FL State Champion

Last weekend I became a state champion as a blue belt in the medium heavy division.

Facebook.com/coachjarrod1

Osss Phone Post

Idk you bro, but I must say that Lakea kid is absolutely one of the most talented kids I've ever seen on the mats.

Congrats on the title by the way! BIG UPS!

Was this the Gracie Barra state championships? Phone Post

jushintiger - I am trying my best to hold my tongue on this one.

Congrats on being the state blue belt champion, I guess.

I know it's not a world title like I'm sure you must have but it was a goal I set and achieved. Phone Post

Twister Trent - Idk you bro, but I must say that Lakea kid is absolutely one of the most talented kids I've ever seen on the mats.

Congrats on the title by the way! BIG UPS!

Lakea is VERY talented. Thanks for the support. Phone Post

Congrat's. One thing though... there is no such thing as a real "State" champion unless there is a playoff of some sort.  

So does that mean that there is no real BJJ world champion because there is no "playoffs" Phone Post

Jim, I'd count trials as playoffs. But then ADCC would be the only true world championship. Phone Post

Jim, no not really... I think there should be regional trails to qualify people for the mundials just like ADCC and the World Pro tourney. Phone Post

Not taking anything from the competitors I just don't agree with the format. Coming from a wrestling background I figured you would be more aligned with that type of format also. Phone Post

I think that the Abu Dhabi pro and
Adcc are the best format it's just they don't have enough weight classes. The world tournament is very tough though but Down with the IBJJF the rules are getting crazy and the prices are redic. Phone Post

Good point, Jim. You always hear "So-so would have done really well, shame he couldn't afford to come and compete." Serious issue in the Jiu-Jitsu world. Phone Post

yeah, I agree. Some of the rules and of course the prices are getting a little rediculous...

You know, another competition format that I like but that hasn't really caught on here in Florida is the "World Grappling League". They have several competitions a year and they utilize a point system to keep track of how many 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishes you have. (each one having their own weighted score)  At the end of the season, for the final competition, they only let those who have enough accumulated points to compete for the championship belts\trophies or whatever. I thought that was a pretty cool way of handling things... Of course you need consistent participation from competitors to keep it going though.