Family coat of arms tattoos.....

Anyone got one? Seems to be popular with guys of a certain fair skinned ancestry .
Just found mine.... Phone Post 3.0

99 views and no replies? I know some of the bad asses on here have them Phone Post 3.0

I do. I found a bunch of stuff my Grandfather had on my Mom's side. He had some mugs, plates, etc. All real old stuff.

I ended up getting it after my Mom passed.

I have a badass coat of arms. It's 2 Celtic lions holding up a severed hand that's dripping blood.

I've always wanted to get it tattooed but I want to tweak it to make the lions more realistic rather than the Celtic look.

Not sure where to put it either. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah , I wanted mine to look almost illustrated with cross hatching, shading and Texture.
I want it done right, so I'm budgeting about 1200 bones. Phone Post 3.0

Thread of the year Phone Post 3.0

Would this be a micro-aggressive , white privilege situation? Phone Post 3.0

Haha.. I'm sure someone could spin it that way.

Well, I am a certified Mayflower descendent , so I guess I have some issues I need to workout.
I feel like I'm being heritage-shamed. Phone Post 3.0

Just be careful-- for people of British ancestry and many other NW European traditions, there is no such thing as a "family" coat of arms.

In most countries, coats of arms are/were granted to an individual person, and inherited only by the eldest son.  Younger sons have to have a differenced or different coat of arms.

Just don't make the stupid mistake of "finding" your "family coat of arms" at some kiosk shop or online; those places either make some crap up, or use a coat of arms from an individual and mistake it for belonging to a family.

So the absolute worst thing would be to get a tattoo of a coat of arms that belongs to some other man, and which you have no right to display.

In Ireland, arms are issued to individual persons by the Chief Herald of Ireland:  http://www.nli.ie/en/heraldry-introduction.aspx

In England, the College of Heraldry:  http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/

In Scotland (I have Scottish arms), the Court of the Lord Lyon:  http://www.lyon-court.com/

Having a coat of arms is awesome, I love mine.

ravenman2000 beat me too it...

That said I like mine too (a golden kraken on a black field.):

Some good information! For sure. Phone Post 3.0

Family crest different than coat of arms? I might have misspoken , family crest would apply? Phone Post 3.0

A crest is part of the coat of arms; it's the decoration that goes atop the helmet.  Basically, there is no heraldry that is available for just anyone with that name to use that is legitimately inherited. There are some sort-of exceptions, like Scottish people wearing their clan chief's crest as a badge within a belt and buckle, but just note that it would be using your chief's crest to show allegiance, as opposed to your own crest (which it wouldn't be).

But if you are American, it's fine to create your own personal coat of arms (this is called "assuming arms"); just don't use someone else's personal arms/crest as though it had been granted to you or inherited by you, and don't refer to it as an Irish coat of arms if you created it as an American.

All that said, again assuming you are American/Canadian/Australian/etc you could possible get a legitimate coat of arms granted to you be a European heraldic authority.

What country are you in, and/or where are your paternal ancestors from?

British decent and the picture I found in the big family book said freeman And England
There is a helmet at the top and the shield is blue with 3 yellow rhombus looking shapes. Is this just a generic type coat of arms? Because I see other countries in other colors. I'm glad you guys are helping out a misguided yank Phone Post 3.0

Dude I know has one. He just googled his name and picked one lol. Fucking idiot Phone Post 3.0

rustyshakleford - British decent and the picture I found in the big family book said freeman And England
There is a helmet at the top and the shield is blue with 3 yellow rhombus looking shapes. Is this just a generic type coat of arms? Because I see other countries in other colors. I'm glad you guys are helping out a misguided yank Phone Post 3.0

Basically, if you found it in a book, then it isn't your coat of arms.  If you, your father, your grandfather, or your great-grandfather didn't personally petition for a grant of arms and have it granted from the College of Arms in an official government document, then it is very unlikely that you have a coat of arms to inherit and/or pass to your own eldest son.  I am assuming what you found in the book was the following, "Azure, three lozenges Or", as follows:

So, the above coat of arms doesn't belong to you; only one person named Freeman in the world should be legitimately able to display that coat of arms as their own (even though dozens of online stores will sell it to you incorrectly as "your Freeman family coat of arms").

That said, you can petition the College of Arms in England to have your own legitimate coat of arms granted to you.  It would be yours, and no one else would be allowed to use it.  It would come as an official document, and could include a list of your personal genealogy (if you care to submit birth certificates and other documents to verify it), education/career/etc stuff, and so on.  Of course, there is a big cost, around $8,000 or so; but that is one reason not everyone has a coat of arms.  But if you think about it, it is also forever; you would have the legitimate right to them, and your oldest son could inherit and use it as his own upon your death, and so on for generations, and it would be permanently recorded.  You can find more information on the link I posted above for the College of Arms.

Hope this helps; as you can see, I'm a bit of a heraldry buff, and I am myself an armiger.

In Phone Post 3.0

Put mine on my upper back 13 years ago. I didn't do color because to me colored tattoos look a bit funny, but to each his own. It's the Dunn coat of arms from Ireland. There would've been a lot of blue and yellow Phone Post 3.0