Fedor Breaks Nose, Injures Hand

He needs to be upgraded with better parts, perhaps a more flexible alloy this time?

If he keeps breaking his hand, he may end up retiring. It's like every fight now.

Fedor and Igor punch the same way and both have been plagued with hand injuries throughout their careers. Hand injuries are the reason Igor retired.

a post from striker18 back in '04:

Date: 04/29/04 08:40 PM

What he is doing are called long hooks. Generally most American style boxers throw hooks and uppercuts in a short and tight style. However, people from countries that were once Communist and other parts of the world are taught to throw hooks and uppercuts this way. The same applies to uppercuts, though I haven't seen Fedor throw any uppercuts yet, I bet he throws them long style as well.
The only reason I know this is because both forum member punchdrunk27 and myself trained with someone off and on for a couple years who won his weight class in both Romania and Hungary and had over 300 fights in the process. Both David Tua's promoter and the same German boxing club that the LHW Darius fights out of begged him to fight pro for them, but I think after as many fights as he had, he was just tired of fighting.

Anyway, if you haven't ever trained with someone who can throw long hooks and uppercuts, you are in for a big shock the first time you fight or spar a guy who can.

Long hooks/uppercuts come in from an angle people aren't used to seeing, can be thrown from mid and long range (not just short range like the traditional hook), and in my experience generate more power than short hooks. That is pretty much what happened in the Goodridge/Fedor fight, where Fedor repeatedly landed long left and right hooks. It freaked Goodridge out since I doubt he has ever sparred or fought someone who can throw long european style hooks like that. I know I was shocked as hell the first time I was hit with long hooks and uppercuts because they were hard as hell, but I couldn't see where they coming from.

Anyway, long hooks are thrown pretty much the same way a jab or straight right would be, but instead of turning your wrist over and throwing it straight, you twist your forearm/wrist and bring out your elbow a little bit, but just as with a short hook, most of the movement is done with your hips and not your arm.

Fedor throws a sambo punch so it's correct and proper if you ask the Russians

Shanks V3.1 - a post from striker18 back in '04:

Date: 04/29/04 08:40 PM

What he is doing are called long hooks. Generally most American style boxers throw hooks and uppercuts in a short and tight style. However, people from countries that were once Communist and other parts of the world are taught to throw hooks and uppercuts this way. The same applies to uppercuts, though I haven't seen Fedor throw any uppercuts yet, I bet he throws them long style as well.
The only reason I know this is because both forum member punchdrunk27 and myself trained with someone off and on for a couple years who won his weight class in both Romania and Hungary and had over 300 fights in the process. Both David Tua's promoter and the same German boxing club that the LHW Darius fights out of begged him to fight pro for them, but I think after as many fights as he had, he was just tired of fighting.

Anyway, if you haven't ever trained with someone who can throw long hooks and uppercuts, you are in for a big shock the first time you fight or spar a guy who can.

Long hooks/uppercuts come in from an angle people aren't used to seeing, can be thrown from mid and long range (not just short range like the traditional hook), and in my experience generate more power than short hooks. That is pretty much what happened in the Goodridge/Fedor fight, where Fedor repeatedly landed long left and right hooks. It freaked Goodridge out since I doubt he has ever sparred or fought someone who can throw long european style hooks like that. I know I was shocked as hell the first time I was hit with long hooks and uppercuts because they were hard as hell, but I couldn't see where they coming from.

Anyway, long hooks are thrown pretty much the same way a jab or straight right would be, but instead of turning your wrist over and throwing it straight, you twist your forearm/wrist and bring out your elbow a little bit, but just as with a short hook, most of the movement is done with your hips and not your arm.

Excellent re-post, thanks

There have been some very informative threads about his casting style on here over the years, interesting stuff

FWIW it seems like he throws his punches on the ground the same way, which is what makes them so lethal. His first Nog fight was some of the most insane power on the ground I've ever seen

Fedor's nose was already damaged going into the fight if you looked at him.

ttt for the long hook.

He hits like a truck.

his right hand is fine though :)

IrishRottie - 

That is one of the most brutal punches I've seen. It's like he puts everything he has into it and just lauches himself.

Fedors right hand

lol

I feel like If Rogers wasn't loading up for that left hook and instead he threw a stiff jab he would've beat Fedor to the punch like the way he did when he cut his nose. I don't know, can someone that knows what they're talking about offer their opinion on that?

RobbedByMyCheetah - 
kaitlinrosie - 
blue63 - 
torquemada - The way he throws punches, I'm amazed he doesn't break one every time he fights...

It's the exact same way most Sambo guys punch...
It kind of reminds me of throwing a shot put.

Do you mean discus?

Yeah it's interesting. Using the lead leg as a pivot, while using an expanded arm length(increased radius)& hip rotation to gain more torque into the punch.

Whats the difference between a long right hook and an overhand right? It looks like an overhand right to me.

sounds like what we call a whip