Fedor makes a good point (sherdog)

Mitya:

Do sports men of other countries have any peculiarities of fighting?

Fedor.E.:

"Sure, they have, Brasilia 's are the strongest nation of all. Their technique is the best. "The fighting without rules" is very popular in this country."

Duly noted Fedor.

*edited for the maximum level of correctness humanly possible to meet Underground Forum expectations*

Interview is 6 months old BTW.

Did everyone agree with Fedor that Brazilians have the best technique?

"duly", btw.

Adam from Conn, Winged Hussar

wherever NHB is most popular and widely practiced for a long period of time, will obviously have the best technique.

Brasilians have the best technique on the ground. But the americans are really challenging that (only in respect to no-gi). The Americans have the best wrestling. Holland has the best kick-boxers. Boxers etc. etc. etc.

I think the brasilians are very good, but there are plenty of fighters around the world that can challenge them and beat them. Thats the game, anything can happen.

Fedor is the best MMA fighter pound for pound of all time and he's not brazillian.

Best BJJ - Braz (big suprise?)
Best wrestlers - US
Best strikers - tie US/Europe
Best Judo - Russ
Best freestyle grapplers - Japan
Best girls - Sweden

"Best BJJ - Braz (big suprise?) Best wrestlers - US Best strikers - tie US/Europe Best Judo - Russ Best freestyle grapplers - Japan Best girls - Sweden "

are you guys fucking kidding me?

Holland has good MMAers? lol.

japan has best girls?

Dude... you uneducated pricks.

Japan rules fightsport. They are among the top 2 or 3 countries in the world in MMA.

Look at the 2 most competitive division in fightsport, LW and FW.

In LW, they have Mishima, Gomi, Uno, Sudo, Kawajiri who are all in the top 10.

in FW, goddman they have Kid yamamoto, Takaya, Imanari, Kotani, rumina sato and a host of others that just completely dominate the division.

lol. have you guys seen Brazil vs. Japan in vale tudo japan? lol. Brazil lost every fucking fight. It just shows that in the lighter weights, brazil has nothing against japan.

and russia? lol. A few good HWs doesn't make them a good MMA country.

and russia best judo? Japan completely dominates judo from open weight down to the lightest weights. get your facts straight buddy.

You guys need to get your facts straight before making nonsense comments!

"Look at the 2 most competitive division in fightsport, LW and FW.

lol. have you guys seen Brazil vs. Japan in vale tudo japan? lol. Brazil lost every fucking fight. It just shows that in the lighter weights, brazil has nothing against japan. "

Erh... arnt

Vitor Ribeiro and Alexandre Franca Nogueira champions at those weights?

EvilYoshida,

Japan does not "dominate judo from Open to Lightest Weights." 2003 was a great year for Japan, where they held the World Championships on hometurf in Osaka. They won 4 out of 8 mens golds which is amazing. However, in 2001 (the previous Worlds, they are every 2 years) three classes, 73, 100+ and Open were taken by Russia while only 100kg was won by Japan.

2001 was certainly a major defeat for Japanese judo, and as I was in Japan at this time, it was a huge commotion in the Japanese judo hierarchy.

If you look back at the the decade prior (1990's), heavyweight judo was usually dominated by Europe with Douillet, Kubacki, Legien, Nastula, etc. Japan was extremely weak in the mens heavyweight, light heavyweight, and open divisions. Even a few years ago Inoue would train many months of the year in Europe since it was, in his words, the best place for judo in the world.

We will see if 2003 was a change in direction for Japanese judo, and that they will continue to do well. Or whether, and most likely, the 2004 Olympics will bring LHWT and HWT judo back to Europe where they were for the last decade and a half. Smart money is on 100KG going to Japan, and 100+ going to a European country (Sotnikov from Ukraine is my pick).

"Japan does not "dominate judo from Open to Lightest Weights." 2003 was a great year for Japan, where they held the World Championships on hometurf in Osaka. They won 4 out of 8 mens golds which is amazing. However, in 2001 "

well right now they are on top. That's what counts. not 2001.

"Erh... arnt

Vitor Ribeiro and Alexandre Franca Nogueira champions at those weights? "

according to who? Shooto? anybody w/ an ounce of common sense knows that Riberio would have nothing against Gomi and lil nog would have nothing against Kid yamamoto or Takaya.

just because they are ranked 1 by shoot doesn't mean they are the world #1. There are many many fighters outside of shooto that would destroy those two.

Do you think Kondo is the #1 LHW because Pancrase said so? no, because there are other orgs with great fighters as well.

and even if they were #1, the rest of the division is stacked with japaense talent.

Just watch ZST and you'll see people like Imanari and Kotani who have some of the slickest grappling the world.

thanks for the info ricky mma.

The point I was trying to make was that people always seem to overlook japan's status as a mma powerhouse, while mid-level mma countries like Russia get a lot of credit because they have 1 or 2 dominant fighters in HW.

They have some of the most talented fighters in the lighter weight division and have some very good LHWs, MWs as well. yuki kondo, sanae kikuta, Sakuraba, Fujita, Gono, Yoshida etc. are all great fighters that come from the land of the rising sun.

"lol where did he say holland had good mma? he was referring to striking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my bad. Holland is losing ground. If you watch K1 MAX the best talent is hailing from Japan (masato, Kohi) and Australia (zambidis and Parr)

The top Dutch fighter Kraus was schooled by Jada, a kyokushin fighter receently and KOed by Masato.

"well right now they are on top. That's what counts. not 2001."

So the 15 past years of domination by Europe are completely ignored and just because Japan won 4 golds in 2003, you think they're completely on top. 2003 was an aberration. Expect heavyweight to go back to Europe in the Olympics, like it has been for 15 years.

EvilYoshida, I imagine you're Chinese or some sort of Southeast Asian rooting for the Japanese since you think they're similar to you. I suggest you move there, like I did, and realize just how strong anti-Asian sentiment is over there. Maybe then you'll stop nuthugging all the Japanese fighters so blindly.

btw, SUZUKI Keiji,MUNEDA Yasuyuki and Kosei INoue all have a great shot at getting the open weight gold this year.

"thanks for the info ricky mma.
The point I was trying to make was that people always seem to overlook japan's status as a mma powerhouse, while mid-level mma countries like Russia get a lot of credit because they have 1 or 2 dominant fighters in HW.

They have some of the most talented fighters in the lighter weight division and have some very good LHWs, MWs as well. yuki kondo, sanae kikuta, Sakuraba, Fujita, Gono, Yoshida etc. are all great fighters that come from the land of the rising sun."

EvilYoshida,

I hope my last post wasn't and won't be taken in the wrong way.

About the Japanese the in MMA: Actually they're quite good. The main problem is that they desperately try to push guys to fight in the heavier weight-classes which don't belong there. Yoshida should go back to his 1992 competition weight and fight at most 205. AT MOST. Even at 205 he is carrying a lot of extra weight. Same with Sakuraba and Yokoi. The list goes on and on..

I'm not sure how well you know international level judo, but there is a big difference between Japanese judo and European judo. Japanese judo is very technique oriented while European judo is loaded with enormously strong and athletic guys. They are very different types of judo. The more athletic/strong judo is best for MMA. Some of this has to do with Japanese reluctance to weight train, another part has to do with a difficulty of Japanese to put on muscle mass. I trained at quite a few Japanese universities in my dad, and I rarely found guys (I'm talking about the heavyweights) benching over 400 lbs. A lot of my European counterparts were putting up 100 to 200 lbs more. The European judo players are very similar to wrestlers with this emphasis on stregth and conditioning.

"EvilYoshida, I imagine you're Chinese or some sort of Southeast Asian rooting for the Japanese since you think they're similar to you. I suggest you move there, like I did, and realize just how strong anti-Asian sentiment is over there. Maybe then you'll stop nuthugging all the Japanese fighters so blindly. "

lol, se asian? I am very well aware of japan's racist attitudes and they look down on other asians even more than whites. But that is not the fucking point.

The point is that on North American MMA forums, Japanese=tomato can. This point is ridiculous. I wouldn't be saying all this nonsense if there wasn't this bs about japanse win=work

and lol. If you know me on the OG, I'm always clowning the japs for their bs. Go read the fucking thread interracial dating explained or whatever... there I clown the japs so hard your attemtped EvilYoshida character assassination will make no sense at all.

I like japanese fighters simply because they are the most entertaining and charismatic MMAers in the planet. Sakuraba, Sudo, Sakurai, sato.. what OTHER COUNTRY HAS FIGHTERS more exciting?

This has nothing to do w/ race. The japanese do have the most exciting fighters in the business. And since I like MMA because it' entertainment, I naturally will like Japanese fighters.

"btw, SUZUKI Keiji,MUNEDA Yasuyuki and Kosei INoue all have a great shot at getting the open weight gold this year."

EvilYoshida,

There is no Open Weight gold in the Olympics, just the World Championships :)

Anyways, All Japan Champs were held last week and everything is decided. 100kg is Inoue and +100 is Suzuki. Most people expect Japan to do well after the great showing in 2003, but I'm a little more sceptical. Inoue is favorite for -100 but +100 is wide open. A healthy Mikhailin may even upset Inoue, depending on if he moves down to -100 or not.

you make a very good point, however about anti-asian sentiment in Japan. Japanese people have some of the most serious identity issues in the world. They are asian, but they claim to be "honarary whites" and look down on Chinese Korean etc. where their culture came from.

"I would not consider Japan an MMA powerhouse. In fact, with such a huge MMA following in Japan, and such a large pool of fighters in Japan, it's pretty shocking as to what little success Japanese fighter's have had in the large shows. "

maybe if they fought w/ in their weightclass they would have better showings?

Japan has done well recently in MMA. IN bushido, new year's eve, they racked up quite a few wins.

The tomato cans are basically gone and replaced w/ legit top fighters like Gomi, Sakurai, ryo chonan etc.