First Time Homeowners TME

Just settled on a 5 bedroom 3 bath 2 kitchen nice house built in 1950. Anything I should look out for in the next couple days. 

What is something you would buy first thing... 

1 Like

Inspection pass? Appraisal? Did all the paperwork? I'm awaiting final appraisal on a gorgeous 3/2 but it's been a month long process, fuck.

get ready for a nightmare. Inspection doesnt mean dick. Nothing is actually covered by home insurance. you will shortly find out your neighbors fucking suck.

sorry dont mean to piss in your cereal. Congrats on the home!

3 Likes
tubuku01 -

Inspection pass? Appraisal? Did all the paperwork? I'm awaiting final appraisal on a gorgeous 3/2 but it's been a month long process, fuck.

We closed in 20 days. Appraisal came in over our contract price so we are moving in with some equity. All inspections were clean. 10 year old roof. New furnace + boiler, ac unit has around 5-7 years left on it. Front steps need to be repointed and the garage has neutral and ground wires on the same breaker. those are the two big things I need to get fixed. 

No knob and hook wiring I hope. Bought our house from the 1920’s and while it has not been horrible it is stupidly expensive to replace in order to modernize the house. 

I was going to say make sure you don't cheap out on the inspection.

You should have gotten at least a 1 year home warranty as part of the sale.

Did you check all the water pressure in the house?

did u check the sex offender map before committing?

3 Likes

In Limbo -

did u check the sex offender map before committing?

Fuck yes I have a young daughter. Also on backorder for an AR 15 too. My glock will have to work for now. Couple of old pedos within 10 miles. 70+ years old, hope they die soon

PatK -

We went with a veteran owned inspection company with stellar reviews. Dude was there for 5+ hours. Went over every inch of the place. Only issue is [we found out while signing] a sketchy retaining wall is on our property not the neighbors.  Might be pricey to have fixed. 

PatK - 

1 year home warranty lol. They gave us the scam. Waited for hours to finally get through. Finally get an Indian who doesn’t speak English. Finally sends a meth head to your house who says it’s not covered but then charges you 75 for coming.

Op is in for a doozy.

Granted we had a shady as duck relator whose suggested inspector in hindsight seems like he has a deal to not list of cover things so the realtor doesn’t lose a sale. Probably happens a lot actually

Oh and OP make sure everything is in writing!

The whole time we were buying the Realtor told us the seller was including the Lawn Mower that was in the shed. Said they are moving to a town house, didnt need it...all this shit. Guess what happened when I went for final inspection. No lawn mower in the shed. Sure I could let the whole thing fall through but at that point so much was already invested.

Have an emergency fund to deal with home issues since you have to pay for the repairs yourself.

Start saving for a new roof and HVAC unit before needing a new roof or  HVAC unit.

3 Likes

get an account at the hardware .

or find a good handyman and dont bitch when he overcharges you. 

the inspector i used was so thorough, soent at least 5 hours

He actually is the brother of one of Snakepitz's work colleagues

If anyone needs a referral for a legit inspector in NJ holla at me

Ryazzo -
PatK - 

1 year home warranty lol. They gave us the scam. Waited for hours to finally get through. Finally get an Indian who doesn’t speak English. Finally sends a meth head to your house who says it’s not covered but then charges you 75 for coming.

Op is in for a doozy.

when they dont do shit. tell them to fuck off and dont pay the 75. they have no recourse. It would cost them more than that to file in small claims. 

I started doing that when the shitty home warranty scum would show up. lol. plumber shows up and says he wont replace toilet because it was improperly installed. he says  I need 25 for the call out. i told him to get the fuck out and eat a bowl of 25 dicks. never heard a word about it. 

5 hours is way to long for an inspection. 

Mark

1 Like

TFK_Anteup13 -

Have an emergency fund to deal with home issues since you have to pay for the repairs yourself.

Start saving for a new roof and HVAC unit before needing a new roof or  HVAC unit.

This is good advice.  

Save at least 1% of the purchase price of the house annually specifically for home repairs.  So if your house is $300k, put away $3k a year in your home repair savings fund.

You may be fine for a number of years but when you need a new furnace or roof you’ll be glad you saved the money.

2 Likes

Ryazzo - Oh and OP make sure everything is in writing!

The whole time we were buying the Realtor told us the seller was including the Lawn Mower that was in the shed. Said they are moving to a town house, didnt need it...all this shit. Guess what happened when I went for final inspection. No lawn mower in the shed. Sure I could let the whole thing fall through but at that point so much was already invested.

Holy shit!

How the hell did you guys find the strength to go on!?

HELWIG - 
Ryazzo - Oh and OP make sure everything is in writing!

Holy shit!

How the hell did you guys find the strength to go on!?

What the fuck are you talking about? I already said we went through with it because of all the money already spent with inspections so it would have been to late to back out. Can you clarify what you’re asking?