Farm Size

Got a friend who's unemployed at the moment, but he's got some land and he's thinking about developing it for farming. He's got an acre useable at the moment, but over time could bring in up to five acres,

He's got access to people who know what they're doing and he grew up on a farm so I think he's ok. But it got me thinkinh. What type of farm could you make from an acre? How many chickens could you keep, do you have space for a cow? Could he feed himself off it? What about if he got the five acres up and running? What should his goals be realistically?

There are homesteads of less than that that feed a family of four quite well.  If he wants to develop it commericially, he needs an agricultural attorney. 

I am looking at buying up some property right now to do something similar.  I live in an area which is very good for farming and we have TONS of greenhouse acreage. 

What consideration should be given to soil type/quality?  Is it worth while to take soil samples from various perspective properties, or since they are all in the same general region would they most likely be similar. 

That homestead layout is awesome.  I would be hoping to start off producing enough food for myself and some excess for family and friends.  I am glad beehives were pointed out here.  With bee populations on the heavy decline, I have been giving great consideration to starting up some hives.  I just have lots of research to do on that subject first!

i could never have beehives as the gf totally freaks out when she sees a bee.

She love honey though, so maybe with some work i could convice her

LiftStrong -  I am looking at buying up some property right now to do something similar.  I live in an area which is very good for farming and we have TONS of greenhouse acreage. 

What consideration should be given to soil type/quality?  Is it worth while to take soil samples from various perspective properties, or since they are all in the same general region would they most likely be similar. 

That homestead layout is awesome.  I would be hoping to start off producing enough food for myself and some excess for family and friends.  I am glad beehives were pointed out here.  With bee populations on the heavy decline, I have been giving great consideration to starting up some hives.  I just have lots of research to do on that subject first!

Well personally I would take soil samples, but then again you could always use the web soil survey. It is a go to site for just about anything that I do in the forestry world.

Actually that shouldn't read as an either or. Together they provide a more complete picture of the land you are looking at.

Just lol at myself.

LiftStrong -  I am looking at buying up some property right now to do something similar.  I live in an area which is very good for farming and we have TONS of greenhouse acreage. 

It's easy to build topsoil, especially if using raised beds. Bees are hard to keep in this day and age.