Fedor's translation not correct

Oddly enough in my small team at work we have two people who are fluent in Russian, and very familiar with the culture and country. They are not MMA fans, but I was showing them some Fedor documentaries and they were quick to point out a couple of interesting points which may not sit well with the average fan, but they are the truth.

Firstly one of them immediately corrected me without having seen any of the footage yet when I described Fedor as Russian. The comment was "Ukraine, someone called called Emelianenko must be from the Ukraine, not Russia" OK, my bad, I knew that but am as guilty as the next of blending Eastern Europe into what was the USSR.

Religion. Its starting to come out in the documentaries and the fact that Fedor has a spiritual adviser who I even think was at strikeforce, but apparenty the interpreters downplay just how much of a religious fundamentalist he is. Apparently references to him being "nothing" when compared to God and the world he created are downplayed.

We all know Fedor is humble, but apparently certain small changes are made at times that downplay this. As an example, the usual question about being the best fighter ever was asked, and his response was "there are so many excellent fighters, any one of them could correctly claim to be the best fighter ever". The translater changed it to "Any one of US could correctly claim to be the greatest fighter ever" A small but significant change which included Fedor in an elite group that his answer chose to exclude himself from. He seems to honestly believe that being KO'ed is inevitible.

Something else that was not so much a translator's mistake but rather a contextual meaning that seemed to be lost a bit is that the belts, championships and organizations are absolutely of no value or meaning to Fedor, in fact the traditions of his home mean more than MMA. He holds athletic endeavor in high regard, but has little interest in MMA beyond that, and as an occupation.

All of this leads me to thinking that we will not see Fedor in the UFC anytime soon and that the co-promotion problems that stalled the last negotiations will not go away. Fedor believes in his friends and his business partners above all else, especially money. If his friends want co-promotion, that is what they will have to get before he fights. Anyone who doubts that needs to look at his comments about people at home watching his fight against Rogers and praying.

If the UFC are truly interested in getting Fedor to fight for them and will not back down from the co-promotion thing, they are going to have to start thinking along the lines of how do they get the broadcast to the Ukraine because that is the type of thing that will be needed.

this makes sense. Fedor has no interest in money no does he have interest in fame. It is the sport he enjoys

TTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

A gentleman in the row in front of me who was part of the crew holding the banners written in Russian keyed me in on the mis-translation while LIVE however he did not provide the correct translation....

Thank you!!!

Amashinga - 

Firstly one of them immediately corrected me without having seen any of the footage yet when I described Fedor as Russian. The comment was "Ukraine, someone called called Emelianenko must be from the Ukraine, not Russia" OK, my bad, I knew that but am as guilty as the next of blending Eastern Europe into what was the USSR.

Someone called called Gracie must be from Scotland.

Anderson is also not black.

Wasa-B - 
Amashinga - 

thing is....

he IS Ukranian so......yeah

Good read... thanks.

I'm fluent (native speaker actually), and there's some truth to this. The bigger mistranslations are from the specials and taped interviews, probably because there's some editorial process that gets involved and Fedor's answers are massaged for content. They often miss whole segments of Fedor's speech. The lady that translated for him during the trip was actually pretty decent. She did a good job of bringing across both the meaning and the phrasing.

You also have to remember that live translation is a very different animal than literary or video translation and is much harder to do accurately. Another key point is that Russian phrasing and grammar are so different from English that it's hard to correctly pass across the meaning without butchering the original language. Not an easy task at all.

Amashinga - Firstly one of them immediately corrected me without having seen any of the footage yet when I described Fedor as Russian. The comment was "Ukraine, someone called called Emelianenko must be from the Ukraine, not Russia" OK, my bad, I knew that but am as guilty as the next of blending Eastern Europe into what was the USSR.

fedor was born in the ukraine but moved to russia when he was 2

he's been there ever since

I would think he is considered russian

also, I remember igor vov, in an old show, say in the introductions that he is a russian fight(and he is from the ukraine)

maybe the ones that were born and lived during the ussr time just consider it all one. who knows

I was born in Ukraine (same city as Igor, and not terribly far from Stari Oskol) and I identify as Russian. the nationalist movement didn't happen till after the collapse of the USSR and most people identified as Russian, unless they are from Western Ukraine (Lviv). Russian was the primary language prior to independance.

If Fedor says that he is Russian then he's Russian. I mean you can argue with him if you want but I'd take his word for it.

dimesnake - this makes sense. Fedor has no interest in money no does he have interest in fame. It is the sport he enjoys
He's just ducking <strike>Tim Sylvia</strike> uh, <strike>Andrei Arlovski</strike>, I mean, the unbeatable Brock Lesnar.

Card -  Good read... thanks.

Lawman - 
Wasa-B - 
Amashinga - 

thing is....

he IS Ukranian so......yeah

The Gracie name IS also Scottish so.................huh?

Machida IS Japanese (half) so........as well.

Kang IS also Korean (half).

Akiyama IS also Korean (full).

THANK YOU for bringing this up. I was going to make a thread about the same thing and decided not to. I am a fluent russian speaker and IMO the woman who translates for Fedor is f'ing AWFUL. I do not understand for the life of me why, A. they cannot find someone without an accent (I do not have one and I am sure plenty of translators don't either) and B. Someone who has even the slightest idea of the fight game in anyway whatsoever. I mean she translated footwork into watching his feet play. Are you kidding me? She gets paid for that garbage. I watch the fights with my girlfriend and everytime Fedor answers a question, btw she doesn't translate into russian very well either, say thats not what he said. After explaining what he did say my girl says wow thats nothing of what she said./rant

I don't know how accurate he was, but Fedor's lawyer seemed like a smooth translator. They needed to get that guy on the mic.

I was wearing my fedor shirt once and my Russian wrestling coach asked about it, i said he was a russian fighter etc, he said "no, hes, ukranian, Fedor is not a Russian name"....funnily enough, my coach is from Kazakhstan, but calls himself Russian.

OP's friend must not have heard of immigration

Thanks!

You get the gist of the comments via translation.

Anyone one takes them word for word to the tee isnt very intelligent considering a translation is a translation. Not always gonna be 100% nor is it even possible sometimes.