First impressions on law school

This is somewhat in response to the Orishas' thread.

Well, I am in the middle of my first semester 1L exams. I came to law with a Poli Sci degree, and no idea what I wanted to do with my life, let alone any desire to be a lawyer. I just figured that moving in A direction was better than standing still and trying to pick what direction to head. So I defaulted to law school. And I've seen many posts here that in cases like this you should absolutely not go to law school....

Well, I really like it. It's a lot of work. It's not hard, I find studying for exams to be excessive compared to what I'm used to, but it's interesting and I actually feel like I'm learning a skill here.

The colleagues are challenging, and there's definitely the 'work hard play hard' mentality.

Sure, the days can get a little long sometimes, but I'm glad I chose to come. I still don't know if I want to be a lawyer, but I figure even if I dont this will have been worthwhile.

Just my 2 cents

Wait until your first semester grades come back before you say it is not hard.

what bflex said.

what law school?

Not really sure how it's 100's of thousands of debt, and it certainly pays itself out in the end.

There's just a lot to know bflex, as opposed to the what you having to know being hard to learn. I consider those different.

"(how did you pass the logic games on the lsat?)"

... I did pretty well on the LSAT, and don't really see how I wasn't logical simply because my opinions differ from yours...

Well, I suppose you probably know better than I do, assuming you've finished law school and are out in the real world. Wishful thinking on my part I guess

Yes, I know all about your disdain and cynicism regarding both law school and other people EricM, so don't worry about posting here. Thanks

"making 6 figures in a state with no income tax."

Yeah, but we make up for it with our high sales tax, overpriced gas and expensive housing! :)

"I actually feel like I'm learning a skill here."

Well, don't let anybody tell you that what you learn in law school isn't important, it is.

However, your first time in court, if you don't have somebody to coach you, you will not feel skilled at all. You won't know where to stand, you won't know how the judge likes to be addressed. If it is motion calendar, people are looking at you like "hurry the fuck up already!" All the brilliant legal arguments in your head go out the window, right when you get your grove going, the Judge says "I've heard enough." You will feel skilless and clueless.

Heh, sounds great, can't wait

My advice regarding law shcool is this...

1) Have FUN! -Drink and party. Get your work done... but don't overdo it. Once you get out and start working you will likely long for the student life which you pissed away trying in vain to "master" the rule against perpatuities and the Rule in Shelley's Case and other such bullshit.

2) Don't get too worked up over your grades. Nobody asks what your grades were after your first job. Some guy in my class damn near successful killed himself, all because he was not in the top 10% after the first grades came out. Your performance in law school is not an idication of your performance as a lawyer, whether your grades are good or bad... keep that in mind.

3) Fuck all the chicks you can. Seriously. Poke even the so-so ones. You will deeply regret NOT fucking them later.

4) Minimize your debt. Student loans are a pain in the ass for many many years.

5) MAKE social acquaintences with as many students as possible, your class, above, and below. Some social relationships can/will help you out after law school in many different ways. Expand your social network there and you will have the ability to call a future judge or professor or CEO or "Partner" on the phone and instantly have an audience with them.

goku is correct.

i have 2 friends who just changed firms - one as a 6th year, one as a partner. they both left top level nyc firms to move to other top level nyc firms. and both were required to provide law school transcripts prior to being hired. grades do matter, and will for years to come.

Gaby, I'm really surprised your friend, the partner, had to provide grades to the new firm. I would think at that level, they would only care about the book of business and contacts he/she brings in.

you'd think, wouldn't you?

I guess I stand corrected on the grades thing, that is of course if you plan on being used up by a large firm of stiffs.

I still stand by my advice. However, I suppose the advice should be tempered by your own goals. Regardless, 3,4, and 5 are sound recommendations regardless of professional goals.

"i have 2 friends who just changed firms - one as a 6th year, one as a partner. they both left top level nyc firms to move to other top level nyc firms. and both were required to provide law school transcripts prior to being hired. grades do matter, and will for years to come."

I've never heard of that but some firms are weird. I would definitely guess that is the exception though. Most old lawyers have told me they never had to show grades after the first job. Maybe they just wanted a transcript to have a transcript and not to see the grades? If you have a 2.0 but are a very successful partner I just don't see any rational person giving a shit what your grades were 6-10 years ago. There are irrational people out there of course.

"I guess I stand corrected on the grades thing, that is of course if you plan on being used up by a large firm of stiffs."

My impression is that federal agencies greatly value good grades, to the point of hiring top students from mediocre schools over mediocre students from top schools.

And a lot of the more interesting non-profit jobs, like the Sierra Club or whatever, will require excellent grades, journal membership and extracurriculars that show you're passionate about the area. Basically, the big firm credentials plus true believer status.

Everybody values good grades except the State Attorney and Public Defender. No offense to my fellow brethren Cookie Monster and Shaz. Two exceptions to the rule.

I agree with everything that CM had to say.

I also agree with everything that CM had to say except that where he's
talking about poking the wimmenfolk, I would say "DEEPLY regret"
instead of just "deeply regret."