Fastest punch in the World..Speed Kills

a critter that, ounce for ounce, packs what might be the most powerful punch of any critter, in or out of the ocean.

Within the mantis shrimp’s shell are hinged arm-like claws, with fist-like clubs at their ends. They lash out with the speed of a .22-caliber bullet–the fastest punch in the world–and literally smashes its prey.
these claws can shatter clam shells, crack open crab shells, break glass and even deliver a knockout blow to an octopus or a fish.

But mantis shrimp are also beautiful, remarkable creatures, worthy of display even if isolation from other creatures is necessary.

“The claws are made of material so hard it can deliver 50,000 blows between molts–without breaking,” the blog post states. “It’s being studied by scientists as a model for crafting super-strong body armor for soldiers.

“And it moves its claws so fast that they turn water into plasma and sound into light.”

There's some trippy shit in the ocean. Wish they had shown more footage of it smashing things.

They turn sound into light?

Wow.
Vitor Shrimpfort Phone Post

Jones would still win by arm length.
Just saying Phone Post

They are one of the most fascinating creatures to be found on a reef Phone Post 3.0

Uhm it's eyes are just as impressive as its punch. Fascinating! Phone Post 3.0

Saw this in a David Attenborough doc the other day. They talk about its similarity to Anomalocaris.<br /><br />https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21zgkg5pCaE

Someone posted the pics from

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

on here the other day or last week or so

Relevant again Phone Post

badass Phone Post 3.0

I, for one, welcome our new crustacean overlords! Phone Post 3.0

sparkuri - Wow.

Phone Post

In Phone Post

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

i'd fight it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-PShMgas-0 this guy made a video of his mantis shrimp fighting different things

uniquetechnique -
a critter that, ounce for ounce, packs what might be the most powerful punch of any critter, in or out of the ocean. Within the mantis shrimp’s shell are hinged arm-like claws, with fist-like clubs at their ends. They lash out with the speed of a .22-caliber bullet–the fastest punch in the world–and literally smashes its prey. these claws can shatter clam shells, crack open crab shells, break glass and even deliver a knockout blow to an octopus or a fish. But mantis shrimp are also beautiful, remarkable creatures, worthy of display even if isolation from other creatures is necessary. “The claws are made of material so hard it can deliver 50,000 blows between molts–without breaking,” the blog post states. “It’s being studied by scientists as a model for crafting super-strong body armor for soldiers. “And it moves its claws so fast that they turn water into plasma and sound into light.”

Awesome I've never heard of these guys before Phone Post

sparkuri - Wow.
Lol VTFU when I can Phone Post 3.0

A .22 doesn't go that fast underwater. Their claw goes as fast underwater as the .22 goes in air. Sonoluminescence (sp) it's called and don't know if it occurs in air.

I also read somewhere the if we could move our arms as fast as they can we could throw a baseball into orbit. Phone Post 3.0

If this thing was our size, That punch would kill you