Fightmetric Noons / Couture

How did Noons not win again???

No one?

Last name.

It's sometimes hard to tell as a judge what lands and what doesn't. Output and effort works. Those stats don't really show control and other factors. Lots of times they are right but that fight was rather close. Not as lopsided as results as I would need to be swayed. Phone Post

I don't think anybody on this planet (other than those 2 judges) thought that Couture won this fight tonight. I was very disappointed in Noons' attitude throughout the fight though. It was as if he thought it was an insult to be in the ring with Couture. I thought it was very unprofessional and hopefully this loss motivates him to perform his best in MMA. Unfortunately, I think he will use this as a reason to leave it and live in boxing mediocrity. Too bad really.

Is OP really using a round where Fightmetric has Noons landing ONE more strike as "omg how did he not win the fight??"?

Obviously the judges don't have these stats in front of him and aren't counting strikes anyway. 

Fightmetric is not unbiased. Someone had to compile those Fightmetric stats and he who does so gets to judge what are significant strikes and what are not.

AndrewJitsu - 

It's sometimes hard to tell as a judge what lands and what doesn't. Output and effort works. Those stats don't really show control and other factors. Lots of times they are right but that fight was rather close. Not as lopsided as results as I would need to be swayed. Phone Post

This.

I thought Noons won but wasn't outraged as many where. It was close. Two rounds could have gone either way.

orcus - 

Is OP really using a round where Fightmetric has Noons landing ONE more strike as "omg how did he not win the fight??"?

Obviously the judges don't have these stats in front of him and aren't counting strikes anyway. 

Learn to read....

There is NOT a round where fight metric has him landing only one more strike.

Not only did i think Ryan won, mmajunkie also thought Ryan won. Phone Post

This just underscores the problems with the scoring system in MMA.  

I gave Noons rounds 2 and 3.  Rounds 1 and 3 were close, but 2 was totally lopsided.  If you were to just judge to fight as a whole, it's obvious Noons won.

Wait so he outlanded him by 1 strike in the 3rd and you highlight it.. But don't highlight that Couture won the first under their criteria?
Basically the 3rd could have gone either way and Noons kind of gave it away Phone Post

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 

Not only did i think Ryan won, mmajunkie also thought Ryan won. Phone Post

HOw do you feel he won? (fuck mmajunkie)

Which rounds, for what reasons? Trying to get a genuine discussion going here.

GriffinQ - Wait so he outlanded him by 1 strike in the 3rd and you highlight it.. But don't highlight that Couture won the first under their criteria?
Basically the 3rd could have gone either way and Noons kind of gave it away Phone Post

Excuse me, 1 significant strike. What were the other two, those pawing jabs that he pushed out that were literally at like 10% power and just range finders ? Phone Post

Fightmetric is pretty useless most of the time in a sport like MMA

up until recently a "power" shot just meant a cross, not a measure of power. Also, significant is a relative term. Some guys only need one shot to end it, others can throw full power and not knock out my grandma.

Also take into account, wrestling and jiu jitsu and control. A guy could win a fight with out a single punch thrown.

It can be a useful tool, but to say that so and so wins because he threw 8 more strikes is silly.

GriffinQ - 
GriffinQ - Wait so he outlanded him by 1 strike in the 3rd and you highlight it.. But don't highlight that Couture won the first under their criteria?

Excuse me, 1 significant strike. What were the other two, those pawing jabs that he pushed out that were literally at like 10% power and just range finders ? Phone Post

You can't brag about Couture winning the first round by 3 strikes,

but mock the idea of Noons winning the 3rd by 3 strikes.

Its either enough to win the round or it isn't.

mmabmt - Fightmetric is pretty useless most of the time in a sport like MMA

up until recently a "power" shot just meant a cross, not a measure of power. Also, significant is a relative term. Some guys only need one shot to end it, others can throw full power and not knock out my grandma.

Also take into account, wrestling and jiu jitsu and control. A guy could win a fight with out a single punch thrown.

It can be a useful tool, but to say that so and so wins because he threw 8 more strikes is silly.

The fight happened on the feet. Couture went 0 - 3 in TD's....

I agree there is more than the numbers, but in a fight that takes place on the feet, IMO it tells the story.

Sherdoggystyle - Fightmetric is not unbiased. Someone had to compile those Fightmetric stats and he who does so gets to judge what are significant strikes and what are not.

I don't have an opinion on this fight, but this is a good point regardless. Phone Post

12SixElbow -
GriffinQ - 

You can't brag about Couture winning the first round by 3 strikes,

but mock the idea of Noons winning the 3rd by 3 strikes.

Its either enough to win the round or it isn't.

I'm not "bragging" about it. I'm pointing out the fact that you highlighted one but not the other. It shows your bias Phone Post