Fighting in the NHL

I think it is necessary. The league has to protect its stars and the new rules they are trying so desperately (and horribly) to enforce are not working. Before the players had their own unwritten set of rules that were followed or there were consequences. I know there probably have been many threads about this before, but it has to be said again and again until the league changes its instigator rule. I am an Avs fan, and yes Peter Forsberg is a competitor, but he is the target of an aweful lot of bullshit from other players due to his talent. They should let guys like Chris McCallister, Peter Worrell, and Jim Cummins go after and protect him. Not to mention Paul Kariya, Joe Sakic, Hejduk, Tanguay, and Selanne. The leagues scoring is down partly because of boring defensive systems, and also I believe due to the stick work of players on the leagues stars. I say let the players sort out their own problems within the game, then market that to the public, not WWE style, but in a manner where they can see that this game isn't for pussies and if you get caught with your head down or do something cheap you will get caught.

Dracul

"I am an Avs fan, and yes Peter Forsberg is a competitor, but he is the target of an aweful lot of bullshit from other players due to his talent."

He brings it upon himself by the way he plays. And when it really gets going, he runs like a pussy. Now Kariya on the otherhand is a perfect example of what you were trying to say.

You are 100% correct though about everything except for the part on forsberg.

Forsberg is a competitor. I am talking about all the cheap stuff he puts up with before he gets pissed. You'd run too if you were the best player in the league, the Avs do not pay him to fight, hence my point about the team protecting its stars. I see how Forsberg can be looked at as cheap, but watch what the punishment he takes prior to him going off. I love him on our team, I'd hate him on another team.

Dracul

Whether I was the best player in the league or the worst I'd still be throwing down when push comes to shove instead of running like a coward. He gets alot a shit because he starts stuff he cant finish. Rarely does someone do something cheap to forsberg without him doing something to them or a teammate first unless it is carryover from a past game.