Firstborn Lion: The Scott Bessac Interview, Part 3

Good interview, seems like a cool dude. Too bad he didn't get more into the gang banger stuff. Was he attacked and what sort of brain damage did he sustain?

"And then I got in this whole thing with these gang bangers and got smashed in the head where they cracked my skull, and then got permanent brain damage, and that was it. I couldn't fight anymore."

Ummm...how do you NOT ask a follow up question to that. WTF!

jcblass - "And then I got in this whole thing with these gang bangers and got smashed in the head where they cracked my skull, and then got permanent brain damage, and that was it. I couldn't fight anymore."

Ummm...how do you NOT ask a follow up question to that. WTF!

My point exactly

ons ear - Bessacs striking didnt look that good at all...lol..he was sloppily slapping the guy..very odd

He fought in Pancrase and it was all open hand. I suspect that was what he was doing

Maybe I've gotten confused over the last 20 years but...

I started training with Joe Charles around the time he fought Scott Bessac.

1) My understanding is Charles submitted Bessac with a "Mountain Climber Armbar"(Similar to a Reverse Straight Armbar from Knee on Belly where you also kneel on the opponent's neck). I remember there was a drawing of that move on our gym T-shirt.

2) I also heard --not sure-- at that point it was actually the fastest submission in UFC history. (I have never seen the match though because it was an unaired prelim). Maybe I'm confusing it with another match. 

Anyone know if that info is correct...? Just curious.

Did Charles wear the Genie get up when you trained with him?

de braco - 

Did Charles wear the Genie get up when you trained with him?

We ALL did.

WOW! I always desperately wanted one, just didn't feel it appropriate without being an actual member the inner circle.

Joe the Ghetto man Charles

de braco - 

WOW! I always desperately wanted one, just didn't feel it appropriate without being an actual member the inner circle.

I don't actually know for fact, but I would bet Gene LeBell was behind him dressing that way for the fight. Joe was a student of Gene & Gokor and Gene was all about pro-wrestling style theatrics.

Arrhhhhhh!!!  Was Joe running the fat camp for ladies during that time?

de braco - 

Arrhhhhhh!!!  Was Joe running the fat camp for ladies during that time?

No, the GI Joe Bootcamp was later.

Do you remember the jiu jitsu tournament Gokors guys had at big bear? I think Joe closed out his division with Harout or Karen. No one has ever heard of it and accuses me of being "crazy". Regardless of the validity/invalidity of that claim, i'm positive i remember reading about it.

de braco - 

Do you remember the jiu jitsu tournament Gokors guys had at big bear? I think Joe closed out his division with Harout or Karen. No one has ever heard of it and accuses me of being "crazy". Regardless of the validity/invalidity of that claim, i'm positive i remember reading about it.

No. But Gene did have a place in Big Bear where he would invite certain people to come train, so it kinda makes sense.

I once helped Joe with putting on a FREE MMA tournament on the sand in Venice Beach. Had a full cage and no permits. It was insane. It got shut down by the cops. Then he did another one that did go off. at least one guy from the crowd got into the cage and fought a match. It was a different time.

I found it, wasn't Harout like i thought.

1996-12-1 Black Belt