Fighter dies after unregulated mma bout in SD

Fighter dies after unregulated mma bout in SD

/go=news.detail&gid=404905 [rapidcityjournal.com]

A fighter has died a week after falling into a coma following an unregulated MMA bout in South Dakota.

Funeral services are scheduled today for a Sturgis, South Dakota man who died one week after competing in a mixed martial arts competition at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center in Rapid City, SD.

Dustin Jenson, 26, was participating at a RingWars event May 18 when he tapped out -- a signal to end the fight. According to his mother-in-law, Violet Schieman, Jensen then watched the next two fights before going to the locker room area, where he suffered a seizure.

"He laid down to do his stretches, and another fighter heard a moan," Schieman said. "He went over and saw Dustin having a seizure. They called an EMT, which took him to Rapid City Regional Hospital."

Schieman said medical personnel determined that Jenson had increased pressure on his brain and put him in a medically induced coma before surgery was performed to relieve pressure. He was declared dead May 24 and was taken off life support the next day, Schieman said.

"He did not wake up after the surgery and was declared brain dead at 10:23 a.m.," she said. "He remained on life support until his organs were donated."

Jenson, a husband and a father, was participating in only his fifth fight since taking up the sport less than a year ago.

His funeral service is scheduled for 2 p.m. today at First Wesleyan Church in Sturgis. An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday.

Schieman, who was not at the fight, said her daughter, Jenson's wife Rebecca Jenson, and several others told her the violence in the fight was "nothing out of the ordinary."

"Doctors have watched the video and said it shouldn't have happened," Schieman said. "They said the fight may have triggered a brain aneurysm, but it was not overly violent."

Civic center general manager Brian Maliske said Tuesday that he knew that one of the fighters had become ill after tapping out of his fight, but that was the extent of his knowledge of what happened.

Maliske said he was unsure how or if the death would affect the scheduling of future MMA events at the civic center.

"Obviously, if it is connected to the injury here, then we will have to look at and see how it would affect us and what we want to do into the future," he said.

Maliske said this is the first significant incident outside of a broken arm he was aware that occurred at a RingWars event at the civic center.

"We have had to have a couple of people transported to the hospital before, but to my knowledge, we have not had any serious injuries," he said.

Maliske said the event was promoted by Matt DeWolfe, who did not return calls Tuesday seeking comment. RingWars formerly was a regular event at the civic center but has become less frequent in recent years.

"Matt used to be here on a monthly basis several years ago, and right now, he does approximately one to two RingWars events here a year," Maliske said. "This is the first time he has been in in nine or 10 months. The sport itself is not as popular as it used to be."

South Dakota has no governing body to oversee or regulate the sport, unlike other states, according to Josh Usera, the lead MMA trainer at Dynamic Martial Arts in Rapid City.

"In most states there is usually some kind of governing body, like the athletic commission or the boxing commission for that state, and what I understand is its job is to oversee the operations of the event from the ground all the way up," said Usera, who has trained MMA fighters. "Safety of the fighter is the No. 1 concern, so most states that have some kind of governing body require some kind of blood work or something that shows the individual is healthy."

Read entire article...

Very sad. Condolences go out to the family. Phone Post

This was likely a pre-screening problem... if he was properly checked out before the fight he likely would not have been allowed to compete.

And it will probably be described by much of the media as a "brutal violent cage fight" so ignorant people can get angry

Stea1th -  First death of mma? Phone Post

We had one here in SC back in 2010 unfortunately. There was also one I think back in 2007.

If he had a preexisting aneurysm it would be impossible for a prefight physical to pick it up without a CT and I don't know to many states that require one.

I'm glad his family made the most of this tragedy and donated his organs so others could live.

RIP Phone Post

YHTOMIT2001 - 
Stea1th -  First death of mma? Phone Post

We had one here in SC back in 2010 unfortunately. There was also one I think back in 2007.

First one that I remember was in 1998...Doug Dedge died after a fight in the Ukraine.

disbeliever -
MMALOGIC -  This was likely a pre-screening problem... if he was properly checked out before the fight he likely would not have been allowed to compete.

This.

Kinda disagree...I've had 6-7 fights and nothing they checked on me before any of the fights would have indicated anything like this would happen,IMO...of course they were all ammy,but who knows

RIP Phone Post

Very sad - we're all mortals and these things can happen in a sport like this. RIP.

RIP

They CALLED an EMT? Why were EMTs not already there?

RIP.

I wanna say 5th death. Doug Dedge, one in Korea, Sam Vasquez, the one in South Carolina (Kirklam?), and now this one.

Tragic.

RIP

This is sad. I'm not saying this couldn't happpen anywhere and while it doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary happened, it would have been nice to have had a doctor check him before the bout, and be available later when he fell ill.

Very sad! Phone Post

rip

Start the 60 day countdown Phone Post 3.0

Rest in peace. :(

ElTriangulo - And it will probably be described by much of the media as a "brutal violent cage fight" so ignorant people can get angry

Stop sugar coating mma. It's getting another person to a position where you can elbow their face as hard as your can and knee and smash them on the feet too. If you saw that in a world star hip hop vid you would call it a brutal violent street fight so why is it any different cause they're indoors with rounds? It takes incredible skill and dedication at the high levels but it's still brutal violence.

RIP to the fighter and good wishes to his family