First time brisket

Nytron -

Salt and pepper only with brisket.

You gonna texas crutch?

What temp you aiming for, 203?

Don't forget to FTC (foil, towel, cooler) afterwards.

Butcher paper once I get the color I like. Following all the other steps too! 

namrepus -
slumdog -

first time doing a brisket. I’ll be throwing it on my RecTec Bull and hoping for the best! Wish me luck 

Got a RecTec on order. Can’t wait for it to arrive. Post pics of the after cook. Good luck

You will absolutely love it! 

EFM -
Black Dougie -
NiteProwleR -

Dont overthink it. If you look it dont cook

trim that nasty huck around the middle. Itll double your stall.

Yeah - i have started cutting out as much of the hard deckle fat between the point and flat as possible.  I try to get the point to lay as flat as possible.

Also OP - if you are gonna rub that nice-looking brisket and let it sit overnight, make sure there is no salt in the rub.  

The best brisket I've cooked so far I hardly trimmed at all.  I cut out a good chunk of the deckle but not all of it.

I'm convinced the actual brisket you get is 90% of the fight.

Yeah - i get all my briskets from the same place (and same grade), but some are just a freaking headache.  I don't mind having to do a bunch of trimming on the fat cap, etc, but the way they are wrapped, most times you can't really get a good grasp of the size and quality of the point.  

In

and lol at prime. The purpose of cooking a brisket is to make something good out of what usually would be ground into hamburger or chunked into chili. 

in yall. 

broil king keg. I drink i smoke.

I'm in for pictures and hopefully to see what a rec tec is without googling

Love bbq/smoker threads!

Last few I've done I've just stick to brisket point since it's just me that eats them

slumdog -
Nytron -

Salt and pepper only with brisket.

You gonna texas crutch?

What temp you aiming for, 203?

Don't forget to FTC (foil, towel, cooler) afterwards.

Butcher paper once I get the color I like. Following all the other steps too! 

you actually want peach paper.  it's unbleached and unwaxed.  i use parchment when i have nothing else.  used to be hard to find, but now amazon carries it.

https://www.amazon.com/APPROVED-Briskets-Wrapping-Unbleached-Uncoated/dp/B07ZPFQ6PN/ref=asc_df_B07ZPFQ6PN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416636253337&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17050816476740747058&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028794&hvtargid=pla-875065992619&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=94717458860&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416636253337&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17050816476740747058&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028794&hvtargid=pla-875065992619

I have never had brisket that was as good as BBQ beef short rib.

I have only had brisket 3-4 times in my life where I would call it "good".

And I have eaten bbq in texas.

Anything pig is, by rule, generally better than anything beef

John Cable -

In

and lol at prime. The purpose of cooking a brisket is to make something good out of what usually would be ground into hamburger or chunked into chili. 

in yall. 

broil king keg. I drink i smoke.

brisket is the cheapest cut on every cow, but even prime steers have two briskets on them.  someone's gotta cook them.

every smokehouse in lockhart and all competition teams use prime briskets.  it costs an extra $1 or 2 a pound and makes all the difference in the world.  if you're not using prime, you're cooking inferior briskets.  step up your game, son.

Festus -

your mother was a prostitute and your father molested children.

4 Likes

Black Dougie -
EFM -
Black Dougie -
NiteProwleR -

Dont overthink it. If you look it dont cook

trim that nasty huck around the middle. Itll double your stall.

Yeah - i have started cutting out as much of the hard deckle fat between the point and flat as possible.  I try to get the point to lay as flat as possible.

Also OP - if you are gonna rub that nice-looking brisket and let it sit overnight, make sure there is no salt in the rub.  

The best brisket I've cooked so far I hardly trimmed at all.  I cut out a good chunk of the deckle but not all of it.

I'm convinced the actual brisket you get is 90% of the fight.

Yeah - i get all my briskets from the same place (and same grade), but some are just a freaking headache.  I don't mind having to do a bunch of trimming on the fat cap, etc, but the way they are wrapped, most times you can't really get a good grasp of the size and quality of the point.  

picking the perfect brisket is an art.

Brockback Mountain -

I have never had brisket that was as good as BBQ beef short rib.

I have only had brisket 3-4 times in my life where I would call it "good".

And I have eaten bbq in texas.

where?  dickies?

when done right, central texas bbq brisket is about as good as beef can get.

1 Like

EFM -
Festus -

Ouch.  That hurts me to my soul

Good luck! How big is that and what time are you starting your cook?

Festus -
EFM -
Festus -

Ouch.  That hurts me to my soul

Nothing personal, man.

Where Ninjachef at? This fools brisket is the best I've ever had. Ever. 

Always get a left handed brisket.... they are more tender... 

roxa star -

Good luck! How big is that and what time are you starting your cook?

It was 14lbs. Before trimming. Starting at 5am to be safe. First time and no guest, so it’s done when it’s done lol

this is what I got

1 Like