Fedor confirmed for June return vs Werdum

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11040&zoneid=13

- FEDOR CONFIRMED FOR JUNE RETURN AGAINST WERDUM
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

The speculation about the return of Fedor Emelianenko has been running rampant ever since the Russian heavyweight was not one of the fighters scheduled to compete on the upcoming Strikeforce on CBS show on April 17.

The former Pride champion has been rumored to face former UFC fighter Fabricio Werdum for months, while new rumors have popped up saying he will next compete in Japan against Hidehiko Yoshida in his retirement match.

Strikeforce president Scott Coker addressed the rumors and put to bed much of the speculation around where Fedor would be fighting next when he spoke to reporters following Dream 13 on Monday in Japan.

"M-1 Global and Strikeforce entered into a three fight contract exclusive for Fedor to fight in a co-promotion between Strikeforce and M-1 Global, and as you know we did the first fight on Nov 7 in Chicago," said Coker.

"Fedor is now scheduled to fight in June towards the end of the month in America against Fabricio Werdum."

With the fight with Werdum now confirmed, the only thing left remaining is if Fedor could actually be able to fight Yoshida in Japan, and as of right now it doesn't sound like that is likely to happen.

"I've heard the rumors as well, and as I know more I will let the media know in American, and let the media know here, but I believe that's just a rumor," Coker said when speaking about the fight with Fedor and Yoshida.

Now that some of the questions have been answered, the only thing looming overhead is when Fedor could possibly compete for the Strikeforce heavyweight title, which is currently held by Alistair Overeem.

Overeem will fight Brett Rogers on May 15 in St. Louis, but there has been no final word from Strikeforce if the heavyweight belt will be on the line or not.

Agreed, would be nice to get another CBS show right after the April one, it would mean CBS is actually behind MMA to me

Fedor confirmed ...

I'm filming Fabricio leading up to the fight.

I started a thread with some behind the scenes type stuff.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ns/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1614924&page=1#post-29520191

confirmed again bitches!

I hope for Strikeforce's sake this happens on CBS

great call Brian on Gina & Herschel, although I am not yet convinced either of them are sure to fight again, or at least ready to go soon.

Good.

While Werdum isn't even close to being the best or most compelling challenger possible now for Fedor - like Brock, Cain, or Dos Santos - he is still a legit top-10 HW who actually has one of the better sets of wins currently in the HW division. (Much better than, for example, what Alistair the official Strikeforce "champion," and Carwin the official UFC "#1 contender" have done up to now.)

He's also the best pure submissions grappler in the HW division, who seems to have really improved his Muay Thai and power striking in the last few years as well, since joining Chute Boxe. And he also showed some real heart and toughness in his wins over Gonzaga and Antonio Silva.

He's a legit top-level skilled HW, who has been a consistent top-10 HW for most of the last 5 years - with wins over Gonzaga 2x, Aleksander, Alistair, Antonio Silva, Erikson, and Vera.

Less than ideal - but still a credible opponent and worthwhile matchup.

I'd assume it would have to be CBS, wouldn't it?

That is good that Fedor is fighting, but I really don't care to see him against Werdum. Though any Fedor is better than no Fedor.

this will be the 4th top ten heavyweight that fedor will be fighting wow

no other heavyweight in the world comes even close to fighting top competition like fedor recently

Yawn. Wake me when the Lesnar fight happens.

Dream is also trying to set up AO vs Barnett, winner gets Fedor.

Well at least we'll see him once this year

Hopefully he can finish off Werdum before he completely shatters his hands :(

xboxufc - 
frontrowbrian - 
Nicknitro - Who cares?
5.5 million people cared enough to tune in to watch Fedor last time.

For free.

Nobody really pays to see Fedor though.

What does he do PPV? 40-50 k?

I pay to see Fedor, so fuck you. Oh, and VTFD yet again.....

At this point, Fedor fights should not considered 'confirmed' until both fighters are in the ring, IMO.

Haha, so Fedor and M-1's antics cost them their biggest star being on CBS and now he will be on Showtime (where M-1 will get less exposure).

M-1 is so smart that they got Fedor on Showtime rather than CBS! Success!

epwar - Haha, so Fedor and M-1's antics cost them their biggest star being on CBS and now he will be on Showtime (where M-1 will get less exposure).

exactly, for Strikeforce's sake, I hope CBS, but as far as M-1 goes, I am hoping for public access

savage animal - 
epwar - Haha, so Fedor and M-1's antics cost them their biggest star being on CBS and now he will be on Showtime (where M-1 will get less exposure).

exactly, for Strikeforce's sake, I hope CBS, but as far as M-1 goes, I am hoping for public access

The CBS exec who always talks the MMA shows said their next one on CBS won't be until the fall.

M-1 brings the fail! But knowing M-1, the match will happen and then they will say there is a problem with Fedor's contract because they didn't get enough exposure. Crazy Russians!

frontrowbrian - 
where did you read it's going to be on SHO? I hadn't read anything saying one way or another

The CBS exec who discusses MMA said their next show would be in the fall. And given that it was 6 months between the first two shows, I highly doubt they will turn around and do a third show 2 months later.