First tournament advice?

i'm doing the am-can's this month for my first tournament. what's some good advice? good training stuff outside of the dojo? help me please.

Do Am-Cans have a novice division? Isn't this still a points event or did they change that because of the format? Do you have any grappling (bjj, sw, hs/college wrestling) experience?

After you answer the questions, people can probably give you decent advice.

First and foremost, KNOW THE BASIC RULES.

1. use the bathroom before fighting.
  2. dont eat greasy food-- vomit is not something the refs like on their mats.
  3. have fun, dont worry about your result as much as your effort to consistantly be on the offensive.

I only started judo last year, I was nervous for my first competition.. Try not be tense..

As for eating, don't eat anything too filling that will make you sluggish. Drink only water that day.. Maybe a banana before competition.

1. have fun, dont worry about your result as much as your effort to consistantly be on the offensive.

I just did my first Judo tourney a month ago, and this is EXACTLY what everyone told me.

load up on carbs the night before and eat some really lean, easily
digestible meat for protein. dont eat anything thats tough to digest. if
making weight is not a problem, make sure you are very very well
hydrated, but like resnick said, try to shit and piss before the matches
start. personally, i like a lot of caffeine the morning of a tournament.

just a personal preference though.

Do you have a gameplan? Do you have setups and follow up to your favorite throws? Grip breaks?

make sure you get a nice warmup before you step on to the mat.

don't get flustered if you're behind on points. have confidence that you're only one throw/pin away from the win.

Be humble in your victories and learn from your losses. Good Luck.

Listen to your coach's instructions during the match. I had the bad habit of doing whatever I felt like when I competed.