Favorite Deer Steak Recipe?

I was thinking cutting into strips, breading, season and pan fry with butter and garlic served over pasta.

What do you like?

If you are doing that, go ahead and cube it

I enjoy all that without the pasta part. 

My bro in law is a great cook with wild game. His favorite is blackened and cooked rare.

1 - Deer Steak

1 - 16oz Beef Ribeye steak

Salt

Pepper

1)  Take deer steak, and throw it in the trash.

2)  Take beef ribeye and season liberally with salt

3)  Let sit in fridge for at least 45 minutes

4)  Remove from fridge and grill until medium rare, rest 7 miuntes

5)  Season with pepper

6)  Serve

5 Likes

lol

Not a fan either but I am willing to try again.

What cut? 

Other than cooking times I cook it how I would any other steak lol. 

I like bacon wrapped back strap filets a lot. 

Cubed and slow simmered in gravey served.over brown rice. 

Venison fajitas are bomb.

1 Like
johnsonbarr - Not a fan either but I am willing to try again.

Half the problem is people dont know how to handle/age an animal after they have killed it lol.

That anda lot of city types havent necessary been exposed to deer and elk etc and havent spent much time cooking it lol.

1 Like

My father killed a big 9 point on Thursday. On Friday, we cut up the tenderloins into bite sized pieces and put them in a bulgolgi marinade. They were like filet mignon bites.

1 Like
theken206 -

Half the problem is people dont know how to handle/age an animal after they have killed it lol.

That anda lot of city types havent necessary been exposed to deer and elk etc and havent spent much time cooking it lol.

Elk is by far my favorite but I’ve only really tried venison, antelope and elk. I really want to try moose.

This has been my go to as of late:

Start by cooking up 3 or 4 strips of bacon, once they’re almost done chop them up and throw into another frying pan leaving the grease behind. Next I’ll add a diced jalapeno and about 1/4 of a diced onion with a healthy amount of butter to the bacon grease. Fry that  till the onion starts to turn colour and get the pan nice and hot. Now add the steak, I usually cut mine about 1.25” thick and fry them until medium. I’ll add montreal steak spice too.

In the pan with the chopped bacon I will fry up the rest of onion with mushrooms and another diced jalapeño in even mire butter. Again I’ll add a little more montreal steak spice once its almost done. 

1 Like
theken206 - 

I don’t know how city types do things. Not a fan of venison. I like elk a lot, and into fishing more than hunting but thanks for your condescending post.

If its doe you can get away with deer chops. Legit tasty. Marinade in Italian dressing. Flour then seasoned breadcrumbs and fry. 

If you've got a loin keep it whole, same marinade. Once it off the fridge, rinse, pat dry and coat it in dry rub. You can even bacon wrap. Smoke it.

johnsonbarr -
theken206 - 

I don’t know how city types do things. Not a fan of venison. I like elk a lot, and into fishing more than hunting but thanks for your condescending post.

I was speaking more as a generality cheif. Venison gets a bit of a bad rap as people don't tend to handle it well IME, dont properly age  it and a lot of people dont have a bunch of experience cooking with it. Super lean meats are often hard to deal with in all honesty.

It's easy to over cook, easy to over or under season IMO. 

EFM -

1 - Deer Steak

1 - 16oz Beef Ribeye steak

Salt

Pepper

1)  Take deer steak, and throw it in the trash.

2)  Take beef ribeye and season liberally with salt

3)  Let sit in fridge for at least 45 minutes

4)  Remove from fridge and grill until medium rare, rest 7 miuntes

5)  Season with pepper

6)  Serve

yuppies...

Don't care what cut

Pan seared oven roasted

Butter, olive oil, salt, pepper, ground thyme, fresh rosemary sprigs, oven safe pan.  If you don't have one, buy one, or used a foil lined cake pan.

Season meat with s&p and leave out for 1 hour minimum prior to cooking, covered with paper towels

Preheat oven to 250

Heat pan med high.  Drop in a pat of butter, drizzle pan with olive oil.  Pan should be hot enough if butter has melted or if it sizzles when you put it in.

Lay your meat in.  You should get a nice sound of sizzle.  2 minutes a side.  Does not need to be perfect.

When all sides have been seared, throw in oven for 25 mins per lb.  Should temp out center at 115.  Pull at this poi t and return to stovetop at medium heat.

Melt half a stick of butter and a splash of olive oil.  Add a reasonable amount of ground thyme and 1 full sprig of rosemary.  Baste the roast with the herb butter.  Tilt the pan so it runs off and you can just continue this for about 5 minutes.

Pull off heat and let rest for 15-20 minutes.

pan fried with butter and salt....for breakfast

Ground deer is much better than beef in chili, spaghetti, etc. It is firmer and texture is better.

Canned or sausage, only way I like it