Fedor answers Noguera’s and Machida’s questions

Thanks to TSGIGOR for sending me the link! He's an awesome source for Russian MMA info!

My Translation:

/o:p

http://mixfight.ru/info/interviews/2009/3/3/Fedor-answers-questions-from-Nogueira-and-Machida/

Antonio Rodrigo Noguera and Lioto Machida submitted several questions to Fedor through a Brazilian reporter.

Noguera questions:

Noguera: How was the transition from fighting in Japan/st1:country-region to fighting in the US/st1:place/st1:country-region?

Fedor: It was not a difficult transition for me.

N: What was the biggest difference from fighting in Japan/st1:country-region to fighting in the US/st1:place/st1:country-region?

F: Not much of a difference. Different fans, different organizers. In Japan/st1:place/st1:country-region everything was more organized and exact.

N: What about the growth of MMA in Russia/st1:place/st1:country-region? Is it growing? Becoming more popular?

F: Yes, every year MMA becomes more popular in Russia/st1:place/st1:country-region. As far as I know, there are broadcasts of M-1 Challenge on the federal channel “Sport”. Russian club championships, M-1 Selection, also will be broadcast live on one of the channels.

N: Who will be the next champion out of Russia/st1:place/st1:country-region?

F: Don’t know. It’s hard to predict right now.

Questions from Machida/st1:place/st1:city:

M: What’s it like training in a small isolated town in Russia/st1:place/st1:country-region? Who do you train and spar with?

F: Just like in any other city, but in Stariy Oskol I feel calmer, can completely dedicate myself to training, practice technique and movement and I don’t have to meet with anyone. Here I have my friends and loved ones. Only here do I feel good.

M: How did you develop as a fighter? How to you manage to stay the best, while being far from major training centers?

F: I think the size of the training center is not an indication of mastery or degree of sport proficiency. Here we train and strive not to waste any effort; that all the work that we do will be 100% useful.

M: What, in your opinion is the most important aspect of your training?

F: The most important part is to thin about what you are working on. That the work that you do will not turn out to be empty.

Interesting questions from Lyoto, considering his gym is also kind of out in the middle of nowhere... Machida trains all over the place, but it still appears that his father is his coach and his brother Shinzo is his primary training partner

smoogy - Interesting questions from Lyoto, considering his gym is also kind of out in the middle of nowhere... Machida trains all over the place, but it still appears that his father is his coach and his brother Shinzo is his primary training partner

This was mentioned in the article, and probably why Machida asked Fedor's opinion on the matter. As an aside, the answers will be published in Brazil in Tatame magazine.

ttt

way cool. cheers for that 1.

Thanks for the interview.

Fedor's a cool guy, but in every interview -- and maybe part of it's the translation -- he seems to be completely lacking in personality. No humor, no more than the minimum answer to any question, never expands on anything, never speculates on anything, rarely gives an opinion -- it always seems like pulling teeth.

Obviously some of it's a cultural thing, too, but others like Igor, the Klitschkos, even Kharitonov manage to come across as less of a stiff.

I want to see him in the UFC if only to see Joe have to try and get something out of him after every fight.

"I want to see him in the UFC if only to see Joe have to try and get something out of him after every fight."

That seems like a strange reason to want him in the UFC.

Orcus.........I think Fedor explained that.

"Here we train and strive not to waste any effort; that all the work that we do will be 100% useful. "

It's clear that Fedor doesn't even waste a word.

Thanks for doing this, kot1k.

Ponyboy - Orcus.........I think Fedor explained that.

"Here we train and strive not to waste any effort; that all the work that we do will be 100% useful. "

It's clear that Fedor doesn't even waste a word.

Perfect.

But apparently orcus prefers his men to have more "fabulous" personalities.

TTT

Fedor's bluntness actually comes across as a personality especially when contrasted with the goofball warrior salesmanship many fighters put into their interviews.

The generic landscape of tattoos and aggressive cursing that dominates American MMA is the polarized opposite of Fedor, and actually the thing that makes him special personality-wise.

I would neither want every fighter to be like Fedor in the personality dept, nor like Junie Browning. But the predominance of one formula mode makes the rarer opposite special.

There is room for skepticism though. If/when Fedor loses, we will find out more about his personality than we ever knew. You can bank on that.

WoodenPupa - Fedor's bluntness actually comes across as a personality especially when contrasted with the goofball warrior salesmanship many fighters put into their interviews.

The generic landscape of tattoos and aggressive cursing that dominates American MMA is the polarized opposite of Fedor, and actually the thing that makes him special personality-wise.

I would neither want every fighter to be like Fedor in the personality dept, nor like Junie Browning. But the predominance of one formula mode makes the rarer opposite special.

There is room for skepticism though. If/when Fedor loses, we will find out more about his personality than we ever knew. You can bank on that.

"But apparently orcus prefers his men to have more "fabulous" personalities. "

Sorry, I guess you guys love reading interviews with three word answers that are neither entertaining nor interesting nor illuminating.

"Hey Fedor, what do you think of your next opponent Barnett and what will be your strategy?"

"Josh is a good fighter. I will do my best."

Wow! Can't wait to hear what he says next!

Fighters as a rule do not give interesting answers to those cookie cutter questions about the next opponent and the forthcoming strategy anyway.

We either get (1) obviously manufactured drama, or (2) deliberately vague answers within a framework of token politeness. No fighter wants to give away his strategy.

Among the most excruciating examples come from Royce, who called almost every single opponent "tough," said he intended to use his jiu jitsu and then left it at that. Like, WOW, dude! Another tough opponent and stuff. Lots of "tough" guys in the UFC, etc.

It's rare to find anything substantive when the questions are so generic. Nog and Machida did not ask especially interesting questions IMO. They are questions which have been asked before and addressed in fairly in-depth articles on Sherdog, etc.

Seriously, "what's it like training in a small town"?? You know, it's like, YOUR town, but smaller, and it's...mine. :)

Thx for sharing kot1k.

"Fedor's a cool guy, but in every interview -- and maybe part of it's the translation -- he seems to be completely lacking in personality. No humor, no more than the minimum answer to any question, never expands on anything, never speculates on anything, rarely gives an opinion -- it always seems like pulling teeth."

Fedor thinks long and hard about every answer he gives.  He really takes his time.  I think that he says what he believes is the right thing to say, but his private thoughts are a mystery.

I am sure that Fedor is not so quiet with his family and friends.  He does not seem to be very comfortable with all that comes with being a top figure in this sport.  As MMA has blown up in popularity, we as fans want to know more about the fighters we like.  However, someone that isn't into the stuff outside of a fight seems rather boring and leaves us wanting or expecting more. 

I think it's cool that he's like that.  He's just different than other fighters.  Sure, I'd like to see the other side of him that has a sense of humor, but I respect that he is the way he is.

ttt that was awesome. Fedor is the man, i dont care if he loses 5 times or retires tomorrow, no one will ever be as good, or as humble

machida asked some good questions

interesting