few questions for christians

i have questions for christians.(ignore my screenname. i didnt mean to offend any religious people)

1.Although you guys are christians, i assume that not everybody around you(family, friends) that you care and love are christians or has belief in god, right?
so, what do you feel or think when you see people like that? do you feel angry at them(or still love them)? do you feel sorry for them because they will be in hell for eternity? do you try to convince them to believe in god??

2.do you think culture, sociology, genetics ... has nothing to do with who you are? if not, how can u(or god) expect somebody who has no or very little exposure to christianity to believe in god?
where do you think these people will end up?(heaven or hell)

ex)people in north korea who has never even heard of christianity.

-people who grew up as buddhist and all they know is that "there is some kind of religion called christianity"

-or most people who are just not sure.

-a person who want to know the truth, and go to the bookstore to buy the bible. while on his way, he gets in a car accident and killed

• a year old baby who dies

• if you died before you were converted to christianity
  1. if you believe those people above go to hell and tortured, how can you love such god regardless of you believe it is true? for instance, isnt is like -- i put my son(who hasnt met me) in an island and put 3 books in an island. 1 book says im his father and other book says others are his father. he read about all about them and unsure who is his father. he thinks and thinks and one day believes the wrong book is right. I kill him. isnt it kind of like what god is doing? if you didnt like what i did in the example, how can u like god?(again, regardless of whether christian god is true or not). i dont think ive ever seen a person who believes in god but does not like him.

4.would you allow your son, if he wants to be a buddhist or other religions? if you allow him to, do you dont care if your son end up in hell?

sorry for my ignorance. i dont know much about christianity.
and i dont have anything against christians. im just curious
i dont think im either athiest or thiest. i just have no idea.(is there specific word for that?)
honestly, i never understood how somebody could be either athiest or thiest. unless you met god in person how can you be so sure?

You have not offended me at all. I will spend some time with these questions later, they are good questions. I think you may be surprised with some of the answers you will find here. Others, you will not be so surprised with :)

Welcome to the forum, I think you will find people can generally stay pretty civil.

the rev

There is a book by Charles Templeton in which he asks some very similar questions. I'll see if I can find it and post a few of the questions he asks. Templeton was a contemporary and good friend of billy graham. He eventually turned atheist (he calls it agnostic, but he incorrectly defines atheism, as many people often do).

I believe that any good person goes to heaven, Christian or not. I would have no problem whatsoever with either of my kids leaving my faith to join another, or to be an atheist.

Q: Although you guys are christians, i assume that not everybody around you(family, friends) that you care and love are christians or has belief in god, right? so, what do you feel or think when you see people like that? do you feel angry at them(or still love them)? do you feel sorry for them because they will be in hell for eternity? do you try to convince them to believe in god??

A: I believe that souls are immortal and that they have free will. I also believe that the only way to true Joy is communion with God. I believe that men are a fallen race across the board and that the only way back to God is through Jesus and the only way to Jesus is through repentance (i.e. recognizing you are broken or on the wrong track and need fixing or being put back on the right road). I fear that for those who do not know Christ the time may come when their free wills prevent them from ever choosing God and that they may indeed become lost souls.

Now that is a nutshell version of a very complicated answer with some very complicated ideas behind it.  

Q: do you think culture, sociology, genetics ... has nothing to do with who you are? if not, how can u(or god) expect somebody who has no or very little exposure to christianity to believe in god? where do you think these people will end up?(heaven or hell)

A: I think that all of those things have a huge influence on who you are. As far as other cultures who have no exposure to Christianity or even people from culture that do but they personally had none or very little knowledge of Christianity that God will judge them according to what they knew. I think that every person is aware of the Law of Right and Wrong to some degree and that they are convicted by their own consciences. If a person realizes that they don't live up to the standards of morality and sin against their own consciences then they will have a repentant heart. A repentant heart exposed to the truth of Jesus in this life or the next will accept the gift of Grace and the healing that comes with it.

So long story short I do not believe that a person goes to hell because they have never heard of Christianity and there is scripture to back that up.  People who say otherwise are not reading their Bibles and ignoring the glaring fact that God would not become a man and suffer for all men but then get hung up on a technicality.  He is not a cosmic lawyer.

Q: people in north korea who has never even heard of christianity. -people who grew up as buddhist and all they know is that "there is some kind of religion called christianity" -or most people who are just not sure. -a person who want to know the truth, and go to the bookstore to buy the bible. while on his way, he gets in a car accident and killed - a year old baby who dies

A: I think I answered this above. I don't know what happens to babies in particular but I certainly don't think they go to hell. Its not like that. God does not will that any soul will be lost so obviously every effort will be made to save those who can be. It all comes back to repentance but of course a baby can't repent. I don't know of any Christians who believe that babies or young children go to hell.

I think question 3 is answered above.  For number 4 I believe that only a person can choose for themselves to love God and seek him.  There is no way I could make anybody do that by force and God certainly won't do it.  That means that if they choose a different religious belief there isn't anything I can do about it but talk with them.  I don't think taking your own kids to church is bad for them when they are kids, but ultimately they have to make their own choices.

This is very tough to put in a short thread because there are a lot of complex ideas going on here.  If you have specific questions fire away.  

If you want a good book to read which outlines the common beliefs of most Christians from most times and sects of Christianity I would recommend C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity.  It does a great job of explaining Christianity in relation to other religions and why Christianity is about so much more than just being a good person.  In fact, just being a good person really has nothing to do with Christianity at all.

Mere Christianity is a great book

thanks for the replies. i'll try to read that book.

"As far as other cultures who have no exposure to Christianity or even people from culture that do but they personally had none or very little knowledge of Christianity that God will judge them according to what they knew."

so,where do you draw that line? how much exposure is required for a non-believer to go to hell? if i put it in number, do you think there is certain rule like
"3% exposure=not enough evidence so you dont go to hell, 3.1 % exposure= you had enough evidence so you go to hell"or something like that?

also another question.
was there a point in your life where you did not believe in god or had doubts?or started reading the bible to search for truth? what if you died at that point because bomb exploded in your house? do you think you go to hell? if so, do you agree that luck play a big factor in going to heaven or hell??
if CS Lewis was unlucky and died when he was young(when he was athiest) does he go to hell?

"dont believe in god=hell, believe in god=heaven" thing seems to be way too simple and personally does not make sense to me. It's not like you get exposure to bible one day, and next day BAMM you belive in god or something.

seems to me, if christian god was true, and unless he is not lying about it to scare people a little bit,

i think he is either
1.does not understand the complexity of life.
2.extremely unfair for such a serious punishment

"so,where do you draw that line?how much exposure is required for a non-believer to go to hell?if i put it in number,do you think there is certain rule like "3% exposure=not enough evidence so you dont go to hell,3.1% exposure=you had enough evidence so you go to hell"or something like that?"

Only God can answer that.Sorry.

"also another question.was there a point in your life where you did not believe in god or had doubts?or started reading the bible to search for truth?what if you died at that point because bomb exploded in your house?do you think you go to hell?if so,do you agree that luck play a big factor in going to heaven or hell??if CS Lewis was unlucky and died when he was young(when he was athiest) does he go to hell?

Nobody is a born believer.There are some situations in which children come to repentance at a very young age,but this is not all that common.Everybody must come to Christ.This means that we do not "have" Him prior to coming to Him.I personally did not believe in Jesus/Christianity for 25 years and 2 days.

What if I died before I was born again?Is luck involved?This is a difficult answer because it's somewhat of a deeper question about the sovereignity of God.To be brief,it has nothing to do with luck and all to do with God.The point about CS Lewis is not what if he died before he came to believe in Jesus Christ,but that he did come to believe in Jesus.Once again,this is not because of luck,but because of God.†

"It's not like you get exposure to bible one day, and next day  BAMM you belive in god or something."

This was not the case with me personally,but many people have accepted the Word immediately.So yes,some people do hear the Word and "BAMM",they believe on the spot,some the next day,more of us the next year or decade,etc.

Ettishisgod,

If I mailed you a copy of Mere Christianity would you give it a try?  I think you are asking very good and fair questions and I also think that if you read this book it would put Christianity in a clearer light.

The one thing you have to focus on is the one thing you can control, i.e. the ultimate direction your eternal soul is heading.

Hey Ettish

1. I don't get angry or feel sorry for anyone's beliefs. I don't try to convince anyone to believe in God. Most of my friends know I'm a Christain and will start in with me trying to convince me I'm the one that's wrong. People today have enough info at their hands to make their own decisions.

2. I don't know who will end up in heaven or hell, not my decision. I agree with what Fadiga said.

3. Yes, my it's his/her choice.

Sorry if somethin doesn't make sense I've been awake for 18 hours now.