Flash Burn: The Silent Killer

Guys I know how it is. I’m hip. Before this week, I was wild and reckless like most of you. Who amongst us hasn’t said “it’s just a quick weld, I can squint and it works just as well as a welding mask”…

Huge mistake! Did you know every day millions of Americans are negatively affected by flash Burn? Most of them are DEAD! Please don’t take this risk.

Math doesn’t work out. If millions or even hundreds of thousands of Americans died every day, the US population would be zero. Less than 10k Americans die every day.

But math aside, thanks for the random safety message

You’re welcome. Like I always say: SAFETY FIRST!

Also my numbers are right. I checked.

Wear you’re PPE tough guy.

1 Like

I got flashed really close to my eyes once and had the feeling of sandpaper scraping my eyes that night.

Guys safety gear is very important. Please be safe out there!

You all gotta live long enough to come to the book club I’m starting. We can talk about that traveling pants book.

I’m so excited to see where the pants go visit!

I have been welding for 20+ years now. I'm not sure how many times I've gotten flash burned. Depending on the welding application & the metal itself, it can feel like a dull burn to an intense "hot sand under your eye lids" ordeal. 
 Once you've been in the trade long enough it'll happen. Whether it's your fault or the guy you're working close to, it's just one of those things that can & most likely happen. There are wives tales of cutting a potato in half & putting out on your eyes. It never worked for me. You can forget water too, that'll make them burn more. 
 If you're a day shifter like I've been through most of my time in the trade. It'll happen after you go to sleep in the middle of the night. Nothing like waking up stumbling through the dark with your eyes feeling like Satan touched them. If it lasts till the daylight, usually you can get drops from a Dr. I never made it that far. Mine was always in the middle of the night & fire intense. 

It’s just one of those things you just eat because they’re isn’t a lot you can do about it. Part of the life in the trade.

This eye thing doesn’t sound fun. I’d be so mad if my eyes were to burnt to look at and enjoy my stamp collection.

The first time I welded with an autodarkening hood , I thought, fuck this thing is clear. Its like I dont even have a hood on. Turns out that the battery was dead and it didnt turn on.

I had to drive to Walmart at 2am to buy moisturizing eye drops. The eyes hurt to bad to sleep.

But you know what they say…

If you stare into the blue arc flame for long enough, you will see naked ladies dancing

2 Likes