Fat Parents with Fat Kids

Few things depress me more than seeing an adult who knows about all the shame and hardship that goes along with being fat (especially as a kid), who has sentenced their own child to be obese, just like them.

I'm not judging, per se, people do all sorts of fucked up shit. But I want some insight on this issue.

Does anyone here have a fat kid? Were/are you yourself fat? How do you deal with a fat kid?

A lot of fat people have a very unhealthy relationship with food. Those people don't have a clue how to be anything but fat. They can't teach their kids how to be anything but fat. Fear of hunger, self medicating with food, the incredible urge to eat an entire bag of Oreos because you had one... these things are normal for a lot of fat people.

I post on a diet and exercise forum. A lot of the people on there have battled weight problems their entire lives. Talking to them has shocked the shit out of me. There are a lot of people who feel like a hunger pang is something to almost panic over. They honestly feel like it's a sign of starvation. People like that will eat anything the second they feel any hunger. How is someone like that going to raise a kid to eat normally? They can't, because they don't even know what eating normally is like.

Both my parents were skinny, then got fat raising me and my two sisters. All 3 of us are skinny because we don't want to be obese like our parents Phone Post 3.0

Dogo - A lot of fat people have a very unhealthy relationship with food. Those people don't have a clue how to be anything but fat. They can't teach their kids how to be anything but fat. Fear of hunger, self medicating with food, the incredible urge to eat an entire bag of Oreos because you had one... these things are normal for a lot of fat people.

I post on a diet and exercise forum. A lot of the people on there have battled weight problems their entire lives. Talking to them has shocked the shit out of me. There are a lot of people who feel like a hunger pang is something to almost panic over. They honestly feel like it's a sign of starvation. People like that will eat anything the second they feel any hunger. How is someone like that going to raise a kid to eat normally? They can't, because they don't even know what eating normally is like.

How do these individuals reconcile their perceptions of starving with the corpulence of their bodies? I've never heard of this before.

This is something that is very personal to me. My parents were/are great parents however obese. I had no idea about healthy eating as a kid. I have never seen my parents exercise.

At 16 I was 330lb at 50% body fight. As an adult I lost 130lb of fat and gained 20lbs of muscle. But I still have to fight bad habits learned as a child.

Now that I am a father my child sees me exercise and eat large amounts of greens and vegetables. I allow very little sugar in my house. She is still very young but I plan on teaching her how to make good food choices. Phone Post 3.0

I used to be fat up until like soph year in college.
For me at least, the first day after grocery shopping was the worst. Put it this way, I was like a young kid at christmas, just got a shit ton of new toys and wants to play with them all at once. I would have all this new food and I wanted to get the taste of all of it, so I would end up eating a lot quickly because I wanted the joy of the taste. Also it takes a lot for me to feel full while sitting, so I would never realize I'm full when i'm sitting and just keep eating. What I do now is if I feel like having something to eat, I'll stand up and walk around to see if i'm actually hungry, or just bored. Bordem was also something that would make me eat, I try to keep busy now because then I don't think of food or eat anything.

Roidz Rule - This is something that is very personal to me. My parents were/are great parents however obese. I had no idea about healthy eating as a kid. I have never seen my parents exercise.

At 16 I was 330lb at 50% body fight. As an adult I lost 130lb of fat and gained 20lbs of muscle. But I still have to fight bad habits learned as a child.

Now that I am a father my child sees me exercise and eat large amounts of greens and vegetables. I allow very little sugar in my house. She is still very young but I plan on teaching her how to make good food choices. Phone Post 3.0
This is me, minus the extremes. I was 30 pounds over weight as a kid and teen, but now eat healthy and workout, and am 6'1" 195, with sub 15% bf.

My mother thinks food is love and gives all kids in the family lollipops and treats when visiting. We have a 7 mth old girl that we plan on sharing our healthy eating habits, and having very little sugar in the house. Food is not a reward. Food is not love. My mother is already aware gifts will be in the form of educational toys and not high fructose corn syrup. Phone Post 3.0

It's subconscious child abuse. Pisses me off when I see it. Phone Post 3.0

"How do these individuals reconcile their perceptions of starving with the corpulence of their bodies? I've never heard of this before."

It doesn't get reconciled. It's not rational. But that's how it's been described to me. As if they really feared the sensation of being hungry. And for a lot of them it's a conditioned response that goes back as far as they can remember.

And that's just one issue. Comfort food is a huge problem. And an inability to judge when they are full - the forum I'm on is for Precision Nutrition. They have very simple guidelines for people who want to lose weight. But one of the other things they do is to have 6 month long programs like Lean Eating, where they essentially teach people how to have a healthy relationship with food through a coaching curriculum. One of the things they do with the LE groups is have them eat to the point where they are 80% full, then stop. That is ridiculously hard for most of these people, because they don't have a clue when they are full.

There is a family I know whose daughter has been obese since a very young age. Everytime I use to see her as a toddler she was eating chips or drinking coke. The father was very large too so obviously the family's eating habits were questionable.

I found out recently that both the father and the daughter had gastric banding surgery (she is only around 14 or 15 years old). It pisses me off that rather than try and be a role model for his kids and make a lifestyle adjustment they went down the surgery route. Apparently though the daughter still binge eats chocolates etc and hides the wrappers from the parents in her bedroom. So instead of addressing the underlying pyschological reasons for her eating habits and teach her a life lesson about self-control and willpower they said fuck it just get your stomach stapled!!!

"So instead of addressing the underlying pyschological reasons for her eating habits and teach her a life lesson about self-control and willpower they said fuck it just get your stomach stapled!!!"

You can't teach what you don't know.

Roidz Rule - This is something that is very personal to me. My parents were/are great parents however obese. I had no idea about healthy eating as a kid. I have never seen my parents exercise.

Good for you for doing something to take care of your body and teach good habits to your child. VU!

kosmo777 -

There is a family I know whose daughter has been obese since a very young age. Everytime I use to see her as a toddler she was eating chips or drinking coke. The father was very large too so obviously the family's eating habits were questionable.

I found out recently that both the father and the daughter had gastric banding surgery (she is only around 14 or 15 years old). It pisses me off that rather than try and be a role model for his kids and make a lifestyle adjustment they went down the surgery route. Apparently though the daughter still binge eats chocolates etc and hides the wrappers from the parents in her bedroom. So instead of addressing the underlying pyschological reasons for her eating habits and teach her a life lesson about self-control and willpower they said fuck it just get your stomach stapled!!!

100% child abuse Phone Post 3.0

Someone needs to slap that fat bitch on the bike. Phone Post 3.0

Dogo - "So instead of addressing the underlying pyschological reasons for her eating habits and teach her a life lesson about self-control and willpower they said fuck it just get your stomach stapled!!!"

You can't teach what you don't know.

Very true - I suppose from an outsiders point of view (and from someone who tries to be fit and healthy) it is easy to make judgment. Like GROUNDnLB states too it is definitely child abuse.

Tiresias -
dragoon247 - They cant help the way they were born. Not everyone can have the genes of a Spartan.

Someone call the fire department, dragoon247 got stuck in the bathtub again!

Lol! Phone Post 3.0

Tiresias -

KILL THE FATTIES AND FEED THEM TO THEM MEXICAN CHILDRENS

Mexico was named the fattest country in the world recently, so I think that would result in a lot of brown on brown feasting Phone Post 3.0