Family coat of arms tattoos.....

Mencken - 

The above arms belong to Sir Malcolm MacGregor of MacGregor, Chief of Clan Gregor.

The first image, with Sir Malcom MacGregor's crest (he has a lion's head with an antique crown as a crest) within the belt and buckle, is the chief's badge.  Presumably, the MacGregor allows his clansman to wear this badge (usually on a cap) to show allegiance.  This would be fine for any MacGregor to have as a tattoo (just noting that it is Sir Malcolm MacGregor's crest within a belt/buckle, not the personal crest of the clansman/woman who is displaying the badge).

The second image is Sir Malcolm MacGregor's personal coat of arms, and should never be used by anyone but him.  Even his oldest son isn't permitted to it without special temporary marks of cadency, until his father dies and he becomes chief and inherits those arms.  Sir Malcolm MacGregor's full achievement of arms would include the shield (the main part of the arms) as well as the lion's head crest sitting on top of the helmet.

Funny I was just looking last night at my families on my moms side.

Duffy

My grandparents were instrumental in raising me and I thought about getting the coat of arms somewhere. Phone Post 3.0

The achievement (full coat of arms with all the extras) of Sir Malcolm Gregor Charles MacGregor, Chief of Clan Gregor:

Thanks for the extra info, ravenman, VU

My moms family crest is a small ginger child being kicked in the groin by a mailed boot. So I avoided the tat. Phone Post 3.0

Some good info! Thankfully I went to the OG first!
Ill just get a tat of an American flag on top of a monster truck Phone Post 3.0

My brother has the family coat of arms as a tattoo. Phone Post 3.0

rustyshakleford - Would this be a micro-aggressive , white privilege situation? Phone Post 3.0
Do you even need to ask?

Of course. Phone Post 3.0

rustyshakleford - Some good info! Thankfully I went to the OG first!
Ill just get a tat of an American flag on top of a monster truck Phone Post 3.0

Good for you for paying attention!  So many people go forward with getting a "family coat of arms" (which doesn't exist in British heraldry) even after being told that it isn't right for them to display a coat of arms that they aren't entitled to use.

In for more knowledge.

I wonder if Chinese families have some kind if equivalent idea. I know there were symbols/statuary by the doors and banners and name books. But not sure about emblems. I know the Japanese do. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, Japan has them for clans.  I don't believe China had an equivalent, at least not in the way we think of European heraldry where it is used as a form of personal identification for an individual within a family/clan context.

Here's mine, if a blue would be so kind

http://celticstudio.com/celticstudio/database/clans/114_web.gif

Don't have any tattoos myself, but if I do ever take the plunge it will probably be this. I have this exact plaque hanging in my man cave

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXxOXlingvisxVgYgp6EUbfIPZkYX0GqMR3tOZ96BLydkavhRb

ChrisChronic - Here's mine, if a blue would be so kind

http://celticstudio.com/celticstudio/database/clans/114_web.gif

Don't have any tattoos myself, but if I do ever take the plunge it will probably be this. I have this exact plaque hanging in my man cave

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXxOXlingvisxVgYgp6EUbfIPZkYX0GqMR3tOZ96BLydkavhRb

^^ good stuff, and that wall plaque is an appropriate display of your Chief's crest badge (I see that this is the older of the two Murray chief's crests).  Notice that the crest itself is within a belt and buckle to signify that it is not your own crest, but that of your clan chief, which you are permitted to display as a member of the clan.  Your chief himself would use the badge without the belt and buckle when displaying his personal crest.

Here is the full achievement of your chief, The 12th Duke of Atholl, Bruce Murray, Chief of Clan Murray (again, you shouldn't use this at all, but the above crest badges within belt and buckle are fine to show off to display your clan membership):

Here is the other Murray chief's crest, within belt and buckle for use by clansmen:

I think I have a Lord Lyon somewhere in the family. Quite a while back... either a brother or cousin to one of my great, great, great etc. - grandfathers.*

*EDIT Third cousin fifteen times removed. I found the family tree.

ravenman2000 - 

^^ good stuff, and that wall plaque is an appropriate display of your Chief's crest badge (I see that this is the older of the two Murray chief's crests).  Notice that the crest itself is within a belt and buckle to signify that it is not your own crest, but that of your clan chief, which you are permitted to display as a member of the clan.  Your chief himself would use the badge without the belt and buckle when displaying his personal crest.

Here is the full achievement of your chief, The 12th Duke of Atholl, Bruce Murray, Chief of Clan Murray (again, you shouldn't use this at all, but the above crest badges within belt and buckle are fine to show off to display your clan membership):

Here is the other Murray chief's crest, within belt and buckle for use by clansmen:

Thank you for the post and the info!! Will vtfu tomorrow!

ravenman2000 -

In Ireland, arms are issued to individual persons by the Chief Herald of Ireland:  http://www.nli.ie/en/heraldry-introduction.aspx

In England, the College of Heraldry:  http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/

In Scotland (I have Scottish arms), the Court of the Lord Lyon:  http://www.lyon-court.com/

Having a coat of arms is awesome, I love mine.

Cool info Phone Post 3.0

Ravenman - great info, VU. Any info you could provide on Thomson of Scotland? I understand they're part of the Campbell clan perhaps? Phone Post 3.0

ravenman2000 - 
rustyshakleford - British decent and the picture I found in the big family book said freeman And England
There is a helmet at the top and the shield is blue with 3 yellow rhombus looking shapes. Is this just a generic type coat of arms? Because I see other countries in other colors. I'm glad you guys are helping out a misguided yank Phone Post 3.0

Basically, if you found it in a book, then it isn't your coat of arms.  If you, your father, your grandfather, or your great-grandfather didn't personally petition for a grant of arms and have it granted from the College of Arms in an official government document, then it is very unlikely that you have a coat of arms to inherit and/or pass to your own eldest son.  I am assuming what you found in the book was the following, "Azure, three lozenges Or", as follows:

So, the above coat of arms doesn't belong to you; only one person named Freeman in the world should be legitimately able to display that coat of arms as their own (even though dozens of online stores will sell it to you incorrectly as "your Freeman family coat of arms").

That said, you can petition the College of Arms in England to have your own legitimate coat of arms granted to you.  It would be yours, and no one else would be allowed to use it.  It would come as an official document, and could include a list of your personal genealogy (if you care to submit birth certificates and other documents to verify it), education/career/etc stuff, and so on.  Of course, there is a big cost, around $8,000 or so; but that is one reason not everyone has a coat of arms.  But if you think about it, it is also forever; you would have the legitimate right to them, and your oldest son could inherit and use it as his own upon your death, and so on for generations, and it would be permanently recorded.  You can find more information on the link I posted above for the College of Arms.

Hope this helps; as you can see, I'm a bit of a heraldry buff, and I am myself an armiger.

Well I have exactly what you described tattooed on me--some other guy's coat of arms. However, he WAS legitimately an ancestor and I have at least three others I've come across in genealogy research that I could get done as well. But now I know it's not legit. Don't give two shits.

BUT, explain how I could get the "family crest" only again? Example--what I have is a coat of arms and what's next to the helmet up top is the crest portion? I didn't do much research when I was 18.