FF draft help/advise(?)

Doing my live draft on Sunday. I've done FF for fun buy this is a $ league and I need some help! It's a 1/ team league with 2qb, 2rb, 2wr, 1te, 1k, 1flex,and def.

I'm curious as to what position order I should draft on or any other advice that would help me build a solid team. Thanks in advance!!!

10 team...

Oh and I'm down to buy a few blue names if I place top 3 in my league (for your help).

1. Pick 2 QB's first. They will be at a premium and will put up the most points on your team. 

2. Pick 2 or 3 RB's next. The RB is really small.. so if you wait too long, there won't be any good ones left. 

3.Pick 2 or 3 WR's next. Wr has a ton of depth to it, but you still want good WR's.

4.Pick 1 TE next. 

5.Pick a Defense. (San Fran, Houston, Baltimore, Chicago, etc)

3. Then go back to WR's to fill up your bench. 

Just give me a vote up.. no blue name necessary. :)

Awesome, thanks a lot! I've read some of your other posts on here and came up with a strategy off of what you've said. Thanks for the help!

I agree going with QBs early, since there aren't many decent QBs to go around, especially with 20 being picked, plus people getting back ups... And 2 QB leagues are the only time I make sure to get a backup QB (well that and when I have Vick as my QB), because if one of your QBs goes down, there's rarely anyone available who can do a decent job filling in for a week or two until your starter gets back.

But besides starting by picking a QB with your first pick, I prefer to go with a best player available approach after that.

You have to be flexible and look at what's going on with the draft. If with your second pick you're able to get a QB like Roethlisberger, or you can also get a TE like Graham, you gotta think twice. Depending on how long until your next pick, you might be able to pick up Graham, then pick up a QB like Flaco or Dalton. By waiting on a QB you probably lose about 30-40 points over the course of the season, but you gain 50-70 points w/Graham over another TE.

I also never pick a kicker until the last pick, and a defense with the second to last pick. Every year someone will pick a defense and everyone goes on a run picking defenses, same with kickers. They're so hard to predict and the difference between a #3 defense or kicker and #12 defense or kicker, usually averages out to about 2 points a game or less. However, the better WR or RB you pick up there by not following the craze and getting a defense or kicker, I feel more than makes up for the missed points. Plus b/c defenses and kickers are so difficult to predict year to year, you have just as good a chance has having a surprise top 5 defense or kicker.

Do some mock drafts, try different drafting positions (early, middle late), and try different drafting strategies, and then see which one consistently gives you the team you're happier with

sicko - I agree going with QBs early, since there aren't many decent QBs to go around, especially with 20 being picked, plus people getting back ups... And 2 QB leagues are the only time I make sure to get a backup QB (well that and when I have Vick as my QB), because if one of your QBs goes down, there's rarely anyone available who can do a decent job filling in for a week or two until your starter gets back.

But besides starting by picking a QB with your first pick, I prefer to go with a best player available approach after that.

You have to be flexible and look at what's going on with the draft. If with your second pick you're able to get a QB like Roethlisberger, or you can also get a TE like Graham, you gotta think twice. Depending on how long until your next pick, you might be able to pick up Graham, then pick up a QB like Flaco or Dalton. By waiting on a QB you probably lose about 30-40 points over the course of the season, but you gain 50-70 points w/Graham over another TE.

I also never pick a kicker until the last pick, and a defense with the second to last pick. Every year someone will pick a defense and everyone goes on a run picking defenses, same with kickers. They're so hard to predict and the difference between a #3 defense or kicker and #12 defense or kicker, usually averages out to about 2 points a game or less. However, the better WR or RB you pick up there by not following the craze and getting a defense or kicker, I feel more than makes up for the missed points. Plus b/c defenses and kickers are so difficult to predict year to year, you have just as good a chance has having a surprise top 5 defense or kicker.

Do some mock drafts, try different drafting positions (early, middle late), and try different drafting strategies, and then see which one consistently gives you the team you're happier with

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help!!! That answered a lot of strategy questions I had.

Here's my team...
QB: C. Newton, P. Manning, C. Palmer

RB: D. Murray, S. Jackson, F. Gore, K. Smith

WR: C. Johnson, L. Fitzgerald, R. Meacham, L. Moore, M. Manningham, R. Moss

TE: J. Tamme, O. Daniels

K: D. Akers

DEF: BAL, DAL

thats a nice ass team! the only thing i dont like is the tight ends but they come a dime a dozen.

Royalt239 - thats a nice ass team! the only thing i dont like is the tight ends but they come a dime a dozen.

Thanks! I think I waited too long to go after a TE. By the time I looked at the board Tamme was the best one left. I hope I can get a trade going or hopefully Tamme gets me some decent production.

EO619 - Here's my team...

First off.. Tamme is a GREAT TE. Manning loves the guy and will make him a top TE in the league. Just wait and see. Truth is not many people know who he is and that is why he lasted so long in your draft. When Dallas Clark went down in 2010 Tamme was a machine for like the 6 games he played. He would have went over 1k yards receiving and 8+ touchdowns if it was a full year. 

This is who I would start. 

Cam Newton & Peyton (I think you start 2 QB's in your league)

RB's Murray & Kevin Smith (Lions are playing the terrible Rams)

WR's Johnson, Fitzgerald

Flex (I'm assuming you can put WR/RB/TE here right?) If so Steven Jackson would be the play here. 

TE Tamme

K Akers

Def Bal

EO619 - 
Royalt239 - thats a nice ass team! the only thing i dont like is the tight ends but they come a dime a dozen.

Thanks! I think I waited too long to go after a TE. By the time I looked at the board Tamme was the best one left. I hope I can get a trade going or hopefully Tamme gets me some decent production.

maybe cook from tennessee is still available on free agents or waivers. He's supposed to have a good year but regardless manning likes his tight ends so you may be off well.

Caleb - 
EO619 - Here's my team...

First off.. Tamme is a GREAT TE. Manning loves the guy and will make him a top TE in the league. Just wait and see. Truth is not many people know who he is and that is why he lasted so long in your draft. When Dallas Clark went down in 2010 Tamme was a machine for like the 6 games he played. He would have went over 1k yards receiving and 8+ touchdowns if it was a full year. 

This is who I would start. 

Cam Newton & Peyton (I think you start 2 QB's in your league)

RB's Murray & Kevin Smith (Lions are playing the terrible Rams)

WR's Johnson, Fitzgerald

Flex (I'm assuming you can put WR/RB/TE here right?) If so Steven Jackson would be the play here. 

TE Tamme

K Akers

Def Bal

i'd swap smith and jackson for rb and flex. stafford spreads the ball around so he smith may have some nice receiving yards. Gore too even at flex and put jackson at rb. Green bay we dont have a great rush defense and gore is always consistent..