Fighting Pistol DVD

This is my newest video release. It seemed like it would fit here on the weapons forum.

Tactical Response Fighting Pistol DVD set!

FINALLY a DVD training system that trains the brain before the body!

The root word to "gunfight" isn't "gun". It is "FIGHT"!

This is the DVD adaptation of the most comprehensive handgun course in the world that everyone is talking about! Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol course prepares you to prevail in a real world violent confrontation and now this DVD captures the Mindset, Tactics, and Legal lectures that Tactical Response has become famous for and it takes you for a one-on-one range session with James Yeager. This intensive DVD covers an incredible amount of material so watch it with a note pad!

Topics include the role and attributes of the handgun, Mindset, Tactics, legal aspects of deadly force, anatomical stopping power, and mental conditioning for combat. Live fire drills include both one- and two-handed shooting, shooting on the move, use of cover and concealment, tactical-emergency-and speed loading, using both eye level and retention techniques, at a variety of ranges and from a variety of tactical body positions.

This DVD is only for serious practitioners and is HEAVY with lecture on mindset, tactics, skill, and legal issues so if you are looking for another "shoot 'em up" DVD set that doesn't address the REAL issues than this one is not for you. There is range time in this set but it mostly concentrates on the mental aspects of fighting.

Length: Three DVDs and 4.5 hours of instruction plus a bonus CDRom with extras like our "dot target" and our Fighting Pistol handout.

Click here to watch the trailer!

Click here to order the Fighting Pistol DVD

Train with James Yeager and Tactical Response if you ever get the chance. Highly recommended!

Haven't seen the DVD yet but I'm sure it covers much of the same material from the Fighting Pistol course and that would be worth the money.

Thanks JockDoc. Have you taken our Fighting Pistol course?

Yes, I took it last month. Great stuff! James and I actually talked about you. I asked him if his outfit did any hand-to-hand and your name obviously came up. One of these days I'd like to come out to train with you guys again.

jock -

i know i'm gonna come off sounding like a dick, and yes, he looks fairly impressive on the dvd -

but yeager re-loads totally wrong -

notice he re-loads down around his sternum area and looks down.

he should bring the weapon up to his eye line so he never taked his eyes off potential threats

another thing he should do (although i'm guilty of this too) is he should have his had on his mag as soon as he runs dry -

the guys who taught me (3 of the 4 team gunsite shooters...gunsite range masters) told me to count - so i know when i'm gonna run dry -

Having actually been to Gunsite a few times, I CHALLENGE you to name the Gunsite cadre that told you to count your rounds.

On a bullseye range it is fairly easy to count your rounds. In the real world, under stress, you will not be able to. Anyone who thinks they can is a disillusioned idiot.

As far as Yeager reloading wrong well, IMHO, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Gunsite preaches Weaver, I shoot modern-iso, some people fire 2 shots COM and then reevaluate the threat, I shoot 4, some people do a tactical reload with both mags in one hand, I do mine different.

Paul Howe, Kelly McCann and "SouthNarc" make more sense to me than anyone but I would happily recommend Yeager's class to any of my friends.

Ok douche -

It was Steve Slauson. You can Google him.

Not only did he tell me to count rounds, but he would know how many rounds I shot - and if I didnt change mag's, and shot until dry, he made me do push-up's (he is a retired Sgt. Maj.)

Steve has been in live fire fights longer then you've been alive - He operated w/delta - was under-cover with DEA - went to 3 wars, head of field operation for titan for the middle east

Steve Hendricks (another gunsite range master and team gunsite member) would disagree about shooting dry

Slauson said always change mags if there was any break in the action - Hendricks said he always shoots till dry

the third member of the team i shot with is Mike hughes

The three of them (along with a fourth member i dont know) won several of the solider of fortune shoot out compitions

the word i have is if you went to gunsite anytime after cooper sold it, there is a good chance you trained with un-qual. people

just to prove that point, the better shooter, guys who really knew what they were doing, created a compition for all gunsite instructors to see who was the best (really to show the guys who sucked, just how much they sucked) - only one guy who sucked showed - they ended up likeing the guy, so they spent a bunch of time teaching him -

I suppose next you're going to tell me it's a good thing to change mag's down around your waist andtake your eyes off target

or better yet, when the dude is in the class room and he tells the class "this is how you re-load" (actually he's showing how to change a mag.) and he is pointing the muzzle at the celling, like fucking charlie's angels

Yea, thats how you should change a mag.

BBBWWAAAAAhh

look, the guy seems fairly good - he'd probally beat me in a gun fight - and small clips sometimes dont tell the whole dvd's story -

there might be some good stuff on there

but the things i mentioned, shooting and taking too long to change mags, and the way he is changing mags is off for tactical shooting -

note i say tatical, because i've seem Rob Lathem (sp?) do some fucked up mag exchanges, but he's faster then fuck and it works for him -

he's got speed, power, acuracy, so i dont think he'd lose too many gun fights, but he doesnt do it by the book either

BTW -

NONE of my guys told me to shoot weaver - each taught me, and told me to shoot ISO -

out of the 3, only Mike shot weaver, I had him teach me it, and i use a modified weaver because it helps me to stop chicken winging

grant i have never been to gunsite itself - i only took privates with these 3 (between 2 and 4 hours a week for around a solid year straight)

Since we are talking "whom's"

who are you and how many (and where), have you been in fire fights that you KNOW you cant count shots?

Douche huh?

"the word i have is if you went to gunsite anytime after cooper sold it, there is a good chance you trained with un-qual. people"

The list of unqualified people that taught me at Gunsite includes, Randy Cain, Louis Awerbuck, Pat Rogers and Bill Jeans.

Add to that training I received from Jeff Gonzales, Scotty Reitz, Paul Howe, Pat Goodale and Mark Fricke plus a host of guys you have never heard of.

I'm just a lowly Game Warden. I have been in one shooting, the details of which are none of your business.

It really is important though because you have contradicted yourself and re-enforced what I said.

Work calls now but I could not find google shit on Steve Slauson...and I will finish this later.

ahhh

I always mis-spell his last name like the stret in L.A.

SLAWSON

google with this

"steve slawson firearms"

this one should be of note to you

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IAV/is_4_93/ai_n6362171/pg_4

Author's Note: Even though I take full responsibility for the TPRRRS acronym, I cannot lay claim to having come up with the actual steps on my own. I am indebted to a number of great civilian firearm trainers including, but not limited to, Clint Smith, Louis Awerbuck, Pat Rogers, Giles Stock, and Steve Slawson for opening my eyes to the fact that there are better ways to do things.

shit, as a game warden you should know steve - he serves as the main instructor to the department of the interior

and yes, Douche for "i CHALLENGE YOU"

contradict myself?

i think not - i said two of my instructor differ on whether or not to shoot until dry thats all - it has nothing to do with him taking a little long on the mag change -

you have still to comment on the way he changes mag's

i didnt even care to comment on his non-standard responce - i'll give him the bennifit of the doubt -
and assume he was teach some non-standard response drill

if you actually trained under some of the people you claim, you would know not to empty the weapon the way he is - you keep shooting until there is no longer a threat - 25 to the chest is over kill he'll be out of ammo before he encounters all the bad guys -

I don't have much time now but I'll address a few points. I haven't gone back to watch the clip but I can assure you that James doesn't advocate a low reload with your eyes down. He taught me to keep the gun high and keep my eyes on my target/adversaries and NOT on my gun. So this is a moot point. Anyone would agree that it is poor form to look down when you're in a gunfight.

So where are you suggesting he should point the muzzle when reloading? With the gun within your line of vision and performing a tactical reload (with or without retention) do you disagree that it should be pointing upward? Regardless of what you are seeing on a short clip, I promise James can reload with the best of them and isn't going to teach a slow, cumbersome method.

I agree with riddlin that believing you'll be able to count your rounds while under duress is absolutely naive and potentially dangerous. I believe that if you are actively engaged you should be shooting as long as you have to while moving to seek cover. Regardless of your round "count" you should perform a tactical reload with retention when you are under cover and temporarily out of the fight.

You are making ridiculous assumptions from a few minute clip of a 3 hour DVD. You aren't going to see him go into any detail in that clip so don't assume you know the methods he'll be teaching.

Okay went back and watched the trailer and you are obviously just trying to pick at something as an opportunity to interject your opinion.

As for the 2 sec clip of him reloading... the gun was in a neutral position at eye level. Where exactly do you propose it be? Held even higher at an awkward and unnatural position? At that level it allows him to have both his weapon and his adversaries in view at the same time and affords shorter distance back to a fighting position. Why travel further than you have to? Speed is economy of motion.

Dude you're just looking for an argument and you've got none here. If you wanna take it up with James then he is very easy to find. He loves to hear from people like you with an opinion about him.

jock -

i already stated that it isnt fair to judge based on a few seconds, etc.

however, my points still stand -

when re-loading, you bring the gun in towards you, half way between position 4 and 5 of the mag well should be in your direct line of sight, and even though you slight cant your wrist so you can see the mag well, the muzzle is still pointed down range, basically on taget

my problem with the first re-load @ 12 seconds in is that fact that

A: he takes his eyes off target; his head and eye's are pointing down. The weapon is chest level instead of eye level

B: the mussle is pointing straight in the air - if you watch the clip slowly, you will notice jim viloently shaking his wrist back and forth a few time to help extract the mag. this is because his gun is in the wrong posiition and gravity cant do it's job - the mag is getting hung up in the well because it isnt falling to the ground due to gravity

@31 seconds in it's even lower and his muuzzle is pointing to his left, then he moves his hand around, trhen back on target

as far as your statement about where he is holding the gun, where should it be held - well, it kind sounds like you know what you're talking about, but not what he is showing

I advocate what i was taught - eye line, not chest line

what about in the class room, not the on the range -

with the muzzle in the air like that, he looks like he's a real rootin', tootin' cowboy

WTF is up with holding the gun, muzzle towards the ceiling, and changing mag's?

lol @ not being able to count rounds -

WTF do you think a standard responce is, or a mozambique(sp?) drill is?

2 to the body, 1 to the head -

guess you dont count so it is impossible to do a 2 to the body and 1 to the head response

how can a jammed round clear that way?

serious question -

in most instances, on a malfunction - it's tap, rack, roll, bang -

1. the muzzle is still on target, slap the bottom of the mag to make sure it is seated

2. rack the slide as you roll your wrist over so the ejection port facing the ground

3. roll wrist back,

4. fire

if that doesnt work (like a double feed) -

strip the the mag, run the slide 3 times, insert a new mag.

I'd love to see someone in a real gun battle count how many rounds they are firing while being shot at and under a high stress situation. Whether the gun runs dry or not, an effective mag change will keep you in the fight without worrying about how many rounds you've fired.

If you practice changing mags like you're supposed too, there's no need to worry about how many rounds you fired. If you run dry, you should be seeking cover anyway before reloading if at all possible.

i'm telling you what one of the acknowledge best gun fighter/instructor's in the world told me.

but being the OG, I guess you know better

he was always on my ass for not knowing how many rounds i fired.

you sir, are an idiot - my statement was to have a better awareness of when to do a mag change reguarless of the fact of how fast you do it