Final Authority on Earth

Christians, what is the final authority on earth for you?

The bible?

Your conscience?

Your pastor?

Without some objective measure, how can you say what's right belief and wrong belief?

"God"

I knew someone would say that...

alright, comedian ... how does God communicate this truth to you? What...does he come to you like George Burns and tell you the inside scoop? You're standing with arms folded in supreme self confidence, while standing on a blank sheet of paper.

By "objective measure", I'm refering to an external source or standard which any two people can look to and say, "Here's why I believe X to be true."

Perhaps individual experience suffices for you...but individual experience alone would then be corroberating evidence for every crackpot idea out there - hardly a solid foundation for ultimate reality.

...course, then again, with your "God" response, it probably does suffice for you.

The bible which then leads me to a personal relationship w/the big Guy. So the Word is my final authority. The living breathing and written Word that is.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Heb 4:13 And there is no creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and laid open before the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Joh 5:39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life. And they are the ones witnessing of Me,

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

My pastor is pretty influential, but even he mustn't start contradicting scripture.

My conscience is also influential, but I don't totally trust that either.

My wife.

God is the final authority, His word shows people how to have a relationship with him, and in my opinion and experience, be able to experience him outside of that word. And for me, if it wasn't for the bible, I don't know that I could have a spiritual relationship with God, because I probably wouldn't have been able to implement the things God wanted, since i wouldn't have known about them. Being that I am able to follow the bible and see how other people have experienced God, the sacrifices they made, ando how God interacted with them, I am more able to see his interaction with me and those around me.

my 02. I think Gods spirit really does tell the believer what is right and what is wrong, but it wouldn't ever contradict scripture. so both things. trust the spirit you have, and trust the word.

God is my final authority.

but to clearify that and give a more indepth answer.

first and most important guide given to me by God is the Bible. secondly i rely heavely on the leadings of the Spirit and my own consious.(sp?) through prayer and fasting if needed. secondily i look to the spiritual leaders in my life, father (who is the pastor of my church) the elders in our church. other family members, brother and brother-in-law both pastors.

but everything comes back to scripture

The Spirit of God, usually through the scriptures, or his church, sometimes through direct revelation.

the rev

Joe Ray...

everyone is their final authority for thier actual choices. but no one is their final authority on why they make the choices and what is right and wrong.

everyone of us has a reason for why we believe something is right or wrong.

what this question is asking is what is the reasoning behind what you believe is right and wrong.

Liars! Deep down you all know it is your significant other. LOL. Ignore me once again. I just woke up, and the coffee is just starting to flow. Therefore, I am not my effervescent self quite yet.

Matt Furey is the final authority on Catch according to his add.

Is it possible that silence is being mistaken for God?

Serious question.

silence mistaken for God????

Rastus, i finally put together something to post{ie our conversation last night lol}
You are right, we in leadership roles within the church do have a very very serious job. There are people's lives depending on what advice we give them. The rev is so correct in what he said. i hope the advice i give to people comes from my interp. of what the Bible..mostly the Gospels say to me. I often say I try to live my life by jesus's words.."This is my commandment, that you love one another". I try to take what Christ said and says literaly. It is possible to do so, even though as we discussed last night he almost always spoke in metaphors lol. I pray that what i tell them is true. I usually pray and meditate on it before I tell them.

yours in Christ

sherm

kempowrestler:

Yes.

Ausgepicht, can you explain that a little further?

The final authority for me is Jesus Christ working thru his vicar the Pope.

(OHHH, the Catholic brought up the Pope, he can't think for himself, he thinks the Pope is Christ, he worships the Pope, OOOOOOHHHHH.....) Just getting the untrue knee-jerk reactions out of the way.

Bmac...mmmhhh you forgot the most important knee jerk reaction...

Is the POPE ever wrong????

Yes, he said the Cubs would face the Yanks in the World Series.

that guy in the stands must have been the devil then huh?

Bmac if he is ever wrong..how can he be the final authority??? or established truth?

samething goes for anyone who says they are the final authority!