Figueiredo wants two fights that aren't there

19-1 UFC flyweight champion Deiveson Figueiredo won the title in devastating fashion vs. Joseph Benavidez in the main event of UFC on ESPN+ 30 at Fight Island on Saturday night. Or more accurately Sunday morning. At the post-fight press conference, "Deus Da Guerra" discussed what he wants next. UFC president Dana White wants Deiveson Figueiredo to defend his flyweight belt twice before considering a superfight, but the champ isn't so sure.

“I’d like to have a fight at 135, you know?” said Figueiredo said. “I’d like to be the guy to bring Cejudo back from retirement. I think he was looking for a worthy opponent, and I’m that guy. I’d love to move up and be able to fight him at 135.”

Cejudo is only MMA retired and is calling out fighters at a frantic pace, so it's not impossible. The other name Figueiredo mentioned is less likely - ONE Flyweight World Grand Prix Champion and inaugural UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson.

“That’s definitely a fight that all the fans would wanna see, me against Demetrious Johnson,” said Figueiredo. “If the UFC wants to bring him back, I’m gonna be very happy, and I’m gonna knock him out with a lot of pride. Very happy to do that.”

“Now that I have the belt, I have to train very hard. I’m the guy that everyone wants to beat, so I’m the guy that everyone’s looking at.”

The question remains though, UG, who should/will God of War fight next?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sxk5xySuGc&feature=emb_title

h/t Guilherme Cruz for MMA Fighting

It was pretty clear last night Figueiredo was fighting a weight higher than Joe. Guy has no business fighting at 125 lbs.

1 Like
chilz -

It was pretty clear last night Figueiredo was fighting a weight higher than Joe. Guy has no business fighting at 125 lbs.

What an absolute retarded thing to say. If the guy can make the weight, then he belongs there. Joe got his ass beat, you'll get over it.

7 Likes

He needs to clean out the division first. These champs at 125 always want to fight the champ at 135 which is part of why this division struggles. He should defend the title at least two/three times and them maybe fight up. Hopefully the UFC starts to sign more quality 125 pounders.

4 Likes
KhabibWinsTheRematch - 
chilz -

What an absolute retarded thing to say. If the guy can make the weight, then he belongs there. Joe got his ass beat, you'll get over it.

Not saying I agree with chilz, but saying “If a guy can make the weight, then he belongs there” is absolutely the true retarded sentence in that exchange.

Being able to hit a target weight on a scale the day before while dehydrated and barely alive does not mean you belong there.

I don’t know Figaweirdo at all, and have no idea how easily he makes the weight. Generally speaking though, your statement is completely idiotic.

2 Likes
KhabibWinsTheRematch -
chilz -

Just so we're clear I had no interest in who won or lost last night. I have may misspoke saying he had no business fighting at 125 but the previous fight wasn't the first he missed weight at 125 iirc. He's pretty damn big for that weight >

Lurker99 -
KhabibWinsTheRematch - 
chilz -

Not saying I agree with chilz, but saying “If a guy can make the weight, then he belongs there” is absolutely the true retarded sentence in that exchange.

Being able to hit a target weight on a scale the day before while dehydrated and barely alive does not mean you belong there.

I don’t know Figaweirdo at all, and have no idea how easily he makes the weight. Generally speaking though, your statement is completely idiotic.

Your point is valid and also he has missed weight so clearly it’s somewhat of an issue for him. 

chilz -
KhabibWinsTheRematch -
chilz -

Just so we're clear I had no interest in who won or lost last night. I have may misspoke saying he had no business fighting at 125 but the previous fight wasn't the first he missed weight at 125 iirc. He's pretty damn big for that weight >

I heard yesterday it actually was the only time he missed. Someone will have to fact check that though because I thought the same thing. If it was the only time, which I’m going off of, I give everybody a mulligan. Multiple time offenders are a different story. 

He is Awesome, made weight, kicked ass.

I’m a Fan!

2 Likes
Lurker99 -
KhabibWinsTheRematch - 
chilz -

So how else do you determine who belongs in which division?

2 Likes
JoeHurley - 
Lurker99 -
KhabibWinsTheRematch - 
chilz -

I don’t determine that. I believe that is a decision that should be made by each camp. A fighter should know how far he can push his body, and a trainer should know when his fighter is pushing too far. I would hope they would all make the correct choices.

Obviously, this isn’t always the case though. In the interest of safety, I can see an eventual situation where ACs require fighters to not lose a certain % of weight within a certain timeframe, but I am nowhere near educated enough to spit out numbers.

Lurker99 -
JoeHurley - 
Lurker99 -
KhabibWinsTheRematch - 
chilz -

I don’t determine that. I believe that is a decision that should be made by each camp. A fighter should know how far he can push his body, and a trainer should know when his fighter is pushing too far. I would hope they would all make the correct choices.

Obviously, this isn’t always the case though. In the interest of safety, I can see an eventual situation where ACs require fighters to not lose a certain % of weight within a certain timeframe, but I am nowhere near educated enough to spit out numbers.

So you're just talking out your ass then, I mean I already knew that but glad you're owning up to it.

2 Likes
KhabibWinsTheRematch - 
Lurker99 -
JoeHurley - 
Lurker99 -
KhabibWinsTheRematch - 
chilz -

So you're just talking out your ass then, I mean I already knew that but glad you're owning up to it.

Yea, I don’t pretend to be things I’m not. But in the end, it doesn’t take a doctor or a scientist to determine that your statement was fucking retarded. If you can’t see that extreme weight cutting can be problematic you are a fucking idiot, whether you own it or not.

Only two ppl I wanna see him fight at this time. At 125. Maybe Horo too.

Do an ESPN main event vs Alex Perez

Comain: Askarov v Moreno 2 for next contender.

If Figuredo gets thru those 2 contenders, throw the champ a bone.

Apparently u dip shits fail to realize most of these guys are cutting to make weight, now u want to cry because shit midget Joe Benavidez got the fuck beat out of him and was choked unconscious. Joe sucks the dude should be fighting 115 he just got out and smashed before crying like a little bitch because he never has and never will be a champion. He's just not good enough. Make all the excuses u want for Joe, the rest of us just like seeing his midget ass take a beating. 

KhabibWinsTheRematch -
chilz -

It's funny how people forget about this fact when it  comes to Jon Jones and haters calling him a heavyweight.

If a guy misses weight once most would give him a pass. On short notice fights give the fighters a pass. When your like Gelsium and also miss weight at the higher weight its an issue. Also missing more than once is a no no. Dana usually [rightly so] makes guys move up that cant reliably make weight. To me Figeroa didn't look much bigger than Benavidez. Benavidez actually looked more drained to me.

Sub