First triangle choke EVA in the UFC ----- VIDEO

CharlesLewis - 
Bunnymonster -  Royce really was a dick in those GIA videos. It's like Lebron James showing up to an under 14s pickup game, showboating and dunking on people...

Except that those 'under 14s' were SUPPOSED to be martial artists and went to the Gracies to fight them.

The point is well made though... Shit, most reasonably competent amatures would be able to beat Royce nowadays... do you remember those "takedowns"?!

what people don't realize in those vids is at the time guys like delucia with their black belts were considered lethal weapons, to take them on simply on reputation was very ballsy.......once they were exposed not so much....

stuvelo - what people don't realize in those vids is at the time guys like delucia with their black belts were considered lethal weapons, to take them on simply on reputation was very ballsy.......once they were exposed not so much....

What makes you say people don't realize this?

ttt

I wasn't bashing Royce, I just forgot how long he spent playing with guys, who were obviously utterly outmatched and hurting them for the sake of hurting them.

Not many of the GiA guys went to the Gracies looking for a fight, more likely Rorian, Rickson and Royce rocked up to their business with a video crew and asked them if they had the balls to spar with one of them in front of all their paying customers...

Back in the day I thought it was funny/cool as hell, but now I'm not so sure (perhaps I'm getting old)...

4later

" I wasn't bashing Royce, I just forgot how long he spent playing with guys, who were obviously utterly outmatched and hurting them for the sake of hurting them."

Definitely a dick move from a sporting perspective, but at the same time if you're going to have guys going to your school and challenging you, then you better make sure they never want to do it again.

...more likely Rorian, Rickson and Royce rocked up to their business with a video crew and asked them if they had the balls to spar with one of them in front of all their paying customers...

Not true. Back in the day people showed up all the time to challenge the Gracies. Ask any of the old school GJJ guys on here. Hell, people used to show up at GJJ affiliates and ask to spar. People just did not believe BJJ worked until they had it literally pounded into their heads back then.

CharlesLewis - 
...more likely Rorian, Rickson and Royce rocked up to their business with a video crew and asked them if they had the balls to spar with one of them in front of all their paying customers...

Not true. Back in the day people showed up all the time to challenge the Gracies. Ask any of the old school GJJ guys on here. Hell, people used to show up at GJJ affiliates and ask to spar. People just did not believe BJJ worked until they had it literally pounded into their heads back then.

Correct. I'm also very glad for the Gracie's dojo storming. Why let the martial arts world live in ignorance? You would rather people learn bullshit from conmen and mystics? They exposed a lot of people.

Liyon - " I wasn't bashing Royce, I just forgot how long he spent playing with guys, who were obviously utterly outmatched and hurting them for the sake of hurting them."

Definitely a dick move from a sporting perspective, but at the same time if you're going to have guys going to your school and challenging you, then you better make sure they never want to do it again.

make no mistake this wasnt a 'sport' until recently. They were fuckin fighting to prove they were better... period.
It was a different time/mentality

word

Bunnymonster -  Royce really was a dick in those GIA videos. It's like Lebron James showing up to an under 14s pickup game, showboating and dunking on people...

No, actually its more like someone Lebron's size and age coming up to him and trying to kick his ass in his own home in front of his family and then Lebron defending himself.