Fighters just outside of elite or all time great?

There are always debates about who is the GOAT, etc. Some going on now. And some arguments changing based on Andy's PED results.

But it got me thinking and challenging myself to name fighters who have been top level for a long time, but never quite made it as elite or in the discussion for GOAT, even in their own weight class.

I'm thinking guys like:
- Faber
- Cruz (injuries have prevented him from possibly making it to "all time" status)
- Lawler
- Barnett
- Bustamante

Can you give your opinions on some guys you think meet this criteria?

Turd Ferguson Phone Post 3.0

Florian. Always the bridesmaid Phone Post 3.0

Not sure how you can not have Faber on the all-time list. He was an incredibly dominant champion for a long time. It just wasn't in the UFC.

wiggum - Not sure how you can not have Faber on the all-time list. He was an incredibly dominant champion for a long time. It just wasn't in the UFC.
This.
Already is a FW all time great and working on his BW legacy. Phone Post 3.0

GrindOnLine - 
wiggum - Not sure how you can not have Faber on the all-time list. He was an incredibly dominant champion for a long time. It just wasn't in the UFC.
This.

OP here. I agree with you guys and shouldn't have included him. I questioned listing him at the time, but for some reason went ahead with it. Always good to have people disagree without resorting to name calling.

I don't think you can count a guy who was/is a UFC champ as just short of ellite.

/\/\/\ Including Matt Serra? - not ripping him, actually liked his of fighting

Cro Cop was the best guy never to be champ Phone Post 3.0

/\/\/\ Was he awared "champ status" (or whatever is closest) after winning the Pride World Grand Prix Open-Weight tourney in '06? I don't remember. I think he was, but stil get what you're saying.

He beat some real scrubs on the way to that owgp title and the final was against a guy he already beat twice.

He fought Monowa and Yoshida FFS Phone Post 3.0

Thingading - /\/\/\ Including Matt Serra? - not ripping him, actually liked his of fighting

He had an up and down career but his peak (beating GSP brutally) is as good a peak as anyone could have.

Bobby Lupo - He beat some real scrubs on the way to that owgp title and the final was against a guy he already beat twice.

Was just asking if he was given champ status for winning the tourney or not.

Thingading -
GrindOnLine - 
This.

OP here. I agree with you guys and shouldn't have included him. I questioned listing him at the time, but for some reason went ahead with it. Always good to have people disagree without resorting to name calling.
It's all in good spirit!
To answer your question I'll say Bisping is the biggest name that comes to mind who is definitely not an all time great.
He is GOAT gatekeeper though (Bisping fan here) and that's not a bad thing.

What about Randleman or Bas? Phone Post 3.0

Thingading - 
Bobby Lupo - He beat some real scrubs on the way to that owgp title and the final was against a guy he already beat twice.

Yes, I remember giving him champ status.

Florian, Lesnar, Overeem, Okami, Lindland, Maynard, Uno, Edwards, Shields, Sherk, Sonnen, Filho, Babalu, Kondo

stringtheory - Serious answer BJ.

Already considered a legend but with proper commitment could of easily been the GOAT.

Still owned it though.

War BJ! Phone Post 3.0

Only guy to ever be ranked number one in the world in two weight classes at the same time.

Fringe fighter... Phone Post 3.0

Danzis - 
Thingading - 

Yes, I remember giving him champ status.

Yes, he got a big trophy and made a 30 minute speech in Croatian. It was thrilling.

Malvert the Janitor - 
stringtheory - Serious answer BJ.

Already considered a legend but with proper commitment could of easily been the GOAT.

Still owned it though.

War BJ! Phone Post 3.0

Only guy to ever be ranked number one in the world in two weight classes at the same time.

Fringe fighter... Phone Post 3.0

BJ is the strangest case. Almost every big name on his resume beat him.
He screwed the LW division for years. They were trying to hand him the belt and Pulver beat him and Uno drew him, then the UFC scrapped the whole division.
For as big as the Hughes win was, the second loss to GSP negates that. BJ "to the death" quit on his stool.

He does his LW comeback and beats Sherk and a bunch of guys from TUF.

He has the big: Sherk, Gomi and Hughes wins, but the losses to Edgarx3, Diaz, Pulver, GSPx2, Hughes, Rory kind of cancel those out.

He's a one of a kind case.

Tomato Can - Florian, Lesnar, Overeem, Okami, Lindland, Maynard, Uno, Edwards, Shields, Sherk, Sonnen, Filho, Babalu, Kondo

This is a great list. I might add: Arona, Horn, Tanner, Serra (IMO he beat Hughes, BJ and GSP), Mousasi, Arlovski, Hunt