Fish Cleaning a Japanese Aji or Hawaiian Akule

Cool. I use a fork but I'll try the spoon method next time. 

samichlaus - If you want to try something interesting, bread your grub with instant mashed potato flakes.

Holy summunabitch (or is that saminubictch)! That sounds like a possible game changer, and I don't know why that has never crossed my mind before.

My son has a gluten sensitivity (though he's been improving and I think he'll be able to fully handle gluten within the next year or so).

But in the meantime, while we enjoy things like tempura or chicken katsu, he's always had to have the home-made non-glutenous flour version instead, which sucks.

I'm gonna try the potato flakes and tell him he has uncle sami to thank.

2 Likes

Please school us (see what I did there?) on how these Akule are caught/collected.

tjmitch -

I should do one on how to clean walleye

That’s my favourite fish.

2 Likes

King Trav - 
tjmitch -

Yep, I love walleye

1 Like

FCTV808 -

this was a deboned butterflied deep fried panko'd Akule that finding it's way back to the ocean as we speak this morning.

Looks like someone ran over a turkey then tempura'd the shit out of it.

1 Like

ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
King Trav - 
tjmitch -

Yep, I love walleye

I grew up with a cabin and later home at one of the most renowned walleye lakes in Saskatchewan. My dad settled there because he’s from the area and they have great walleye fishing.

The season is closed right now so I know he’s not fishing, but if it was open that’s where he’s be right now. He’s a total jerk of a father but he’s an pretty good grandpa and the best walleye fisherman I’ve ever seen. 

2 Likes

Fight mean to hi jack with walleye talk - but they are my favorite freshwater eating fish by a mile. 

1 Like

*jaqs

1 Like

Yeah. Sorry for the thread hijack. Ha!  

That fish looked like it would be delicious. So red!

jasperb -
FCTV808 -

Aloha Frens,

For those city dwellers that don't eat fish with heads on, you're missing out on the best tasting fish... THE BAIT!  Anyway, here's a little video on how to clean these slippery little bastards.  Japanese Aji or Hawaiian Akule: best tasting fried goodness ever.  Will post the panko frying a little later. 

Happy Easter OG. :) fctv

I'll pass, I've tried it all and I guess for people that like oily and fishy tasting fish then I could see how it would be good. I'll stick to scamp, hake and wahoo as the "best". 

Normally I agree with most bait fish but big eyed Skad done w the Panko after deboning and butterflying oh man

nuff lurking2 - i just went out last week and got some. next time the weather calms down i will go again. my dad likes akule, but i would much rather have aweoweo. not a big menpachi fan either.

You guys hitting which pile?  These are from outside diamond head 

NiteProwleR -

Cool. I use a fork but I'll try the spoon method next time. 

What type of fish you scalin sir?

1 Like

Moke -

Please school us (see what I did there?) on how these Akule are caught/collected.

I’m gonna see if I can find Nitta Inovation’s video if he and I grabbing some off his boat the other week.

BubblesNS -
FCTV808 -

this was a deboned butterflied deep fried panko'd Akule that finding it's way back to the ocean as we speak this morning.

Looks like someone ran over a turkey then tempura'd the shit out of it.

Hahah yeah man it does look like that but actually where it looks like the turkeys legs, is actually the akule’s head split in half!

Awesome!

1 Like

tjmitch -

Fight mean to hi jack with walleye talk - but they are my favorite freshwater eating fish by a mile. 

Lol man this is fishing talk.  Covid Easter fishing talk.  All g!

King Trav -

Yeah. Sorry for the thread hijack. Ha!  

That fish looked like it would be delicious. So red!

Actually the meat is white, super soft and flaky... just like a lot of the women in Orange County. Yay

Doh!

FCTV808 - 
nuff lurking2 - i just went out last week and got some. next time the weather calms down i will go again. my dad likes akule, but i would much rather have aweoweo. not a big menpachi fan either.

You guys hitting which pile?  These are from outside diamond head 

i either go on my friends boat which is tied up behind his house in HK marina and we go outside portlock/kahala. or we go on my boat out on the best side. i mean the west. dont know how i could keep my sanity if i couldnt be in or on the water.