First the bees, then us?

Lots of sites are reporting that bees are disappearing, something like 40-60% in the US, with similar numbers in Europe. Many reports include a supposed quote from Albert Einstein - if the bees disappear, man would have only four years of life left.
This is of interest to 2012 folk, because if all the bees disappeared in late 2008, that would match Einstein's prophecy with that of the ancient Mayans,Egyptians.

What do you think about this?

bees are far from the only polinator, just the most well known.

yes but they are hugely significant polinator.

Its not good , even a monkeu has the sense not to crap in his home. I guess we are dumb monkeys

Bees are an important part of the ecosystem for us.  Not really because of their pollination skillz but because honey is so delicious.  I think people tend to overemphasize the importance of a single species or even class in relation to the overall grand scheme.  If the bees get wiped out yeah there will be a period of adjustment, especially to my recipe book.  But that will really just leave a nice large niche for another pollinator to come along and fill.  I guess Einstein was using the bees as a metaphor for good stewardship?  In any case, the loss of species is bad from our perspective of wanting to keep everything the way it presently is.  But extinction isn't a bad thing.  No extinction means stagnation. 

I agree with one persons view,from a report i read,"Where's the dead bodies?"

there disapearing,not dying.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Not only are the livelihoods of beekeepers endangered, Hayes said, but so is the estimated one-third of the nation's food supply that depends upon honeybee pollination - apples, almonds, melons, blueberries and some varieties of citrus, including grapefruit."

"Honey is a byproduct of pollination," he said. "It's wonderful and it's great, but more importantly, without honeybees taking pollen from one flower to another, that plant has no reason to build a fruit or a nut."

Pollinator loss is a serious problem and is not restricted to bees. This is something we certainly need to tackle soon through initiatives like strict enforcement of no insecticide spraying at crop flowering time, planting of crop margins with pollinator beneficial species, planting of pollination corridors etc. Loss of pollinators is not something to be unconcerned or nonchalant about: it could have serious implications for world agriculture in the long term. To brush this off as a non-issue is negligent.