faster/quicker takedowns

how would i go about increasing the speed of my takedowns..once im in range how do i get faster on the penetration step .besides drilling the movments are there any types of exercises or plyo routines i should include in my training?

Try powercleans.

Believe it or not, proper timing can make your takedowns seem lightening quick, even if you are not actually moving faster. The trick is to anticipate your opponent's reactions so you can respond to his movements before he has even started moving. It is like throwing something at a moving target -you've got to anticipate the target's position and throw to where it will be, not to where you see it at now.

In the same vein, if you know that your opponent will step if you pull on his arm, you just have to anticipate his reaction and attack the leg before he steps.

I am sorry if this is really redundant information for you, however, I find that some beginners tend to focus on attributes over skill development -especially when it comes to relative concepts like "speed."

Some guys will even try to "practice fast," but they just end up performing the techniques in a rushed and sloppy way.

Ask a fast wrestler what they do to get so fast, they probably won't give you a good answer. More than likely they'll just shrug their shoulders and say that they actually aren't that fast. This isn't modesty. To them, they aren't moving so quickly. They just know the move so thoroughly from beginning to end, they are able to implement it much more quickly than a novice (with no hesitation and much more confidence).

Fast wrestlers don't try to be fast, they just ARE fast. I am not saying this is something you are born with or not, but speed will come as you master the technical aspects of a movement and gain confidence while going live.

Don't try to be "faster," just try to be "better," and you'll find that speed will take care of itself.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with doing cleans or snatches. Both are great exercises which will give you benefits that will carry over in wrestling.

fos

Split squats for the drop and erector set work for the arch/finish.

My shot speed and quality improved when I learned to relax; funny thing most of the muscle relaxation techniques I learned from the Tao of JKD.

I wrestled in high school, but I didn't get good at it until I relaxed, changed levels by drop instead of lowering, and improved my setups timing.

Have a friend video your practices and try visualizing off that. You would be amazed at what a difference in your training gets to when you have a different perspective.

^^I was curious about what you mean when you say "drop instead of lowering". What, specifically, seperates one from the other?

Lowering is using your legs to lower your hips and MAKE your hips drop.

Dropping happens when you're legs are relaxed and you LET your hips drop.

Relaxation is key to speed. Attributes are good--having strong legs and a strong posterior chain help--but technique and relaxation are the keys.

So...practice that penetration step! I used to throw hundreds of jabs a day to get the timing and mechanics down. Shadow boxing, bag work, maize bag, pads, drills, sparring, etc...until that jab become second nature.

You can do the same with your takedowns. Drill alone--practice the drop, the step, the follow through seperately and together.

Drill with a bag--get a heavy bag (the big thai bags are great for this), get it swinging, and TIME your shot with the swinging of hthe bag. You can also practice takedowns/throws with a bag by taking it off the chain and working pickups, body locks, etc.

Bands help too--they give you something to work against and force you to be explosive.

Partner drills. Start simple and work up in resistance levels and complexity of set-ups. For instance, JUST work the takedown with little resistance. Once in awhile, step, stop and LOOK WHERE YOUR FEET ARE. Many times you'll find you aren't stepping as deep as you thought, or you may be too high.

Then add in simple setups from the clinch or further out. Again, drills are drills, not sparring or rolling, so the resistance should never get too high. 50% max.

Whew. I have lots more but I gotta roll.

I would have to disagree with xenNova. I chased chickens for 6 months it didn't really help me with my takedowns but my chasing skills have come in handy when I'm drunk and feel lonely.

Thank you, I'm starting up wrestling again (I've only had a semester) and I'm looking to improve as quickly as possible.

FOS is correct. Practice wrestling and lift weights.

Very informative thread. Very good posts FoS,WT,R2, and XenNova. BTW Xen, thanks for your posting that chick squatting on the squat-ass thread,supreme booty beauty!

jllamas,

also be sure to emphasize bringing your back leg (trail leg) up as quickly as possible as this is the leg that will finish the shot. this is just a technical note, but it seems to be something that alot of the younger kids on my team struggle with.

ttt 4 more from wizzle....

Five o clock Shadow is dead on.

Lifting will help, but nothing beats drilling.

Dropping your body by using gravity is faster than any "forced" movement
you may try. Try to achieve the feel of having your legs cut off suddenly
to maximize your level change speed.

Lee

Five o clock Shadow has double-legged the correct

wizzleteats, email me at malihandler03@yahoo.com

O-LIFTS!

More detail Wizzle

Good post!!!

Any recommendations for DVD's that will help with drilling alone?

ttt

"Dropping your body by using gravity is faster than any "forced" movement you may try. Try to achieve the feel of having your legs cut off suddenly to maximize your level change speed."

I was thinking about this Lee... I think you'd have a hard time getting faster than the acceleration due to gravity no matter what you did, unless you did something really counterproductive like windmill your arms (thus inviting dental surgery via knees to the face). Gravity is the only external force acting downward on a mat, except maybe your opponent. If you're shooting from distance, this obviously won't be a factor. Duck unders or similar techniques where you push up on your opponent will add a bit of downward force to you and get you down quicker.

Gravity acts on your center of mass, which is why freestyle wrestlers start low- you can change the configuration of your body at a rate faster than acceleration by gravity, for example, going from on both feet bent at the waist to a standard shoot configuration; you moved and you can complete the takedown, but your center of mass stayed at the same height. Starting this low may not be much of an option in MMA, but being lower will reduce the amount of time it takes to get to takedown height.

So since gravity only runs at one speed, I think the trick would be to increase your lateral acceleration since that doesn't depend on immutable physical constants, and, of course, improve your technique and strategy.