First time brisket

Brisket for breakfast I suppose. Brisket eggs benedict anyone?

All in all for a first time brisket I think it came out really well! I just underestimated the time it was going to take so ended up resting it for about 7 hours because I had to go to sleep. Super tender and meaty as fuck! 

Id eat that.  In the future, id slice the flat a little thinner.  Not sure how you did the point but the idea is to slice the flat as you did then when you get to the point, rotate it 90° on the cutting board and keep slicing.

slumdog -

Looks great dude. Was it super juicy?

I usually have breakfast and egss the next morning if there is any left over.  When it's just me, there are lots of leftovers.

Pro-tip.  If you have leftovers, Vacuum-pack the portion after it's cooled, without slicing.  When you want to eat, heat the pack up in the microwave with the pack still sealed.  Take out and slice.

Go fat side up next time. Bark will be better,  meat juicier.

Did you FTC?

NiteProwleR -

Did you FTC?

Myth, IMO.

1 Like

Black Dougie -
slumdog -

I usually have breakfast and egss the next morning if there is any left over.  When it's just me, there are lots of leftovers.

Pro-tip.  If you have leftovers, Vacuum-pack the portion after it's cooled, without slicing.  When you want to eat, heat the pack up in the microwave with the pack still sealed.  Take out and slice.

I do this too except I heat it up in a sous vide bath.  Tastes almost as good as day 1 imo.

EFM - 
Black Dougie -
slumdog -

I do this too except I heat it up in a sous vide bath.  Tastes almost as good as day 1 imo.

Sousvide is badass for this, theres no better way imo

EFM -
NiteProwleR -

Did you FTC?

Myth, IMO.

You cook fat side down? The bark part at least is true.

NiteProwleR -
EFM -
NiteProwleR -

Did you FTC?

Myth, IMO.

Juicier is true, too. The fat renders into the meat if it's fat side up. If it's fat side down the rendered fat runs off. It's easy to see the difference in the drip pan between the two.

1 Like

Always fat side up 

1 Like
WikiTheWalrus -
NiteProwleR -
EFM -
NiteProwleR -

Did you FTC?

Myth, IMO.

Juicier is true, too. The fat renders into the meat if it's fat side up. If it's fat side down the rendered fat runs off. It's easy to see the difference in the drip pan between the two.

That is 100% a myth.  Fat doesn't render into the meat.  It seems logical, but it doesn't actually happen.  Several tests have been done on this.

As for the bark that prowler mentioned, perhaps but I've found that fat side down provides some protecting against hot spots burning or drying out the meat if you're not using an offset smoker and have direct hotspits.

1 Like

I did a brisket flat on my Traeger yesterday. Just pepper and a little salt. 6 hours at 225, then I wrapped in peach wrapping with a stick of butter, some brown sugar and water/worcestshire mix. Then about 5 more hours still at 225. Took it off at 205 degrees, wrapped in foil and then a towel and in the cooler for an hour.

Came out fantastic.

EFM - 
WikiTheWalrus -
NiteProwleR -
EFM -
NiteProwleR -

Did you FTC?

Myth, IMO.

That is 100% a myth.  Fat doesn't render into the meat.  It seems logical, but it doesn't actually happen.  Several tests have been done on this.

As for the bark that prowler mentioned, perhaps but I've found that fat side down provides some protecting against hot spots burning or drying out the meat if you're not using an offset smoker and have direct hotspits.

Source please. This is opposite to my experience 

Underground Feed - 

I did a brisket flat on my Traeger yesterday. Just pepper and a little salt. 6 hours at 225, then I wrapped in peach wrapping with a stick of butter, some brown sugar and water/worcestshire mix. Then about 5 more hours still at 225. Took it off at 205 degrees, wrapped in foil and then a towel and in the cooler for an hour.

Came out fantastic.

Pics faggot!

EFM -
WikiTheWalrus -
NiteProwleR -
EFM -
NiteProwleR -

Did you FTC?

Myth, IMO.

Interesting. I dont have an offset. What are you using. So you dont trim? Just the deckle maybe?

EFM -
Black Dougie -
slumdog -

God dammit E.  I have been on the edge of getting one for a while.  Now i have to get one.

I also smoke fat cap down.  My heat source is from below (although somewhat diffused) take advantage of this to prevent dried out spots. 

Just ran to Costco to get some drinks, eggs, and other misc. stuff.  Eased by the meat department, and -sure enough- prime brisket was back down to $3.49.  Had to go grab one.  It is OP's fault

Black Dougie - 
EFM -
Black Dougie -
slumdog -

God dammit E.  I have been on the edge of getting one for a while.  Now i have to get one.

Do it pussy!