Fighters & Depression -FOM article

good article.. i can relate.. although I didn't have the same hardships, I've battled with it (tought to even type the word) for most of my life. Training did help, but as the article pointed out, it can drain energy like nothing else. which makes things very tough. I hate taking meds, they make me feel "high" and not myself. Theres nothing like having that energetic feeling of determination and feeling...normal
I'm still drawn back from seeing a doc regularly... perhaps if I can talk about it here something will arise or I'll just feel better. I think I can on the internet because I don't have to be seen. It's almost comforting to know that I'm not even close to being alone. TTT for anonymity

TTT

wow randy great job article mad me cry..great job hope it helps otehr realize were not alone in our struggles...much love vince

Vince - Thanks again, buddy. The article would not have been nearly as good without your contribution. Thank you, sir. - Randy

TTT

ttt

ttt

TTT

"I haven't done the statistics, but i believe that the % of fighters who were abused while growing up is probably much higher than the national average"

I might have to disagree.

hobbes is correct in many ways but i disagree on the current treatability of clinical depression. id be shocked if the rates were really that high for people who have seeked help, because i know that for me personally ssris and thearapy havent helped. i agree that strenuous physical activity helps a lot, i dont really look at it as self medicating but in your example if you need to reach that point of pain and push it harder and harder than yes thats probably not going to cure anything. for me i know that all it takes is to get a good pump or get in my target hr for awhile about 5-6 days a week to significantly lessen my symptoms. it is true that for some reason the pain and strain associated with bjj and thai boxing etc in a way feels good to me and really helps with my symptoms, maybe there is a link between depressed people and fighting due to a depressed person desire to hurt themselves in someway? i have a friend of mine who is severely depressed but feels no symptoms at all while skateboarding, and tells me he almost likes it when he slams, it makes him feel alive again to some extent.

TTT

ttt

That article comes out as white text on a white background on my Mac using Firefox.

Firefox won't let me post videos on here when I'm on my MAC either.

TTT!

solidsnake - I apologize for the inconvenience. I have made FOM aware of that problem. I also use a Mac. You might consider trying Safari (or another browser) to open the link. - Randy

TTT

TTT

anyone remember when oliver mcall and lennnox lewis boxed the econd time mcall had a breakdown in the ring

The incident was quite memorable and is even mentioned in the article