Fedor cares about the long term money

It's starting to annoy me how people are talking that Fedor loves fighting, will fight for his honour, or that it's not about the money.

It is. He got into fighting because the two options for people with martial arts training were join organised crime as bodyguards (what Aleks did and ended up in jail for) or do professional fighting. His love is Sambo, he does that for free, MMA is what pays the bills.

Again what he's looking at is paying the bills, and supporting his friends. He doesn't have a lavish lifestyle, he splurged a bit buying his mother a house, but he doesn't do the same type of partying that you see other people doing when they become champ. That's why you'll see him fighting for $300K in Affliction instead of $2M in UFC. $300K is enough to pay the bills, he owns all the rights to his footage and has more freedom to work elsewhere, so that protects his interests in the long term. It's also why he regularly tries to get his team-mates fights, kind of like how GSP's manager got Loiseau back in the UFC as a package deal after Riveira smoked him. He's making enough money for himself, so he's looking at what he can do to support the rest of his friends making money in a sustainable fashion themselves. If you look at it as a promoter and are willing to pay Fedor $1.5M, and he says, no, I'll fight for $300K, but put two of my team-mates on the card and pay them, for a total less than $1M, the promoter will probably think it's worth it. For Fedor it's also worth it, eventually one of them will become a breakout star.

He doesn't claim he's the best, and doesn't even want to be considered the best. He's idolised in Russia and this concerns him because he thinks he's now a catalyst for blasphemy. This is what makes everyone saying that he needs to prove himself in the UFC such bullshit. If anything he doesn't want to increase his stock to the point that everyone seriously thinks he could armbar god, rather than just some people making funny romoshops.

He signed a 5 year deal with M-1, where if he sticks with them for 5 years he gets an ownership stake in the company. Since it's really not about the fighting for him, he'd be perfectly happy to make money for the rest of his life to cover the bills of his family. This is why co-promotion would be a big deal for him, he wants to build up the name value of M-1. Even if they don't have a promoter's license now, if they get one later they can solo promote fights, and M-1 benefits from the exposure of every Fedor fight having been for M-1. This is what gets him money when he retires from fighting, and of course having a promotion with name recognition is a great venue for him to support his friends and team-mates.

As far as recognition goes, he's probably interested in getting to a point like Cung Le is where he can make good money appearing in cameos for martial arts films every couple years. Again, that's long term money. Even if it's nothing great and he doesn't become a superstar like Jet Li, it's enough to cover his bills.

He fights now because that's what gets him the money. He'll keep fighting as long as it is what gets him the money, but he's always looking for ways to keep making money without having to fight, and his reasons for fighting where he does are related to that.

He's not fighting because he loves the competition.
He's not fighting because he wants to be the best.
He's not fighting for recognition.
He's fighting for money, which is to support his family, so really he's fighting for his family. That's all he cares about.

All the arguments about Fedor come from people either just not understanding this, or being too idiotic and stubborn to accept it, and listening to Dana White, Frank Mir or even Jerry Millen spew shit isn't helping anyone.

When you talked about armbaring god you clearly ment Brock. Let's see it! I want to see fedor fight the best of the best. That's not even Brock. Fedor could win that fight but their are many others in the ufc that would be amazing. The ufc production and marketing skills would make this classic and an entertaining fresh and exciting 2012 in the ufc.

he would make much more in the ufc

/thread

goku - he would make much more in the ufc

/thread

Ask Don King, Oscar De La Hoya, or even Dana White if promoters or fighters make more? If they can turn M-1 into a major promoter Fedor will make several orders of magnitude more money with M-1 than as a fighter in the UFC or anywhere.

And the only fighter who has successfully turned into a promoter is Oscar, and he did it by promoting himself when he was still a big draw. Fighters who've tried to get into promoting after retiring almost never get anywhere. If Fedor wants the really big money, he's way better trying to make M-1 a major player than fighting for a paycheck.

Its the same reason that anyone makes a startup rather than going with an established company. Bill Gates could have worked for IBM when they asked him for MS-DOS, instead he took a gamble and went with his own company Microsoft. Does anyone really think he'd have made billions as an employee for IBM?

OP is right, but uses some ambiguous phrasing

Focusing on the point about Fedor caring more about friends, family, and his country's financial well-being and happiness is key.

EPGScott - That argument is weak, he would make more money fighting in the UFC and making $1.5 million per, in the situation you gave. The interest on the difference would make up for all loses he would take in his other ventures. Big difference between $300k and $1,500k.....

I just think he is tied into M1 contract and they decide for the most part where he fights. Millen is part of M1 and HATES Dana, they say they want co-promotion as they know Dana won't do it. Thus they go to SF and get a few easier wins and then can go renegotiate with more power. We all know Dana won't give on co-promotion so who knows what will happen. No hard core fans will be happy will we see the top UFC guys vs Fedor so who knows.

You're thinking short term, not long term. Just like Zuffa was thinking long term when they went 8 figures into debt with the UFC. It's about raking in long term money, not about making a quick buck.

You also didn't bother reading the whole thing as you clearly missed the part with Fedor having an ownership stake in M-1 which will give him money long after he's retired from fighting.

/thread

If that's the case why do people leave the UFC all the time because they're not making enough money. UFC was good for guys like Forrest Griffin, it's not good for someone like Fedor.

Nah, you're just a newb. I've been around for a while so I remember what was going on when he signed with M-1 after Pride folded. Nothing is made up, you just know so little that you believe whatever is spoonfed to you.

I don't need to provide links. You're from Sherdog, and got banned. That shoots any credibility you have to start with.

The funny thing is that Fedor himself said flat-out that fighting is just his job.

/thread

Not if he thinks he can build M1 into a big mma company.

orcus -  The funny thing is that Fedor himself said flat-out that fighting is just his job.

Exactly. It's like expecting Keith Hackney to prove he's the best... what was he, air duct repairman?

This whole is Fedor the best thing is an issue for fans and for other fighters. Fighters for whom it matters if they're the best will want to find a way to fight Fedor or to discredit him if they can't. It's a big deal for BJ, that's why he fought Gomi in his own organisation.

OblongBox - 
laqueus - I don't need to provide links. You're from Sherdog, and got banned. That shoots any credibility you have to start with.

I tell you what, you're a real smart guy aren't you. If you're gonna start a thread and can't provide proof of your claims you need to stop posting. Quit being lazy and making stuff up, hoping other posters don't catch you.

I'm not making shit up. I'm going based on things that I remember, but I'm not going to go digging up links for people who were too stupid to pay attention when the information came out in the first place.

Ok, just ask tito or randy. Lets be honest. If there was any mma star that could make more money without the UFC and make a run at thier own promotion, it would be tito or randy.

Both have certainly had thier chance. Randy may have been "legally bound". But I really think tito missed a golden opportunity. With the money and business tito n his wife have there was potential.

ANYWAY, its already been said over n over. Fedor could and would have the best and most profitable mma contract in history with the UFC. However, Fedor seems to be content (which is cool and a whole other chapter) with pursuing strikeforce and this co promotion thing.

EDIT: FEDOR CARES ABOUT LONG TERM HEALTH, he listens to the mob in russia

^That's another possibility.

angryguy - Ok, just ask tito or randy. Lets be honest. If there was any mma star that could make more money without the UFC and make a run at thier own promotion, it would be tito or randy.

Both have certainly had thier chance. Randy may have been "legally bound". But I really think tito missed a golden opportunity. With the money and business tito n his wife have there was potential.

ANYWAY, its already been said over n over. Fedor could and would have the best and most profitable mma contract in history with the UFC. However, Fedor seems to be content (which is cool and a whole other chapter) with pursuing strikeforce and this co promotion thing.

Short term contract, where he can be cut if he loses, and is stuck forever if he keeps winning. That sucks for him. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. He has a bird in the hand with M-1, and as long as he keeps doing what he's doing with them things will turn out well. And as long as he keeps on winning, UFC will want to sign him, so even if things fall apart with M-1, UFC is still an option later.

laqueus - 
angryguy - Ok, just ask tito or randy. Lets be honest. If there was any mma star that could make more money without the UFC and make a run at thier own promotion, it would be tito or randy.

Short term contract, where he can be cut if he loses, and is stuck forever if he keeps winning. That sucks for him. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. He has a bird in the hand with M-1, and as long as he keeps doing what he's doing with them things will turn out well. And as long as he keeps on winning, UFC will want to sign him, so even if things fall apart with M-1, UFC is still an option later.

That's the strange element in the UFC's contract - they can fire you, you can't quit. I don't know many people who'd work for their company under that arrangement. I'm not even sure it would stand a court challenge.

laqueus - It's starting to annoy me how people are talking that Fedor loves fighting, will fight for his honour, or that it's not about the money.

It is. He got into fighting because the two options for people with martial arts training were join organised crime as bodyguards (what Aleks did and ended up in jail for) or do professional fighting. His love is Sambo, he does that for free, MMA is what pays the bills.

Again what he's looking at is paying the bills, and supporting his friends. He doesn't have a lavish lifestyle, he splurged a bit buying his mother a house, but he doesn't do the same type of partying that you see other people doing when they become champ. That's why you'll see him fighting for $300K in Affliction instead of $2M in UFC. $300K is enough to pay the bills, he owns all the rights to his footage and has more freedom to work elsewhere, so that protects his interests in the long term. It's also why he regularly tries to get his team-mates fights, kind of like how GSP's manager got Loiseau back in the UFC as a package deal after Riveira smoked him. He's making enough money for himself, so he's looking at what he can do to support the rest of his friends making money in a sustainable fashion themselves. If you look at it as a promoter and are willing to pay Fedor $1.5M, and he says, no, I'll fight for $300K, but put two of my team-mates on the card and pay them, for a total less than $1M, the promoter will probably think it's worth it. For Fedor it's also worth it, eventually one of them will become a breakout star.

He doesn't claim he's the best, and doesn't even want to be considered the best. He's idolised in Russia and this concerns him because he thinks he's now a catalyst for blasphemy. This is what makes everyone saying that he needs to prove himself in the UFC such bullshit. If anything he doesn't want to increase his stock to the point that everyone seriously thinks he could armbar god, rather than just some people making funny romoshops.

He signed a 5 year deal with M-1, where if he sticks with them for 5 years he gets an ownership stake in the company. Since it's really not about the fighting for him, he'd be perfectly happy to make money for the rest of his life to cover the bills of his family. This is why co-promotion would be a big deal for him, he wants to build up the name value of M-1. Even if they don't have a promoter's license now, if they get one later they can solo promote fights, and M-1 benefits from the exposure of every Fedor fight having been for M-1. This is what gets him money when he retires from fighting, and of course having a promotion with name recognition is a great venue for him to support his friends and team-mates.

As far as recognition goes, he's probably interested in getting to a point like Cung Le is where he can make good money appearing in cameos for martial arts films every couple years. Again, that's long term money. Even if it's nothing great and he doesn't become a superstar like Jet Li, it's enough to cover his bills.

He fights now because that's what gets him the money. He'll keep fighting as long as it is what gets him the money, but he's always looking for ways to keep making money without having to fight, and his reasons for fighting where he does are related to that.

He's not fighting because he loves the competition.

He's not fighting because he wants to be the best.

He's not fighting for recognition.

He's fighting for money, which is to support his family, so really he's fighting for his family. That's all he cares about.

All the arguments about Fedor come from people either just not understanding this, or being too idiotic and stubborn to accept it, and listening to Dana White, Frank Mir or even Jerry Millen spew shit isn't helping anyone.
You are wrong about some points. Here are some excerpts from a translated interview with Fedor;

Q: What's more important for you as a fighter: the ability to earn good money, or the worldwide popularity and fame of the best fighter in the heavyweight division and in all of MMA?

A: All of these factors are important for me. Remaining the best heavyweight fighter is the most important one.

Q: How did you like competing in Saint Petersburg? (M-1)

A: I liked it a lot.

So apparently he likes the competition, he fights for recognition as well as money and being the best fighter. But I agree that his primary focus is God and his family that's for sure.

interesting thread.

however, if he was truly interested in big money then he may want to consider losing those leaches Millen & co who can only be bleeding him dry at this point.