Fighters that Quit/Tap out...your thoughts?

What do you think?

Obviously I'm not talking about BJJ submissions. It's common sense to tap out and fight another day than break a bone/go to sleep and still lose (even though chuck said he'd never tap out).

I'm talking about tapping out from strikes? In boxing if you quit, it's the ultimate dishonour. I can udnerstand it in MMA more though because in boxing you can drop to the canvas and get counted out whereas in MMA you get your head repeatedly punched in. I have no problem with a fighter tapping from strikes

Also, how do you guys feel about fighters quitting on their stools like Penn? (I know his brother stopped the bout, but Penn looked like he was waiting for it).

You know when your beat..nothing honorable in getting a bone broken in your face and delaying chances to come back and fight again. Refs sometimes stare at the beatings while trying to figure if they are out, defending or taking to much damage. only the fighter knows when they are truly in trouble. Self-preservation is not dishonorable.

Hell no! Damn pussy motha fuggers! Would the Gracies tap to an arm bar?? Did Royce tap to Sak? How about to Matt?

beatbum -  Hell no! Damn pussy motha fuggers! Would the Gracies tap to an arm bar?? Did Royce tap to Sak? How about to Matt?

Royce quit against Sak. So, yeah, he kinda did.

I feel like if you have never stepped into the cage then you should STFU about the people who do, basically.

Can't call someone a quitter when you've never even tried to do what they do. They had the courage to get into the cage with an opponent looking to knock them senseless, break their bones and choke them unconscious. I doubt any of us who don't fight are in any position to criticize their courage or heart.

Ask Bo Cantrell. He tapped and never got hit.

Lots of people have 'ways out' in mma fights..

I've seen numerous times when a guy is just giving up, he basically just gives his back up and let's the guy choke him out, so he can tap

DannyOcean - I feel like if you have never stepped into the cage then you should STFU about the people who do, basically.

Can't call someone a quitter when you've never even tried to do what they do. They had the courage to get into the cage with an opponent looking to knock them senseless, break their bones and choke them unconscious. I doubt any of us who don't fight are in any position to criticize their courage or heart.

and I think this is the dumbest shit I've seen, and it gets repeated over and over.

You've never said 'That guy is a shitty doctor'. Or "man this guy cooks shitty food"

just because you don't do something doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on it, and while you sit here accusing this stupid shit, if you claim you've never done it you're a liar

Tapping to strikes is bullshit.... i had a fight where i had the guy mounted and was dropping elbows... the crowd was pretty loud so the ref didn't here him frantically proclaiming "enough! i'm done!" i had to tell the ref that he quit... was dissapointing for me and the crowd...

Heartbroken Lee - If you have fought and have been in that position and never tapped out - then you have the right to criticise. Until then STFU.

WRONG.

"The bears suck this year, they can't make a fucking touchdown or complete a pass"

"if you've never played football STFU"

Dumb dumb dumb

I don't expect guys to die in the ring for me. So tapping out is A-Okay! lol Besides, though I "fight" Judo competitions, it's not the same thing at all. Until I would step up and at least fight ammy MMA, there's no way I could feel right about criticizing a pro fighter who is putting themselves on the line in the highest level of compeition there is. A Kalib Starnes type performance not withstanding.

story97 - 
Heartbroken Lee - If you have fought and have been in that position and never tapped out - then you have the right to criticise. Until then STFU.

WRONG.

"The bears suck this year, they can't make a fucking touchdown or complete a pass"

"if you've never played football STFU"

Dumb dumb dumb

Not analogous. "Forrest's Windmilling punches are terrible." =/= "Forrest is a pussy for giving up." See the difference?

Yes, an educated fan (in football or MMA) can often recognize and apprecaite good technique (and also it's opposite). And hence, can sometimes intelligently critique it. But attacking someone's character ("Tapping to strikes is a bitch move!") is a different thing altogether. And in those cases, one who doesn't know what it takes to NOT tap to strikes, should STFU.

I used to say the same thing "I'll never tap"  then as i had my back taken and watched the ceiling as the darkness rolled in from the sides a thought popped in my head "I'm not getting paid to do this, and I've got nothing to prove to these people" tap tap tap

i just had a fight this last weekend, where the first round could have been called either way, maybe even in his favor. round 2 definately he won, and the third, i guess i was on my way to win, so he would have won the fight, but he couldnt hang due to a stand up flurry i brought with 30 SECONDS LEFT IN THE FINAL ROUND. and he threw his hands up and quit. i mean i guess im happy about it, because i had the heart and endurance to go all the way balls out, and it won me the fight, plain and simple. i was mounted at the end of the second round, and i heard the 10 second warning and i gave the ref a thumbs up, grabbed an over hook and went the distance...... ive never been in the situation to tap from a sub, i wouldnt let my arm or leg break so i would tap there. passing out is different, i would have a harder time tapping from a choke. but i would never tap from strikes, especially verbally on my feet..... just my 2 cents, its a different philosophy for everyone though

Yes, an educated fan (in football or MMA) can often recognize and apprecaite good technique (and also it's opposite). And hence, can sometimes intelligently critique it. But attacking someone's character ("Tapping to strikes is a bitch move!") is a different thing altogether. And in those cases, one who doesn't know what it takes to NOT tap to strikes, should STFU.

We could use a few more posts like this one on this board. Common sense and respect, too many people have lost both when they post here.

Well said Judowned!

but just to say, me not tapping from strikes, my face is pretty lumpy and fucked up right now, but at least i got the win, and that is really, really, really all i care about

I think it depends if your stuck.

Most times I think tapping from strikes is actually tapping from exahustion, which I don't really like.  In a rare few cases, guys will get trapped in a bad position, get dazed, and really have no way to get out.  In that case, I think tapping is ok.

story97 - 
DannyOcean - I feel like if you have never stepped into the cage then you should STFU about the people who do, basically.

and I think this is the dumbest shit I've seen, and it gets repeated over and over.

You've never said 'That guy is a shitty doctor'. Or "man this guy cooks shitty food"

just because you don't do something doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on it, and while you sit here accusing this stupid shit, if you claim you've never done it you're a liar

You're remarkably dumb if you can't understand the difference between intelligent criticism and fighter-bashing hate.

Let me give you a really, really, obvious example because I know your brain hurts when you think too hard.

Ok: "Ricky Williams has terrible technique when he catches passes"

Not Ok: "Ricky Williams is retarded/a little bitch/a quitter for dropping that ball when the linebacker hit him"

Unless you've been hit by an NFL linebacker while trying to catch a pass, you have no place to call him a little bitch. And unless you've been in the cage, you have no place to call someone who taps from strikes a quitter.

does it take a bigger man to a) get the shit beat out or b) realize he lost.

If you're beaten, tap. There is zero sense in sustaining damage for no other reason than the amusement of the audience...what is this, ancient Rome?

If you've lost, you've lost. Admit it, give the other guy his due, and go back to the drawing board. Nobody benefits from a fighter's brain being pounded into goo.