First Crossfit Workout

So I did my first Crossfit workout. At a "real" Crossfit training place. After all the talk here, rock climbing.com, and several other places - and the fact that several of my buddies from the USMC currently do it.

I was pretty much neutral on the whole ideal, from the organization to the training methodology.

There are things I agree with - like defining fitness in a broader sense than most other organizations do.

Things I am ambivalent on - dead hang versus kipping pull ups.

Things I disagree with - I think OL lifts are a shoulder accident waiting to happen for most people.

The workout (for us) was 4 sets of 15 wall balls, 4 X 15 of slam ball I guess they call it (slamming the non bouncing little ball) and 4 X 15 box jumps. Obviously for time.

It definitely kicked my ass, though bearable, it crushed my wife, lol. Only my abs were sore, though my wife actually limped for a day or two she was so sore.

The CF instructor and his wife were fantastic - helpful, polite, knowledgeable and very enthusiastic. He gave my wife a good bit more attention than me, which was exactly what I wanted.

Unfortunately I had been fighting off a flu that was going around my office and after that workout, and the next day of hard climbing in the gym - the flu won.

So in short I have zero complaints about the experience.

CrossFit is working to bring back REAL fitness, and get people's minds
out of the bodybuilding mindset...

Honestly, most people are not ready for it, for that simple fact alone.

You can spend 15 minutes explaining to a guy how we do
FUNCTIONAL, FULL-BODY MOVEMENTS, designed to increase work
capacity, that it's perfect for fighters, and go over mathematical
formulas for Power Output, etc.

The whole time he'll be going, "Yeah, cool, I get it! That's awesome!"

And then, he'll say something like, "And I bet training that way really
defines your obliques, too!"

And you realize he's effing clueless.

At my gym, I don't MAKE anyone do kipping pullups. I can explain the
logic behind them, I can demonstrate them, I can take you to a
gymnastics school and show you little girls that can kip their way up
onto a parallel uneven bar all afternoon long, when you can't do it
ONCE...

But when it comes time to do a workout, do whatever you want. If there
are other CrossFit gyms that handle it differently, I don't know about it.

We haven't had anybody hurt from O-lifting. The reality is that, by the
time you can O-lift any appreciable weight, you will have built your
technique to a decent level. Nobody MUSCLES their way through Cleans
and Snatches and gets anywhere doing it. The average d1ckhead at the
gym is lifting more weight with far less technique than most people
use to practice their O-lifts.

Glad you had a good experience, thus far. If you're ever in the L.A.
area, look us up.

www.valleycrossfit.com

Man, I like crossfit, but real fitness never went anywhere. I despise bodybuilding, but it isn't the problem. The problem is fast food and physical inactivity.

damn i wish there was a crossfit near me :(

(un)fortunately theres the WOD haha

no point, davegriffith. what for the motivation factor? The thing about crossfit is that you can do it anywhere

you can do crossfit alone, but there's nothing quite like RACING your
friends through a workout to really push you...

if you haven't experienced that side of crossfit yet, you're missing out!

no point, davegriffith. what for the motivation factor?

not sure what you mean...but i was just sayin theres no crossfit gym near me, ill do 1 or 2 of the WOD's a week on my own in the garage. just wish i knew more people near me willing to do the same workouts

People are so misinformed. Just because a workout "kicksyourass" doesn't mean it is good for you. Any exercise can be made to feel tough. But is it working toward your goal?

I also say, anyone who praises an istructor for making them puke should find another instructor/trainer. If I have to explain why, then you are wasting time training.

"I also say, anyone who praises an istructor for making them puke should find another instructor/trainer. If I have to explain why, then you are wasting time training".

Some people give everything they have on workouts, are you also saying you should not do that?

I guess I am wasting my time because I often come close or puke doing most intense workouts that I create for myself. Take a look at Gymjones.com, but you probably disagree with his methods also.

I think that if you want to be a true all around stud, then a good portion of your workouts should be pushing the envelope.

Just my $.02.

Not to mention some people are just more prone to puking than others, and certain exercises are more puke-provoking than others, so it's not really a good measure of intensity level.

Well you guys keep puking thinking that's good for you and I will keep my nutrients in me so I can keep building / feeding my muscle.

Funny how I get stronger and in better shape every year, yet never puke. Odd.

"I think that if you want to be a true all around stud, then a good portion of your workouts should be pushing the envelope."

^^Words of Wisdom.

Funny how I get stronger and in better shape every year, yet never puke. Odd.

Funny how thousands, probably millions, of people have endured training that has either made them puke, or feel like puking, and they are considered phenomenal athletes.

Let's see...mixed martial artists, marathon runners, long distance cyclists, wrestlers, special forces soldiers...I'm sure the list can go on.

You just keep on "keeping nutrients in your body" and getting in so much better shape year after year (and I expect a post on how you defy the aging process soon) and we'll just keep being "misinformed".

SCRAP

p.s. Where did anyone say that an instructor making you puke was a good thing? I'd like to hear your answer before I get into that subject.

Keep your "nutrients" while others are willing to push the limits.

" I don't think people would continue doing CrossFit if it wasn't working toward their goals"

How can a WOD work for everyone when everyone is different? The WOD is general....not athlete specific.

The WOD's have never claimed to be "sport specific", but the overall fitness enhancement that is obtained as a result of that training definitely has an impact on your chosen sport.

SCRAPPER is correct.

^^aye aye

Crossfit does not advocate working out til you puke. You're supposed to stop before that, obviously. However, the intensity of crossfit workouts are vital to any true athlete.