Fighter retirement & when the time is ripe.

Let's start an intelligent discussion on fighter retirement! 

Should a declining fighter necessarily retire just because they aren't as good as they used to be?

LET'S HEAR SOME OPINIONS!

My opinion is that it's up to the fighter and his people to decide. There are options to explore before writing off a fighter completely.

What's your opinion?

Here's some food for thought:
http://www.mmalatestnews.com/fighter-retire

I like that article's take on talking heads calling for fighters to retire.

If there's money to be made, make money. Phone Post 3.0

IDOHARM - If there's money to be made, make money. Phone Post 3.0

That's definitely a major factor.

In the end, it's up to the fighter. We see this in all the other pro sports. Guys hanging on too long. It's all some folks know. Phone Post 3.0

RSGTT_SonOfJockstrap - With all of the medical information provided to athletes and fighters today, I think the decision falls on their shoulders. Doctors, friends and family can only say or do so much, and ultimately it's up to the athlete themselves to make the decision on what's best for them and their future. I'm sure if Muhammad Ali had known the last couple fights of his career would cause TBI, he would have made an intelligent decision to step away, or maybe he wouldn't have because he knew he was financially set and would be able to take care of himself for the rest of his life.

I find it somewhat disrespectful when fans call for fighters and athletes to retire because it upsets them to see their heroes lose or not play up to their ability of the past. It's selfish to try and take the decision away from the athlete. Michael Jordan believed he could still compete, so he came back. He was nothing like his old self, yet he was still a top 15 player. Look at Bernard Hopkins, he had a career resurgence late as well. If someone believes they have the ability to do something, no one is going to tell them otherwise, they just have to learn it for themselves. BJ Penn is a prime example of this, he believed he still had it, came back and decided he was not able to keep up.

Excellent post!