Fasting / IGF-1

I watched a really interesting documentary last night called "eat, fast and live longer". I can't find the full doc on YouTube but here's a shorter video from a news report about it and about the concepts of a 5 / 2 diet.

http://youtu.be/VWtaLLjJzn4

I am quite interested in this now and was wondering if any OGers follow an intermittent diet and if so how have you got on with it?

An interesting point they made was that too much protein could be harmful to the body as it increases IGF-1 levels (insulin like growth factor 1) which in turn can cause many cancers and chronic diseases.

They say you're not supposed to have any more than 0.8g of protein per kilo of body weight. Anymore risks increasing IGF-1 levels.

As I lift weights regularly and know a bit about IGF-1 for building muscle this has taken me by surprise.

They also state that regular fasting restores broken cells and improves brain function. I guess that makes sense as cavemen regularly fasted and would have to remain sharp in order to survive.

Just looking for people's general thoughts on this and for some insight from anyone who fasts regularly as I am keen to start this myself, not to lose weight, but to live healthier and longer.

Thanks. Phone Post 3.0

TTT Phone Post 3.0

NewOldTRT09er -
Falcon Falcone - I watched a really interesting documentary last night called "eat, fast and live longer". I can't find the full doc on YouTube but here's a shorter video from a news report about it and about the concepts of a 5 / 2 diet.

http://youtu.be/VWtaLLjJzn4

I am quite interested in this now and was wondering if any OGers follow an intermittent diet and if so how have you got on with it?

An interesting point they made was that too much protein could be harmful to the body as it increases IGF-1 levels (insulin like growth factor 1) which in turn can cause many cancers and chronic diseases.

They say you're not supposed to have any more than 0.8g of protein per kilo of body weight. Anymore risks increasing IGF-1 levels.

As I lift weights regularly and know a bit about IGF-1 for building muscle this has taken me by surprise.

They also state that regular fasting restores broken cells and improves brain function. I guess that makes sense as cavemen regularly fasted and would have to remain sharp in order to survive.

Just looking for people's general thoughts on this and for some insight from anyone who fasts regularly as I am keen to start this myself, not to lose weight, but to live healthier and longer.

Thanks. Phone Post 3.0
What was the average lifespan of a caveman?

Cracks me up hoe people refer to cavemen to validate a theory like it was the peak of human evolution. The life expectancy of a human being has doubled in the last 500 years alone. Phone Post 3.0
Nowhere did I refer to a caveman to validate anything. Lol.

I simply stated that they would have to remain sharp during periods they weren't eating.

Stop looking for a confrontation... Phone Post 3.0

Caloric restriction is pretty much the only thing that is proven to extend life. Forget blueberries forget veggies, ect. Those things might be good but the only thing proven is restricting calories. I don't know if fasting necessary but eating less is.

TTt Phone Post 3.0

My cousin raved about intermittent fasting. He said you could eat whatever you want as long as its at the right times. I tried it but i didn't like the huge meals. Apparently you get used to the long fasts after a few days. I believe my cousin was on this for almost a year until he fell into a coma.moppplii Phone Post 3.0

glassjawed - My cousin raved about intermittent fasting. He said you could eat whatever you want as long as its at the right times. I tried it but i didn't like the huge meals. Apparently you get used to the long fasts after a few days. I believe my cousin was on this for almost a year until he fell into a coma.moppplii Phone Post 3.0
Oh shit...!

I hear it's more suited to those that are overweight. I'm interested in trying it but I also don't want to get skinny as fuck! Phone Post 3.0

hingeunhinged -
glassjawed - My cousin raved about intermittent fasting. He said you could eat whatever you want as long as its at the right times. I tried it but i didn't like the huge meals. Apparently you get used to the long fasts after a few days. I believe my cousin was on this for almost a year until he fell into a coma.moppplii Phone Post 3.0
Well fuck. Phone Post 3.0
A food coma. Phone Post 3.0