Fighters "Union"......?

Will an MMA-Fighters "Union" ever be formed or does the Boxing Commision not allow it?

Would a "Union" be the answer to making the best fights happen? Would it be possible considering the Internationality of the Sport?

Has this been discussed before?

I think the timing would be right considering the popularity of MMA now.

ttt

If fighters unionize the UFC would have to accept it, legally they cannot keep their contract fighters from joining a union.

Hojak - The WAMMA is the first attempt I've seen, on a large scale, at such a thing.

Other than that..... with the big dog (Zuffa) seemingly insistant on running MMA as a solo entity and all, I don't think it's gonna happen.

WAMMA's not even close to a fighter's union.

What fighters need are worker unions along the lines of they have in most pro sports, like baseball and football. NFLPA and the MLBPA are the examples to follow.

Drewout - If fighters unionize the UFC would have to accept it, legally they cannot keep their contract fighters from joining a union.

Correct.

Unions are as corrupt as the people they are supposed to "protect" you from.

Dojosensei - Unions are as corrupt as the people they are supposed to "protect" you from.

Not in any of the sports they are not.   No one opts out of the players associations in any of the sports--and they are all free to do so. 

Same with SAG.  You are hard pressed to find any members who will speak ill of SAG.  In fact, membership in SAG is seen as an accomplishment and badge of honor by many.

Yeah, WAMMA is nothing in the way of a fighter's union as best as I can tell

Dojosensei - Unions are as corrupt as the people they are supposed to "protect" you from.

As far as "Big-Sports" Unions....................Name a player who's opted out.

I don't know if a union would ever work out in MMA. But I would like to see medical ins required especially for fighters under contract.

Rufus: You make a good point. A lot of people (especially in the U.S.) hear the word "union" and think of it as a bad thing. It's too bad really as if it weren't for unions, there wouldn't be a 40 hour regular work week nor would there be any vacation time.

I think that a fighter's union is a fantastic idea that should have been implemented years ago. As has been pointed out, every major sport has a player's union.

It's true that unions can become corrupt, but at least the executive can be voted out of office. You can't vote out an unfair employer.

The good working conditions we all have are thanks to unions. Management doesn't care about the worker as a person and never will. History has shown us that management needs to be forced into being fair.

The free market isn't a solution in this case as corporations are constantly getting bailouts from the government as well as favourable legislation. The best company doesn't always succeed because established corporations have a vested interest in keeping the status quo.

Boxing has been around a long time with no union.

Boxing is also ridiculously corrupt. Ask any former champion.

I think a union doesn't work in boxing because their is no one single major organization/promotion to deal with and negotiate with. Unions work in major sports because their is one major organization that pretty much all competitors strive to compete in (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL).

I think an MMA fighters union could possibly work if the UFC continues to develop a dominate strangle hold as the only viable long term option for fighters.

'As far as "Big-Sports" Unions....................Name a player who's opted out."

Barry Bonds, not that it matters, the kind of union used for team sports makes no sense for individual sports like MMA.

GladiatorGannon - Boxing has been around a long time with no union.

As corrupt as anything there is.

However, boxers as athletes overshadow all organizations and make a bunch more money. Whereas in MMA the organization has become more popular than the fights they promote.

As far as "Unions" in general...................I'm a Union Local 725 member and we are the best paid, best trained, safest and most well represented in the indusrty. Unions are a good thing and Republicans are against them.

smac 2.0 - 'As far as "Big-Sports" Unions....................Name a player who's opted out."

Barry Bonds, not that it matters, the kind of union used for team sports makes no sense for individual sports like MMA.

OK...........Bonds.............but he was already a kagillionaire.

But it would make sense when organizations dwarf fighters in income potential. Fighters end up having to throw fights to get out of contracts. You also have the "Lesnar's" getting overpaid and instant title shots. It's all about paying your dues and being rewarded accordingly.

JDOKLR - 
GladiatorGannon - Boxing has been around a long time with no union.

As corrupt as anything there is.

However, boxers as athletes overshadow all organizations and make a bunch more money. Whereas in MMA the organization has become more popular than the fights they promote.

As far as "Unions" in general...................I'm a Union Local 725 member and we are the best paid, best trained, safest and most well represented in the indusrty. Unions are a good thing and Republicans are against them.

I never understood why people would join a union... doesn't that mean someone else negotiates your pay for you? No thanx, I'll value myself instead of letting someone else do it.

smac 2.0:

Negotiating together as a unit gets better results. It prevents managemens from playing workers against each other. In addition, not every worker is a good negotiator. Being part of a union means you have more expertise to rely on.

Rufus is a fool. 

Fools talk, and even gloat, when they have no knowledge of which they speak. 

In secret, Rufus, I will take glee in your public idiocy.   Of course that's foolish, because as far as I can tell, you are just an anonymous imbecile. 

My name is Rob Maysey. 

As you were told before, an Association is nothing like a union, not legally, not actually.  But of course, you will be here to correct me. 

Of course you knew, didn't you Rufus, that to be a "union" you must be employed, yes?  Who is the employer in MMA?