Fighters "Union"......?

Bonds did opt out--and that was largely because he was moving towards the home run record, and thought he would do much better on his own. 

He did not, by the way. 

Outside of Bonds, I can't think of a current player who opted out.

Fletch F Fletch - 

WAMMA's not even close to a fighter's union.

What fighters need are worker unions along the lines of they have in most pro sports, like baseball and football. NFLPA and the MLBPA are the examples to follow.
WAMMA is attempting to form an association itself, though they call it an "Alliance."  

What is it that WAMMA is really trying to do?  Establish a brand, WAMMA, to enrich the members.  Who are the members of WAMMA?  The 4 public faces you see, and approximately "50 angel investors".  

It isn't a union, and it certainly isn't for fighters.  

I'll post the second half of an article, hopefully tonight (I'll try).  Take a peak Rufus--may give you clues.  

there's been need for an mma fighters union for a while

It'll be the same as the old WWF wrestlers trying to form a union.

The UFC will crush it in its earliest stages before it gains once ounce of real power.
And the top guys making the big money that Dana White considers his friends, they will justify to themselves and others why a union just isn't necessary - effectively helping the UFC to kill it.

Fun fact:
One of the reasons Jesse Ventura despises Hulk Hogan was because the Hulkster let Vince know that Jesse was secretly trying to organise the wrestlers and present Vince with a union.

As long as we're talking about wrestling, the wolfpack/klique (Nash, Hall, Michaels, Waltman) all shared information regarding their contracts and payouts. The net result of this little union of wrestlers was that they all got paid better (i.e. "Hey, what did get from the last PPV? Really? I didn't get that much. I'm gonna give Vince a call.").

The top guys stuck together and Vince had no choice but to share the wealth more equitably amongst them.

Nash has a couple of great interviews regarding the matter on youtube.

I knew Gannon would be on this.  He owns these union threads..

pattitude - As long as we're talking about wrestling, the wolfpack/klique (Nash, Hall, Michaels, Waltman) all shared information regarding their contracts and payouts. The net result of this little union of wrestlers was that they all got paid better (i.e. "Hey, what did get from the last PPV? Really? I didn't get that much. I'm gonna give Vince a call.").

The top guys stuck together and Vince had no choice but to share the wealth more equitably amongst them.

Nash has a couple of great interviews regarding the matter on youtube.

I wouldn't call them a union though. That was the 2 top guys at the time (HBK and Nash) making sure they got the big money, and their friends were taken care of.
They didn't give a shit about anyone else.

"union" , "association"......Whatever.

The point is to make fighters larger than the promotions and not have promotions own fighters. Collectively they can arbitrate much higher pay-outs & control who gets title shots. No more Kimbo's and Swockner's.

The fact that becoming one of the "recognized" names in the sport takes more than just full-time dedication. It now requires an entire "staff" or small corporation to get fighters to that level. The money has to be there. Not only for todays fighters but for the future Handy's, Hendo's and Silva's.

Being White's buddy just does'nt cut it.

Woudn't you trust the Association of Boxing Commissioners (ABC) to safeguard the interests and rankings of fighters JDOKLR? 

I mean, the commissioners are TOTALLY indpendent afterall, and this would not be "government", it would be a "private" association!  Nevermind the fact that the commissioners are state employees (for the most part) and political appointees.   

JDOKLR - 
smac 2.0 - 'As far as "Big-Sports" Unions....................Name a player who's opted out."

Barry Bonds, not that it matters, the kind of union used for team sports makes no sense for individual sports like MMA.

OK...........Bonds.............but he was already a kagillionaire.

But it would make sense when organizations dwarf fighters in income potential. Fighters end up having to throw fights to get out of contracts. You also have the "Lesnar's" getting overpaid and instant title shots. It's all about paying your dues and being rewarded accordingly.

This is retarded. 'Paying your dues' is a retard union concept designed to lock out people who aren't currently in the union.

Lesnar could beat a top 15 fighter in his 3rd fight and he can draw more than anyone else in the UFC can. Which means he isn't overpaid. If anything, he's very, very underpaid. Just because someone is new doesn't mean they dont deserve the value they create. Guess what? Lesnar is worth more to the UFC than big nog, and will always be paid more. This is because he CREATES MORE REVENUE. Fighters don't deserve to be paid just for being veterans unless they also help the company produce revenue.

'paying your dues and being rewarded accordingly' is the sort of retard union drivel that has destroyed several industries in america. The idea there is to just stick around a company and not get fired and youll make money whether you a worth a damn or not. You can't fire anyone with any experience in unionized industries. GM and Ford pay massive amounts of money to people to not work but they can't lay them off because of unions. The pension plans are ridiculously massive and embody the idea of 'being rewarded' for 'paying your dues'. Who cares if they are dragging the company into the cellar (Ford) with plans they can't afford? They PAID THEIR DUES! Therefore they deserve money!

DannyOcean--you bring up industry, but why not limit your discussion to sports and entertainment.

What sport has it destroyed?  Where are the legions of players opting out? 

How about SAG?  Why don't they all just walk. 

Thousands would willingly do the job for free--they'd even cut your throat for the chance.  

ttt

Macedawgg -  Woudn't you trust the Association of Boxing Commissioners (ABC) to safeguard the interests and rankings of fighters JDOKLR? 

I mean, the commissioners are TOTALLY indpendent afterall, and this would not be "government", it would be a "private" association!  Nevermind the fact that the commissioners are state employees (for the most part) and political appointees.   

Sarcasm duly noted!

That would be some shit...wouldn't it?

Some shit indeed. . . indeed.

A fighters "Association" could bring about an independant MMA Commision free of the medievil Boxing Commission and it's archaic administration of it's own MMA rules and regulations.

It would take justa few well-off big names to just fuckin hold off on contract agreements and think of the big picture. It would take less than a year. Dana would shat his panties.

I think Randy and Fedor could get this done by themselves. Think of the possible ratings. $1million purses would be peanuts in 2 years. 

If I were Zuffa, and I wanted to ward off the evil villians in Washington who want to impose things like disclosure and prohibitions against conflicts of interest, I might even do the following: 

1.  Recognize and support a "private" reguatory body comprised of state regulators;

2.  Establish a rules making process;

3.  Establish an "industry" committee;

4.  Establish a "fighter's advisory" board;

5.  Recognize an official "records keeper";

6.  Ensure compliance with our rules by only counting as an official stat those fights which occur under our association's jurisdiction;

7.  I'd even go one step further, and bring in rankings--compiled by the records keeper--why not? 

8.  Name a "Commissioner' of this private regulatory group. 

Doesn't that have all the dressings of a "league"? 

Why would the top fighters join a union?

NorthFromHere - Why would the top fighters join a union?

Because it would benefit them most--same as all the other sports.  Same as in acting.  Most don't know that--but look into it, its a fact.  The vast majority of concessions obtained by the sports unions benefit the top earners. 

That said, MMA has a major defect, and I don't think union is the way to go. 

ttt for later

Macedawgg - If I were Zuffa, and I wanted to ward off the evil villians in Washington who want to impose things like disclosure and prohibitions against conflicts of interest, I might even do the following: 

1.  Recognize and support a "private" reguatory body comprised of state regulators;

2.  Establish a rules making process;

3.  Establish an "industry" committee;

4.  Establish a "fighter's advisory" board;

5.  Recognize an official "records keeper";

6.  Ensure compliance with our rules by only counting as an official stat those fights which occur under our association's jurisdiction;

7.  I'd even go one step further, and bring in rankings--compiled by the records keeper--why not? 

8.  Name a "Commissioner' of this private regulatory group. 

Doesn't that have all the dressings of a "league"? 
Yes...............To everything.

It makes so much sense there should be a race to see who gets this started first. The fighters or the UFC or another organization.

Macedawg................What is this "major defect" you mention? I can't assume one because there are too many.