Fear of the next belt

I started thinking about this after seeing several new brown belts post about their promotions and it got me thinking.

At blue, I looked at the purple belt (really just the color of it) and saw it as an "ugly" color. I didn't look forward to changing my belt and had some nostalgia about my blue belt. Now at purple, I look at the brown belt the same way and love my purple.

I know this is a mental thing for sure, but I find it weird that, in my head, the manifestation of fear is translated to thinking the next belt is "ugly." The comfort in the color comes from the comfort in my ability to wear the belt and feel that my ability is reflected by its color.

I know a lot of guys, when promoted, fear the new belt and the responsibility that comes with it. Anybody else identify/deal with other weird, psychological issues when it comes to being promoted?

I've only ever focused on getting a little better, every single day. And I believe that is what has allowed me to advance from White to Brown in 5 years.

I felt prepared and at the next level for every promotion I've received thus far. I anticipate Black will probably be different, as I am aware of the VAST range in abilities between those at Black versus any other rank. Phone Post 3.0

It's a target on your back. Whatever color it is. Like BTT said, one day at a time.  Try to do one thing better or have a better understanding of it everyday you train.

It makes you grow. Dealing with the extra pressure from the other ranks teaches you to close holes in your game. In fact, defending your belt is a gift from your coach that will teach you far more lessons than staying at a lower rank. Phone Post 3.0

akb62 - As a jiu jitsu hobbyist and an extremely competitive casual competitor, the idea of competing and winning at purple and higher seems impossible.

Winning a world title only seems reachable at white and blue. Phone Post 3.0
That's pretty much where it's at after Blue. I train after work from 6-9pm pretty much M-F and open mat on Saturday, and I've yet to medal at any Pans, Worlds or Nats, despite some success in smaller tournaments... :(

My team has 8 IBJJF trophies from just our home gym, and I train with many guys whom have won Gold and other medals at Brown and Black but in the Master's divisions.

It definitely gets tougher in the competition aspect with going higher in rank and competing in the adult division. And it is becoming more and more difficult with an influx of full time bjj competitors to win the major championships.

Even another full time athlete like Ben Henderson cannot manage to beat the top bjj players because he cannot focus all his attention on just training bjj. Phone Post 3.0

In my head i am stoked about the new pressure because it will push me to be better than ever. No that many brown belts within a few states honestly. Most brown and black compete for free and do invites. If I get an invite that will just fast forward my skillset trying to prepare for something like that. Phone Post 3.0

I understand the mentality of not thinking about the next belt and just worrying about getting better and progressing but, if you think about your game enough, you can't help but compare yourself to the guys above you.

What are they doing differently than you? What adjustments do you need to make to be on their level? Those type of thoughts need to happen for you to make progression and better your game. In that analysis, you must think about the belt. The belt is the recognition of this progress, knowledge and application. It is also an indication that your instructor thinks one of two things:
1. you are ready to represent him/her at that belt level
or
2. you are really close and need the extra encouragement to get on the mats more or think more when you are on the mats.

Once you get a couple years into your belt and are competing with the higher belts, or the lower belts are easier to deal with, you can't help but mentally picture yourself wearing that belt alongside those tough people above you.

My point was that my image of myself wearing the next belt, because of my anxiety, makes me think that I look weird wearing that belt. We all want to represent well and we should trust our instructor's judgment (which I do 100%). I look up to the guys ranked above me. I'm just saying that the fear/anxiety I have of having to stand in line, as the same rank as them, makes my brain do weird things and I was wondering what weird things others think.

It's looks weird to you now because as of right NOW you are not that skill level. When you have that let you will feel different. Phone Post 3.0

If your focusing on the belt after purple, then your really not ready for the next level.. Once you get good enough all you worry about is your own personal improvement.. You shouldn't be in it for outside recognition and or for the approval from others.. It should be much more internal than that.. Your game will speak for itself regardless of what color belt is around your waist.. 

I had a brown belt ask me once.. If I think he is black belt level.. The answer to that is in the question.... 

Marion Cobretti - 

If your focusing on the belt after purple, then your really not ready for the next level.. Once you get good enough all you worry about is your own personal improvement.. You shouldn't be in it for outside recognition and or for the approval from others.. It should be much more internal than that.. Your game will speak for itself regardless of what color belt is around your waist.. 

I had a brown belt ask me once.. If I think he is black belt level.. The answer to that is in the question.... 

The point of this thread was not to suggest that people are obsessing over the next belt. The point was that everyone thinks about those on the next level and gets nervous when comparing themselves to those above them.

I don't want this to come off as I think I am ready or an ego thing. I just wanted to start a discussion about how one understands his/her progression and how they deal with the mental journey of jiu jitsu.

In my experience, I know that I am not ready for promotion when I think I am ready for promotion. Once doubt sets in, that has been when my journey to the next belt begins. In my experience, when I start thinking about the next belt and I feel comfortable picturing myself wearing the belt, I will eventually realize I was not even close to being ready. It's usually when I doubt myself most that I am starting to progress to the next level. The closer I get, the more excuses my brain makes that I shouldn't be at the next level ( even to the superficial point of think the belt is "ugly").

I guess I'm trying to say there is a difference between I deserve this and I need to step up to prove I deserve this.

In my experience, I never deserved a promotion when I thought I was ready but when I got promoted, it made me realize I had big shoes to fill.

shark tank - 
Marion Cobretti - 

<br />
<span class="User-327744" id="userPost51468079">The point of this thread was not to suggest that people are obsessing over the next belt. The point was that everyone thinks about those on the next level and gets nervous when comparing themselves to those above them.<br />
<br />
I don't want this to come off as I think I am ready or an ego thing. I just wanted to start a discussion about how one understands his/her progression and how they deal with the mental journey of jiu jitsu.<br />
<br />
In my experience, I know that I am not ready for promotion when I think I am ready for promotion. Once doubt sets in, that has been when my journey to the next belt begins. In my experience, when I start thinking about the next belt and I feel comfortable picturing myself wearing the belt, I will eventually realize I was not even close to being ready. It's usually when I doubt myself most that I am starting to progress to the next level. The closer I get, the more excuses my brain makes that I shouldn't be at the next level ( even to the superficial point of think the belt is &quot;ugly&quot;). </span><br />
&nbsp;</blockquote>

Shark,

read your second sentence.. you need to stop comparing yourself to others.. that is my point..  You will be happier and better for it in the long run.. just my 2 cents.. 

akb62 - As a jiu jitsu hobbyist and an extremely competitive casual competitor, the idea of competing and winning at purple and higher seems impossible.

I have to pull you up there. At worlds this year there was 163 people in my division. That's a lot of matches and I can tell you first and second were atos full time athlete and an AOJ coach. I love jiu jitsu. But your never gonna win worlds at any belt level as just a hobbyist anymore . Phone Post 3.0

BTTMike -

That's pretty much where it's at after Blue. I train after work from 6-9pm pretty much M-F and open mat on Saturday, and I've yet to medal at any Pans, Worlds or Nats, despite some success in smaller tournaments... :(

My team has 8 IBJJF trophies from just our home gym, and I train with many guys whom have won Gold and other medals at Brown and Black but in the Master's divisions.

It definitely gets tougher in the competition aspect with going higher in rank and competing in the adult division. And it is becoming more and more difficult with an influx of full time bjj competitors to win the major championships.

Even another full time athlete like Ben Henderson cannot manage to beat the top bjj players because he cannot focus all his attention on just training bjj. Phone Post 3.0
In fairness training that much is what's allowed you to get to brown in 5 years although I agree you should focus on getting better rather than belt chasing

I love the art and it's been 10 years for me but I went through periods where I only trained once a week when the kids were young Phone Post 3.0

ozjiujitsu -

I have to pull you up there. At worlds this year there was 163 people in my division. That's a lot of matches and I can tell you first and second were atos full time athlete and an AOJ coach. I love jiu jitsu. But your never gonna win worlds at any belt level as just a hobbyist anymore . Phone Post 3.0
Agreed Phone Post 3.0

Marion Cobretti - 
shark tank - 
Marion Cobretti - 

<br />
<span class="User-327744" id="userPost51468079">The point of this thread was not to suggest that people are obsessing over the next belt. The point was that everyone thinks about those on the next level and gets nervous when comparing themselves to those above them.<br />
<br />
I don't want this to come off as I think I am ready or an ego thing. I just wanted to start a discussion about how one understands his/her progression and how they deal with the mental journey of jiu jitsu.<br />
<br />
In my experience, I know that I am not ready for promotion when I think I am ready for promotion. Once doubt sets in, that has been when my journey to the next belt begins. In my experience, when I start thinking about the next belt and I feel comfortable picturing myself wearing the belt, I will eventually realize I was not even close to being ready. It's usually when I doubt myself most that I am starting to progress to the next level. The closer I get, the more excuses my brain makes that I shouldn't be at the next level ( even to the superficial point of think the belt is &quot;ugly&quot;). </span><br />
&nbsp;</blockquote>

Shark,

read your second sentence.. you need to stop comparing yourself to others.. that is my point..  You will be happier and better for it in the long run.. just my 2 cents.. 

Thanks for the insight and I appreciate the advice.

People are speculating that my brown may be coming soon. I know my instructor has pretty high standards, but I still feel like I don't deserve it and I'm terrified.

Plus, like op said, I LOVE my purple belt. Dyed it myself and it's well worn. Phone Post 3.0