First Time Competing

Next Sunday I am competing in my first tournament. I'm  a little nervous and have no idea what to expect.

A little background 

i started training at 26 at Underground Jiu Jitsu in South Florida with Marcelo Garcia black belts John Davis and Leo Kirby. I trained there for over about a year and a half 5-6 times a week and before I received my blue belt.  I moved oversees for a post grad program, met my wife, had kids, and before I knew it I had taken 4 years off. I have been back training 3-4 nights a week at an awesome school for the last year.

My coach asked me how I felt about competing so I signed up. It's something I would like to do and have never done before....but I'm a little nervous.

Masters Blue Belt 210LBS and over.

and 

Absolute division is what I signed up for.

I have no doubt that my Jiu Jitsu is top notch. I train with a bunch of animals.... I'm just nervous and don't want nerves to screw me up.

Trust in your abilities and accept the fact that the results are beyond your control. You only control how hard you fight for every point. Competition is nerve wracking and you'll go through a myriad of emotions leading up to your matches. That's a part of the process, you're not alone. That dude with the thick neck, cauliflower ears doing jumping jacks and sprawls with his headphones on is also nervous. Lastly, warm up thoroughly before your first match!

You think you're big time?! You're gonna fuckin DIE big time!!

As long as weight is on point you shouldn't have much to stress off.

There's gonna be six other mathces going on at the same time as yours so you shouldn't feel like all eyes are on you.

As long as you've been doing competition rounds in the gym with killers you shouldn't worry about gassing. Just warm up proper

Take a swig of water just before you step out to combat cottonmouth from nerves

Remember that it ain't the gym, guys are going to try to hurt you so fuck keeping it playful

That's all I can really tell you other than to make sure you wear clean underwear and clear your search history in case anything goes wrong.

JohnnyBrabo -

There's gonna be six other mathces going on at the same time as yours so you shouldn't feel like all eyes are on you.

As long as you've been doing competition rounds in the gym with killers you shouldn't worry about gassing. Just warm up proper

Remember that it ain't the gym, guys are going to try to hurt you so fuck keeping it playful

That's all I can really tell you other than to make sure you wear clean underwear and clear your search history in case anything goes wrong.

See that's the thing I'm in the big boy division and I don't not want motherfuckers trying to hurt me. 

Im just gonna straight up hurt them.

fuck it.

This guy gives some solid advice for tournament anxiety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h30J6t5zP_U&list=PL5awtUfQsILp7p59W5_z9g9Mjds88J9YR&index=34

I'm still a white belt but have competed in judo and now Bjj. Just make sure you weight is ok and not worry about making weight.

Just dont make it a big deal than what it really is.

DomenicVelluso -
JohnnyBrabo -

See that's the thing I'm in the big boy division and I don't not want motherfuckers trying to hurt me. 

fuck it.

Your aim should not be to hurt your opponent, but to compete well. As a guy who compwtes in masters divisions- they are smaller in size due to age. The guy across from you is likely in your boat- family, job, does bjj for health and comraderie, not to be the next ufc champ.

Regardless of outcome, you'll likely shoot the shit with dudes in your bracket after. If you compete more and more, chances are it will be with the same dudes.

Lastly- your actions on the mat at tournaments reflect on your academy. Make them proud by doing your best, not by hurting someone.

/off soapbox...

It sounds like youre ready. The above posts on warmup seem spot on. Enjoy, and good luck!

Just have fun

A good goal to have is to leave the tournament with a new idea about what to work on in your game.

microbiologynerd -
DomenicVelluso -
JohnnyBrabo -

fuck it.

Your aim should not be to hurt your opponent, but to compete well. As a guy who compwtes in masters divisions- they are smaller in size due to age. The guy across from you is likely in your boat- family, job, does bjj for health and comraderie, not to be the next ufc champ.

Regardless of outcome, you'll likely shoot the shit with dudes in your bracket after. If you compete more and more, chances are it will be with the same dudes.

Lastly- your actions on the mat at tournaments reflect on your academy. Make them proud by doing your best, not by hurting someone.

/off soapbox...

It sounds like youre ready. The above posts on warmup seem spot on. Enjoy, and good luck!

Sorry mbn, I wasn't being serious about the hurt thing. I just want to do my best. Brackets come out in two days. One more day of training tomorrow before the comp on Sunday.

Competition is tomorrow can't sleep.... here it goes.

Updates?

How did you do?

I won gold in my division!!!

Absolute was at 9am.  I was super nervous and over compensated. I went 150 mph and made mistakes and got bow and got subbed within 3 minutes. Single elimination.

My division started at 11:30am and I slowed everything down and worked my game plan. Won all my matches and got first place in my division.

That first match really helped me get rid of all the nerves and slow everything down.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

DomenicVelluso -

I won gold in my division!!!

Absolute was at 9am.  I was super nervous and over compensated. I went 150 mph and made mistakes and got bow and got subbed within 3 minutes. Single elimination.

My division started at 11:30am and I slowed everything down and worked my game plan. Won all my matches and got first place in my division.

That first match really helped me get rid of all the nerves and slow everything down.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Congrats bro! 

Yay!! The adrenaline dump is a real thing!

For me time seems to slow down when competing. No matter the outcome, nothing beats the camraderie after

Congrats, Dom! Not just on the gold but getting out there for the first time and overcoming any fears you had.

Good Job OP!  Just look at tournaments as a way to improve yourself.  Regardless of the outcome, if you learn something, it's a win in my book.

Haha thanks everyone! After the tournament I went out and got a nice Italian beef sangewhich. Most of my teammates won their divisions, which is awesome.

Tonight back to training!!

that's big time. congrats.

now the trick is doing it again.