren't looking good in the 3rd until he pulled. He gasses himself out working so hard on those takedowns as well. I wonder if Woodley will KO him if given that 1 burst on the ground like Masvidal gave him with the hammerfists when he gets stuck opened up. 

newjack900 -
MagSlim -
jkd4200 -
Politically Incorrect - 

train some jiu jitsu...

He is so 1 dimensional that he absolutely must incorporate that 50-50 Ryan Hall style into his game more. Things weren't looking good in the 3rd until he pulled. He gasses himself out working so hard on those takedowns as well. I wonder if Woodley will KO him if given that 1 burst on the ground like Masvidal gave him with the hammerfists when he gets stuck opened up. 

He has wrestling and BJJ - that's hardly one dimensional. No he's not a NCAA div 1 wrestler but he does have pretty decent takedowns - especially single legs. 

I think Woodley is an extremely tough fight for him though. I will be rooting for Maia but stylistically someone with great TD defence and KO power will give him trouble - and that's exactly what Woodley is

Dominant positions give the fighters advantageous positions to deliver more damage.  Without that damage, I don't think dominant positions should count for much. 

Regarding the Maia fight last night, I thought it was a clear 29-28 for Maia.