Favorite movies of 2013 and why?

Overall I felt like it was kind of a disappointing year. I didn't see too many noteworthy originals, and a lot of sequels I was looking forward to weren't as good as the previous installments. But there were some good ones...

Thor 2 was awesome. Much better than the first. I love how all the Marvel flicks are interconnected and yet stand on their own.

The Evil Dead remake was INTENSE, and I've pretty much given up on the horror genre. I'd say this was my favorite scary movie since the original [rec].

The Last Days on Mars was a big surprise. Where the similar Europa Report failed, Last Days on Mars delivered.

I haven't watched Riddick yet but if it's as good as Pitch Black or Chronicles I'll be happy. Phone Post 3.0

Mud - very good acting with a Stand By Me vibe

The Place Beyond the Pines - Good Gosling crime drama

Before Midnight - loved this whole series

The Way Way Back / Kings of Summer - two fun coming of age movies

docs: Searching For Sugar Man, A Band Called Death - two similar music docs about forgotten musicians

I agree with Mud and Place Beyond the Pines. Both excellent movies.

Pines was almost like two good movies combined. Phone Post 3.0

My gf and I saw every major blockbuster this year

most surprising movie that I liked: Pacific Rim

still looking forward to seeing American Hustle, Nebraska, Inside Llewyn Davis, Out of the Furnace and Wolf of Wall St.

forrestfan - Mud - very good acting with a Stand By Me vibe

The Place Beyond the Pines - Good Gosling crime drama

Before Midnight - loved this whole series

The Way Way Back / Kings of Summer - two fun coming of age movies

docs: Searching For Sugar Man, A Band Called Death - two similar music docs about forgotten musicians
No shit? Before Midnight was great. Never thought I'd see another oGer who was a fan. Also Man of Steel because it motivates me Phone Post 3.0

NeoSpartan - My gf and I saw every major blockbuster this year

Haha that was my biggest disappointment of the year. Phone Post 3.0

I liked before midnight because they play the characters so well it doesn't look or feel like acting. Most of the arguments and conversations they have are about shit that normal people have. It feels real. Phone Post 3.0

The guy who plays Loki is an awesome actor. Him, Benedict Cumberbatch and Idris Elba are probably my favorite actors over the last year or two. Phone Post 3.0

Darth Ryase - 

What were your expectations?

I didnt know what it was about, who was in it, other than that there's giant robots. Was entertaining as fuck. Of course I also like the Fast & Furious franchise so maybe we have widely differing tastes lol

NeoSpartan -
Darth Ryase - 

What were your expectations?

I didnt know what it was about, who was in it, other than that there's giant robots. Was entertaining as fuck. Of course I also like the Fast & Furious franchise so maybe we have widely differing tastes lol
I thought it was going to be like a non-stupid version of Transformers. Instead it was kind of like Transformer's slightly smarter cousin with a Fantastic Sam's haircut.

I really, really like the Fast and Furious movies so we're not too different lol 6 was a little over the top but 4 and 5 made me a fan. Phone Post 3.0

I also loved Olympus Has Fallen, in all its stupid glory. Phone Post 3.0

Kings of Summer was my favorite. Took me back to the old days of Stand by me, Goonies, the Outsiders, etc. Clearly not as good but still took me back.

12 years a slave was good but mainly due to the lead character's outstanding performance.

Oblivion was decent. Phone Post 3.0

From the English language films I've seen so far, here's where I'm sitting in a rather disappointing year (yet again).

Quality:

Blue Jasmine

12 Years a Slave

The Place Beyond the Pines

Decent:

Mud

This Is The End

Dallas Buyers Club

Bad:

Out of the Furnace

Gravity

Really Bad:

The Bling Ring

Elysium

Prisoners

I listed the movies I had positive expectations for.
Everything else I've seen is not even really worth mentioning. Movies like Pacific Rim, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Iron Man 3, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Oblivion, and so on... well, they were just what they seem to be and nothing more (in many, they were significantly less). None of these films stood out as anything other than (at best) being formulaic and predictable. Yet again, I've seen a few really good to great foreign language films this year, and many that took a stab at trying to do things right despite missing the mark. American films (and English language films in general) are redundant and most of them are just sad commercial excuses for films. We all already knew that, though.

I've still yet to watch a great deal of what was released this year, but I'm looking forward to quite a few still (even if I won't like all of them) such as:

The Book Thief

The Wolf of Wall Street

Inside Llewyn Davis

Only God Forgives

Fruitvale Station

Trance

In A World...

Side Effects

Her

Nebraska

All Is Lost

So, obviously I've got some catching up to do as it is already mid-December. Also, though I'll probably eventually see many of them, I really don't give a shit about movies like Captain Phillips, The Great Gatsby, Before Midnight, Saving Mr. Banks, The Counselor, Rush, and so on, so I won't bother with them before the awards-season ends. Some I will never bother with.

I'd like to note that (though I'll watch it) I'm not at all looking forward to American Hustle. David O. Russell's last two films (The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook) were not good, no matter the praise or accolades or monetary gain. They're hackneyed and hamfisted, sloppy and unrefined, shallow and contrived, and ultimately quite poorly executed from conceptualization through writing, production, and post, and it amazes me how much people love this tripe. These fucking movies are laughable, but morons love them. They're bad films. Period. Did we all somehow forget about I <3 Huckabees? Apparently if you disappear for a decade, you can come back and make shit movies and it will take a while for everybody to catch on again. Oh well, Sandra Bullock has won as many Oscars as Stanley Kubrick.

Gravity is great eye candy.

I liked Warm Bodies. Perfect tone & some great performances for a silly genre-bending romantic comedy.

I'm counting Django Unchained since this thread is now instead of January. I guess for obvious reasons.

Tim's Vermeer & Blackfish are compelling docs.

Side note: Everybody hated the everloving fuck out of Movie 43, then memed the tampon ad out of it like it was a real thing.

Favorite: Gravity

Least Favorite: Only God Forgives (I loved Drive, and thought Only God Forgives was beyond horrible)

Still Haven't Seen: Thor II

Damn Raxbot, good post.

Over the last few years I've seen a lot of new and interesting ideas coming out Hollywood (compared to the years preceding) but they always end up playing it safe. And the result is always "decent"...movies like Elysium, Oblivion, Pacific Rim...so much potential but they end up feeling kind of dull. They take no chances. Phone Post 3.0