Fight Psych: Does Finding Jesus = Losing Ferocity?

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Staff_Editorials_19/article_15240.shtml

Future boxing Hall of Famer Nigel Collins argues that Manny Pacquiao's abandonment of hard living ("drinking, gambling and cockfighting") has made him less ferocious in the ring. It's possible! Scribes raised similar questions when MMA fighters like Rampage Jackson found religion. But we have to be careful that we don't mistake a handful of examples for a significant correlation.

New blog post up on MMATorch.com.

Best,

Alex

intelligence more like it

Nigel Collins, one of boxing's true good guys, was nice enough to read, though he unsurprisingly doesn't think my skepticism is warranted:

https://twitter.com/ESPNFNF/status/277492638826000384

ttt

SonofJockstrap - 

Fedor seemed to stop caring so much and have less of the cold-blooded killer in him after finding Christianity, so there might be a slight corellation. It's hard to want to destroy people when you're suppose to love everybody.

But, for instance, Cassius Clay didn't become less aggressive when he became Muhammad Ali.

Part of the problem in all these cases is disentangling the effect on ferocity of "becoming religious" from things like "aging" and "wear-and-tear."

AWilliams -
SonofJockstrap - 

Fedor seemed to stop caring so much and have less of the cold-blooded killer in him after finding Christianity, so there might be a slight corellation. It's hard to want to destroy people when you're suppose to love everybody.

But, for instance, Cassius Clay didn't become less aggressive when he became Muhammad Ali.

Part of the problem in all these cases is disentangling the effect on ferocity of "becoming religious" from things like "aging" and "wear-and-tear."

In before "religion of peace". Phone Post

Bendo proved this theory wrong last night. That guy has a ferocity to him that just crumbles people.

Periodik - Bendo proved this theory wrong last night. That guy has a ferocity to him that just crumbles people.

I think Bendo has always been who he is though, and hasn't made that transition mid-career... I could be wrong though, don't know him personally.

When someone punches you in the face, hard. You want to hit them back, Christian or not.

Bones is another guy who's open about his faith, yet he doesn't seem to mind decimating his opponents.

Yeah it's probably that and nothing to do with fighting year after year for 15 years or so and aging lol.

Keep reaching you're almost there!

rrg1 - Yeah it's probably that and nothing to do with fighting year after year for 15 years or so and aging lol.

Keep reaching you're almost there!

Actually, rrg1, I agree with you. Even earlier in this thread, I wrote something very similar: