Fish Cleaning a Japanese Aji or Hawaiian Akule

Aloha Frens,

For those city dwellers that don't eat fish with heads on, you're missing out on the best tasting fish... THE BAIT!  Anyway, here's a little video on how to clean these slippery little bastards.  Japanese Aji or Hawaiian Akule: best tasting fried goodness ever.  Will post the panko frying a little later. 

Happy Easter OG. :) fctv

8 Likes

One of the best tasting fish (we call it Atulai in Guam). 

2 Likes

What kind of tartar sauce do you prefer?

TFK_Mas Tisu - 

One of the best tasting fish (we call it Atulai in Guam). 

hell yeah and thank you for teaching me the Guamanian name for it!

samichlaus - What kind of tartar sauce do you prefer?

Samiclaus!  It's funny but I personally like it Hawaiian local w/ just soy sauce, but I butterflied a few and deep fried w/ Panko... could go awesome w/ a ponzu based Japanese sauce as well.   My dad likes Mayo/Soy mixed blech. lol

this was a deboned butterflied deep fried panko'd Akule that finding it's way back to the ocean as we speak this morning.

That looks fantastic

TFK_Mas Tisu - 

That looks fantastic

it was the first time i stripped it down that much and deboned... i know Hawaii and Guam is to fry or steam the whole sucker, but I gotta tell you, in this form it made for THE MOST SAVORY TENDER piece of fish I've eaten.  Got damn.

1 Like

We make a dipping sauce called finadene for meats and fish. Hot peppers, diced onion and scallion, vinegar and soy sauce. When making it for fish, we use lemon juice instead of vinegar, and salt instead of soy sauce, typically. 

We like to fry 'em up whole head on seasoned with salt and pepper (the crsiped fins are some of my favorite parts to eat). Damn, I want some fried fish now.....

1 Like

Looks great.

I'm a big Ponzu fan, been looking for a Yuzu tree so I can make my own. Those little bastards are expensive at the J market!

hahah i know what you mean man, the other ones we fried w/ the heads on and yessir, ate it brains and all.  problem w/ panko frying is you can't leave it in long enough to cook through all the bones as panko burns faster...

If you want to try something interesting, bread your grub with instant mashed potato flakes.

2 Likes

dis guy's a bleedah!

2 Likes

I should do one on how to clean walleye

1 Like

samichlaus - If you want to try something interesting, bread your grub with instant mashed potato flakes.

Interested sir!

tjmitch -

I should do one on how to clean walleye

This is about the walleye bait!  Lol. But friggin slaying it there!

FCTV808 -

Aloha Frens,

For those city dwellers that don't eat fish with heads on, you're missing out on the best tasting fish... THE BAIT!  Anyway, here's a little video on how to clean these slippery little bastards.  Japanese Aji or Hawaiian Akule: best tasting fried goodness ever.  Will post the panko frying a little later. 

Happy Easter OG. :) fctv

I'll pass, I've tried it all and I guess for people that like oily and fishy tasting fish then I could see how it would be good. I'll stick to scamp, hake and wahoo as the "best". 

i just went out last week and got some. next time the weather calms down i will go again. my dad likes akule, but i would much rather have aweoweo. not a big menpachi fan either.

Good stuff!!

1 Like

I just ate...but i could eat again!  

1 Like