February 8th Rally for Legal MMA in NY

For Immediate Release:

Rally on February 8, 2011, to Legalize Mixed Martial Arts in New York State

NEW YORK, December 27, 2010 -- On Tuesday, February 8, at 12 noon a rally will be held for the support of legalized and regulated mixed martial arts in New York State*. We will gather at 250 Broadway, Manhattan, New York, 10007 (Across the street from City Hall).

This rally is being organized by the Coalition to Legalize Mixed Martial Arts in New York, a non-partisan volunteer group of organizations, gyms, business owners, and individuals who support the legalization and regulation of mixed martial arts in the state of New York.

In 2010, with the support of Governor Paterson and former Governor Pataki, legislation to legalize and regulate mixed martial arts was approved by the New York State Senate, but not the Assembly. We thus have chosen to rally at 250 Broadway, which houses the district office of Sheldon Silver, the Speaker of the New York State Assembly.

We ask that you bring picket signs (please keep your comments and images respectful and do not use metal, wood, or plastic rods to hold your signs - only use cardboard tubes to hold you signs), and, f possible, a pair of focus mitts. Please DO NOT bring any audio projection equipment.

"If you are a fan, fighter, gym owner, business owner, or organization official who wants to start the 2011 New York legislative calendar by letting our government know we want legalized and regulated MMA in New York, please come show your support! Let's gather together to show our legislators that New York is not respecting the wishes of its voters! Let's remind our legislators that MMA is a professional sport and in need of regulation! Let's remind our legislators how much business and how many jobs are lost to neighboring states where MMA is properly sanctioned! Let's remind our legislators that we care about the safety of our athletes! Let's remind our legislators that it is the people of New York who vote for them, and that WE WANT LEGALIZED AND REGULATED MIXED MARTIAL ARTS IN NEW YORK STATE!"

-Stephen Koepfer of the Coalition to Legalize Mixed Martial Arts in New York.

For more information please contact Stephen Koepfer at NYMMANOW@gmail.com or 718-728-8054

Be sure to subscribe to our blog: http://nymmanow.blogspot.com and join our Facebook group

*Snow date for the rally is Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011.

Downloadable/printable version: PLease post in your club!
http://ussambo.com/stuff/coalition%20rally%20press%20release.pdf

ttt

It's going to pass during the next session regardless of Bob Reilly. It was passed last year and pulled last minute, as the bill it piggybacked was taken out for the state to reach budget.

The bill needs to be changed, IMO. Too much vagueness, and it gives a little too much power to the State Athletic Commission.

why is the rally in NYC and not the state capital?

Because sadly, not enough people in Albany give a shit. We tried spreading the word before the election to try and get Reilly voted out, but many just don't care one way or the other up here.

is there any significance to the date?

Nexuscrawlers -  why is the rally in NYC and not the state capital?

Because it will be at the office of Sheldon Silver...the Assembly Speaker who blocked the bill from getting to the floor for a vote.

shermbe - is there any significance to the date?

We chose the date because it will be early in the legislative calendar and we want to make early impressions on people.

Bob Reilly is vocal, but not as powerful as others like Silver. In a way, Reilly serves as a nice distraction for people who could focus their attentions on bigger fish...

PTSandman - The bill needs to be changed, IMO. Too much vagueness, and it gives a little too much power to the State Athletic Commission.

The bill is not perfect. But, we have yet to see what will be presented this year. No doubt it will not please everyone and there will be future battles to be had. But, this rally is supporting legalization in general. When the new bill is announced for 2011, we can debate the fine details. I only caution people to not get lost in the details...it is easy to de-rail ourselves that way.

I put the time in Steve, so i will be there for the rally, and the TD afterwards. I am looking to roll with you again and get my ass beat.

LOL! Thanks man!

Any chance you guys want me to film this? Help voice yourselves even more for the NY MMA documentary series.

Shoot me an e-mail...let's chat.
nymmanow@gmail.com