Finally watched the movie Get Out.

So I finally saw the movie Get Out. It’s playing on HBO. I’d wanted to see it because it got lots of praise and hype. Even the OG seemed to like it overall.

My thoughts.

Really ? This movie was average like a C rating at best. It wasn’t scary or suspenseful at all. The main character was a good actor. His best friend was pretty funny. His GFs character was good till the end. The movie got stupid but she was a pretty good actress and nice to look at.

Ok spoilers below.

The movie stole or borrowed many ideas and plots from other movies. This wasn’t original.
It seemed kinda anti white. The movie was really anti white lol silly subtle shit. A guest at the party asking the white girl friend “is it true ? Are they better”. Looking at the black guy all sexual. Even the old white guys are sexually attracted to the chocolate brother. Every white character was evil
And corny. From the white state patrol guy to everyone ol boy met.

A few scenes were intense but imo they could of done it much better. I don’t see how people thought it was a groundbreaking movie.

Overrated for sure. Decent watch.

It was worth watching but nothing worthy of all the hype surrounding it.

I thought it was just ok and horror is my favorite genre. They played the race card at the oscars there’s no doubt about that.

Not bad for a directorial debut imo.

the end was MEH

The first time I watched it, I thought it was really good. When I went on huge horror movie bender, I watched it again, it didn't hold up well imo. Especially for the praise it got.

I thought it was going to suck after reading all of the negative reviews here on the OG.

I found it to be very entertaining.

The OG is like the Critic on the old cartoon The Critic with Jon Lovitz. They hate everything anyone else likes.

Get Out was a fine movie. One of the best suspense movies of the last couple of years.

dangerboy12 - I thought it was going to suck after reading all of the negative reviews here on the OG.

The OG is like the Critic on the old cartoon The Critic with Jon Lovitz. They hate everything anyone else likes.

Get Out was a fine movie. One of the best suspense movies of the last couple of years.

Iiiiiiiit STINKS!

I liked it a lot.

triggertap - 

I thought it was just ok and horror is my favorite genre. They played the race card at the oscars there’s no doubt about that.

Same

I love horror movies or mystery movies.

The Ritual on Netflix is a pretty good horror movie. Idk if the OG recommended it but I think it’s 2x better than get out.

Starry eyes. Is another one that flew under the radar. Creepy and entertaining horror movie. It was almost a 80s throw back feel to it. Again I enjoyed it way more than Get out.

The invitation. Another creepy / suspenseful movie. Way better than get out imo.

The above 3 didn’t get much attention. None of them are classics but entertaining imo
I could name another 10 movies that came out in the last 4 years that were better than Get out

It was not an original plot it is one that’s been done many times they just made it more about race. 

greatest documentary I've ever seen!

dangerboy12 - I thought it was going to suck after reading all of the negative reviews here on the OG.

I agree with the first part but the movie was average. 

dmercer - 

It really is the most overrated movie ever. I was thinking it was a lot better from all the great reviews. Was some where in the middle...not bad but not great. Just watchable

Pretty much.

It had potential and a few tweaks it could of been a good movie.
It was ok and maybe my expectations were high

Did you log into my Amazon account and order it? Cause I got an email at 4 a.m. asking me how I would rate my purchase of Get Out and Thor Ragnarok and I didn't purchase either.

Its The Stepford Wives with black people.

rhino x2 -
triggertap - 

Same

I love horror movies or mystery movies.

The Ritual on Netflix is a pretty good horror movie. Idk if the OG recommended it but I think it’s 2x better than get out.

Starry eyes. Is another one that flew under the radar. Creepy and entertaining horror movie. It was almost a 80s throw back feel to it. Again I enjoyed it way more than Get out.

The invitation. Another creepy / suspenseful movie. Way better than get out imo.

The above 3 didn’t get much attention. None of them are classics but entertaining imo
I could name another 10 movies that came out in the last 4 years that were better than Get out

Agreed there are far better recent horror movies that didn’t get anywhere near the recognition.

Nothing special but watchable. 

Grossly overrated. I agree with the OP that the lead did a better than average job with his role, but everything else was middling to poorly done. That it got a best picture nom. is bugnuts. 

MarcusAurelioFan - 

Its The Stepford Wives with black people.

This was my first thought. A modern remake of Stepford wives / and a twilight zone episode.
A few other movies aswell. Kind of like invasion of the body snatchers ? Maybe ? It’s been done many times before. Even that tv series wayward pines had a similar vibe.
Usually it’s aliens not “white people”.

If they would of pushed an occult or illumanati or secret witchcraft society angle. It would of been cool . If his friend would of rescued him or assisted in him getting free more believable.

The movie was way predictable. 1/2 way thru the movie I was like this dude is gonna outsmart them all and go gangster on everybody. 30 minutes later bingo.

Again not a horrible or bad movie but average at best.