Father needs Help

Hello (frat warning)

My father has just passed his 2 year quit smoking mark, while this is a monumental achievement I'm very proud of he's put on about 70 pounds, and he was already a bit overweight when he was smoking, my family on my fathers side has a history of heart disease. My father has had a stressful life for the past 10 years compounding with my drug addict sister going to jail leaving my parents with her two kids. My grandfather passed away forcing my parents to take my grandmother in, lastly my dad is very prideful and won't ask a professional for help with his weight, his diet consist of a couple of unhealthy snacks in the day a big dinner, and a couple of snack leading to bed, he never gets a full 8 hours, and is starting to enter stages of depression. Lastly he has a really bad right hip and right knee.

I'm hoping someone in here will say to themselves "challenge accepted" and help me turn my dad's life around. I know both my grandmother and grandfather on his side before I even knew them because of this exact same thing.

Please help Phone Post 3.0

Ruggerbouy,

e-mail me and we'll talk about what we can do for him.

strengthonline@yahoo.com

TAKU

Thanks Taku Phone Post 3.0

I was thinking to try to make small changes to his diet. He's got so much on his plate, anything drastic would probably be counterproductive... Perhaps try to get his carbs under 75 for the day, etc..

Good luck, I can tell how much you love him and the concern you have for him. Phone Post 3.0

Cheers, I agree that drastic changes are not the way to go, my game plane is basically

- Educate about what not eating all day then opening the flood gates does, and just try an get him to eat steadily throughout the day

- introduce him to easy conditioning that can lower his stress level while increasing metabolism like hitting heavy bag/speed bag 3 min / 1 min for like 8-10 rounds, and yoga, and just things as simple as parking further away from his building to increase walking distance.

- positive outlook, whether you fat or grossly obese or have washboard abs if your unhappy your not going to have a lasting drive in fitness regards, every pound lost or notch taken off you belt needs to be looked at as a championship victory, celebrate each gain as if it is a major life goal being achieved.

- the part I'm having trouble with is any negative stuff I want him to realist he won't be around to enjoy his grandchildren without breaking him down to much he's already had enough of that Phone Post 3.0

with bad hip/knee it's hard to do much walking. Maybe join a gym with him at least to get him started. Try to replace snacks with fruit or something helpful. Sounds like he really needs your help, good luck.

jpm995 - with bad hip/knee it's hard to do much walking. Maybe join a gym with him at least to get him started. Try to replace snacks with fruit or something helpful. Sounds like he really needs your help, good luck.
Cheers,

I intruduced him to yoga, and played on the "can do it with your wife" thing so now my mom can bug him into getting on the mat, I also told him he just needs to eat smaller meals more often and in response he surprised me by telling me how he eats oatmeal and fruit every morning for the past week and buys vegetables and fruit at work to get him through the day so I think he's accepting that he needs to change his habits. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for the update.. keep going, you're doing the right things Phone Post 3.0

Bawls - Thanks for the update.. keep going, you're doing the right things Phone Post 3.0
http://youtu.be/bIXOo8D9Qsc

Sorry if that link isn't clickable I'm on my phone, but here's an even bigger surprise, my wife saw this video when I was showing it to my dad and she also has not to my dad's degree but slight weight problems do to a chronic knee problem from dislocating it when she was young, al Phone Post 3.0

Sry misclicked, but also we have 3 children but between child 1, 2, and 3 she has had 6 miscarriages and basically spent the last 5 years in a high risk pregnancy state, she felt the same as the guy in the above video but after watching it she asked me to help her TOO! This journey so far has been full of positive's if somone you know is having these issues show them that video only to illustrate how it IS possible and also reinforce your support to them Phone Post 3.0

I think for his diet you should just try and encourage him to eat healthier choices. Eating one big meal, or eating all his food in the evening, isn't unhealthy in itself. Vermonter follows a similar diet and he trains pro athletes for a living.

As for fitness, have you thought about swimming? It's non-impact and can be a social activity if he brings along some other friends of family.

HULC - I think for his diet you should just try and encourage him to eat healthier choices. Eating one big meal, or eating all his food in the evening, isn't unhealthy in itself. Vermonter follows a similar diet and he trains pro athletes for a living.

As for fitness, have you thought about swimming? It's non-impact and can be a social activity if he brings along some other friends of family.

Swimming is a good idea, I that had slipped my mind thank you for the idea,

as for the evening eating i'm just trying to get him to break his habits of going into the kitchen and grabbing the first available snack like chips or crackers. and just so that around evening time if he has eaten all day, then hopefully he isnt starving in the evenings