Fans that say Werdum won the striking battle...

...show a clear lack of understanding when it comes to fighting. I am gonna take a wild guess here and say most of the people that claim this have either never trained at all or only done BJJ.

Its very easy to get more hits in if you just jump in with punches then as soon as the opponents starts to counter you flop to the ground. However, this does not win you a fight, when you fall down 23x in 3 rounds you are not "winning" a fight. Overeem was taking it easy in the standup, taking no chances and waiting for an opening to counter and finish the fight, Werdum made this impossible by refusing to fight.

No one won the striking "battle" in that fight, because there was no striking battle. It was one fighter jumping forward then falling down, refusing to engage in a standup fight. Overeem won this fight by controlling where the action took place. It was a boring fight, but his next matchup will be more exciting, Silva will not buttflop, instead he will engage and make it a fight. Barnett-Kharitanov is also a very good matchup. The Semi-finals will be far better than last night.

Agree with this thread. Phone Post

VERDUMS STRIKING WAS A LOT BETTER THAN OVEREEMS GROUND GAME. NUFF SAID.

Completely agree with the OP.

Overeem destroyed Werdum in every aspect of that fight. I can't possibly understand how anyone sees it any other way.

To Keith Hackney's retarded post:

Werdum kept flopping to the ground because he was terrified of Overeem's stand up. Overeem land some VERY hard knees and shots... FAR harder shots the Werdum ever landed.

Maybe some of you who think Werdum won the stand up should go watch lil kids do point fighting karate.

a lack of understanding??? Werdum had the better exchanges, reguardless if he flopped or not. He still lost the fight, there no denying that. If Werdum was to land one punch and run around the ring the whole fight , never getting hit again, he'd technically win the standup. The Compubox # showed this, but he lost. And he should be cut after that performance. Werdum was riding off the Fedor win, he's whole gameplan was a joke, though he didnt know that.

Bahaha someone said Anderson looked shitty against Leitis and Maia oh boy I bet he looked shitty against Belfort too huh? Phone Post

cross3dout - Bahaha someone said Anderson looked shitty against Leitis and Maia oh boy I bet he looked shitty against Belfort too huh? Phone Post

No, he looked awesome against Belfort, because Belfort stood up and traded with him.

He looked shitty against Leitis and Maia, because they kept butt-flopping and avoiding his standup, just like Werdum was doing.

This is the whole point of this thread.

No sorry but Werdum wad getting the better of Reem in the stand up he just didn't have enough confidence to keep it there. In the case if Anderson neither man had any chance in the stand up whether they went there or not Phone Post

Doomfarmer I do what I can :) Phone Post

NarlyPersianDude - Guys like Orcus are all over the place saying Werdum won the striking exchanges, but he fails to recognize how shitty Anderson looked against two guys like this, Leites and Maia, and Maia was not even flopping. And against Maia, I think Anderson lost the two final rounds, and literally ran away the entire 5th round.

Overeem won every aspect of that fight, just cause stats show Werdum got more hits in, dont mean shit. The harder shots where by Overeem, and flopping over 20 times in a 3 round fight dont when you shit unless you get the sub.

I agree with the op. TrueDat

true dat ^

In total agreement with the OP

Werdum did NOT win the stand up. But by the same token, Alistair didn't clearly win it either. Overall it was a very disappointing fight that leaves a lot of questions about Overeem unanswered; and I'm a huge fan. Phone Post

Keith Hackneys Mullet - Only reason werdum lost is because he kept falling to the ground.

This made it APPEAR that he was not the dominant fighter.

It also made it APPEAR that he was knocked down several times, when in reality he was just falling to his back with the punch trying to take it to the ground.

Overeems "power shots" were usually not connecting cleanly also.

Lets break it down.

rd1. werdum landed WAY more strikes overeem threw some bombs which mainly only hit werdums gloves, he connected with a knee and a body shot also i think, werdum wins this hands down.

rd2. werdum was doin good with strikes at the beginning of the round, overeem had landed some power shots near the middle. hard round to score could go either way.

rd3. werdum landed a lot better, reem had his few power shots which didnt connect well or do damage or knock him down (remember werdum FELL ON HIS BACK ON PURPOSE) werdum landed lots of nice clinch shots. Reems power shots all seemed to glance off of the side of werdums head and they were very few compared to werdums shots.

So then why did werdum lose the decision?????

ANSWER:

BECAUSE HE KEPTS FALLING TO HIS BACK! This is the only reason he lost the decision, because he APPEARED to be the non dominant fighter when he fell to his back constantly.

If werdum would have just said fuck the ground and stayed striking with reem he would have got the nod.

end of story

I responded to this same incredibly odd assessment of this fight in another thread, but I'll repost it here.

So you think that if Werdum hadn't flopped to the ground everytime Alistair threw a significant strike, never allowing the fight to stay standing long enough for anything to happen, that he would have won? You really think that if he had stayed standing the whole time that Alistair wouldn't have followed up with something, anything? Alistair couldn't do that because every time he threw something significant, Fabricio fell to his back.

Werdum did what he had to do to not get knocked out. If he truly had said "screw it, I'm turning this a kickboxing fight", than those one power shots that Overeem threw before Werdum purposefully flooped to the ground, would have turned into 3 or 4.

Seriously, it wasn't Alistair's best fight, but all this nonsense about Werdum winning the fight, or outstriking him? Werdum did everything in his power to avoid prolonged striking exchanges. He threw pitter patter shots and nearly every time Overeem responded, he fell to his back. It's pretty hard to strike with someone who falls down every time you throw a punch. Try sparring with someone who does that and report back.

"About avoiding the fight - well, Overeem avoided the ground fight. So its not fair to say that only Werdum was coward."

LOL what? Why should Overeem get into Werdums guard just because Werdum has shit for takedowns?

Werdum was basically admitting that he was losing the fight thats why he was begging for Overeem to get into his guard. He wanted an advantage without actually working for it himself

Werdum landed and threw way more strikes than Overeem.

Overeem hurt Werdum more in a few exhanges.

Overeem showed nothing on the ground other than a heavy blanket, probably not wanting to expose anything.

Werdum was also surprisingly passive the few times he had overeem on the ground.

Suffice it to say, neither fighter "destroyed the other" it was a decision. Both fighters looked less than stellar in that one.

Werdum did outstrike Overeem. I was pretty surprised by that as well. The guard pulling and begging was just so embarassing though.

cyberc92 - Werdum did outstrike Overeem. I was pretty surprised by that as well. The guard pulling and begging was just so embarassing though.

Jujubre made a great thread a few minutes ago called "Werdum just applied the Inoki strategy". For any unfamiliar with what he's talking about, he's referring to Inoki's bout with Muhammad Ali in the 1970s where Inoki just fell to his back the whole fight and kicked at Ali's legs. By striking statistics, Inoki "outstruck" Muhammad Ali.

It sounds pretty silly, but by the logic I'm seeing on the UG, than Inoki did outstrike Ali. It's pretty easy to "outstrike" someone if you throw 3 or 4 punches and then flop to your back as soon as the other fighter punches back.

Lots of fighters could "outstrike" Reem, JDS or even Badr Hari if they fought like that.

William Colosimo - 
cross3dout - Bahaha someone said Anderson looked shitty against Leitis and Maia oh boy I bet he looked shitty against Belfort too huh? Phone Post

this doesnt make any sense

a fighter can look good in one fight and shitty in another. one doesnt negate the other

most people think silva looked shitty in the maia fight (and one or two other recent ones), this is the first time youve heard this? have you seen the fights?

William you're absolutely right, but it seems like most on the UG only remember your last fight. If you last fight wasn't your best performance, than all of your previous fights are forgotten and you now suck.

UltraMagnus - 
Hansumboy - ...show a clear lack of understanding when it comes to fighting. I am gonna take a wild guess here and say most of the people that claim this have either never trained at all or only done BJJ.

Its very easy to get more hits in if you just jump in with punches then as soon as the opponents starts to counter you flop to the ground. However, this does not win you a fight, when you fall down 23x in 3 rounds you are not "winning" a fight. Overeem was taking it easy in the standup, taking no chances and waiting for an opening to counter and finish the fight, Werdum made this impossible by refusing to fight.

No one won the striking "battle" in that fight, because there was no striking battle. It was one fighter jumping forward then falling down, refusing to engage in a standup fight. Overeem won this fight by controlling where the action took place. It was a boring fight, but his next matchup will be more exciting, Silva will not buttflop, instead he will engage and make it a fight. Barnett-Kharitanov is also a very good matchup. The Semi-finals will be far better than last night.

Thank You.....

x10

My only arguement would be that whenever Werdum came in with a flurry, Overeem did not make a very good attempt at blocking or countering in the third round. It was almost as if he was blocking for those bigger boxing gloves by framing his face.

I thing Overeem was more technical and choose his shots wisely but I really think Werdum had Overeem back peddling quite fast when he came in with those flurries. Would liked to have seen Alistar through some fast jabs. He has the body for it but maybe he was worried about Werdum catching a jab and turning it into god knows what.